OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is there any Tesla that can play music in surround sound in any format at all?????
If there isn't, it just needs some programming updates, I guess?!!!

Yeah they would just need to change the code on how the media plays. At least they do over the air updates. There are 2 USB slots hidden and that's where you'd play from. Whether they ever will, well I'd be surprised... But you never know?!

I'm not on Twitter but someone should tweet Elon Musk and say the Tesla audio system sucks. It might provoke him into a response?! :cool:

For electric car alternatives...

The new VW ID3 has a 6.1 loudspeaker option on the Max trim. But it's not available yet apart from the pre-orders and again who knows if that will work? I'm a bit sceptical it will...

I know the Audi e-tron has the Bang & Olufsen 3D Premium Sound system option - and that does play 5.1 Flac files properly. But also costs a fortune and is the size of a tank!

Also the Jaguar I-Pace has a Meridian Surround Sound option which defo works with 5.1 files. If I had the money I'd love to get this... Although the Porsche Taycan has a Bose surround sound option too it seems! 😱

I'm not on Twitter but someone should tweet Elon Musk and say the Tesla audio system sucks. It might provoke him into a response?! :cool:

Well I am on Twitter, but when he have 38,8 mio followers I'm afraid a post from me will drown;)
But maybe if we were 100 posting about it? Or some one with a lot followers themselves could get some attention?:geek:

Well I am on Twitter, but when he have 38,8 mio followers I'm afraid a post from me will drown;)
But maybe if we were 100 posting about it? Or some one with a lot followers themselves could get some attention?:geek:
I'm sure someone who has an online music store might hold some sway?! :cool: Today is Tesla battery day so he might be a bit busy though. Sometimes they announce a 'one last thing' which could be slightly out there? Could include a Dolby Atmos upgrade or something? 🤔

Addendum to 1st post: added Acura ILX 2012-2015 as Panasonic ELS with DVD-A. Still trying to verify 2016-2019 audio options. Probably lesser like other Acura models in those years.

So what format should a car with surround have? Does it become obsolete when they come out with new systems? Only Dolby Surround (DS and PL versions) is standard.

And the one time I drove a car with surround, I was tricked by a siren in a radio program into thinking the siren was real. I started to pull over for an emergency vehicle. So I don't know if having surround in a car is a good idea.

I'm preparing to install amps in my car, I have several 2ch to choose from, one 4ch amp, and one 600W mono D amp that I got as a payment with an humungous ported box with 18" 900W woofer(not mounted) I don't know if the box will even fit in my car, the inputs will be accessible in the glove box so I can switch from the head unit(Kenwood KRC-636), my phone into the Involve, or discrete quad from laptop, and 8 track(coming soon).
What would be convenient for me is a standalone SD card reader that could play lossless multichannel, not sure if this exists, except as part of fancy modern head unit.

And the one time I drove a car with surround, I was tricked by a siren in a radio program into thinking the siren was real. I started to pull over for an emergency vehicle. So I don't know if having surround in a car is a good idea.
20201217_111049.jpg

"Honey, what was that?" ...craaash!

So what format should a car with surround have? Does it become obsolete when they come out with new systems? Only Dolby Surround (DS and PL versions) is standard.

Given that logic, binaural recordings should be outlawed right now.

I was listening to the quad mix of America's "Holiday" in the car a few weeks ago. I had it cranked, as always. Anyway, the song "Hollywood" played, and if you know the song, it starts out with street sounds and a car horn honking off in the distance. In the quad mix, the street sounds are spread out all around, quad demo style, and the horn comes from the rears. Of course, I thought there was a car back there honking at me. (For a micro-second)

Heck, I've posted here before that when I was in High School there was a song called "Indiana Wants Me" by R. Dean Taylor (I think), that had a siren in it, and even in old time stereo AM radio, I subconsciously looked for a cop car when I'd hear that. Can't blame that one on surround.

Besides, I love shit like this. If you cannot handle distractions while you're driving, well, you shouldn't be driving! Really.

I was listening to the quad mix of America's "Holiday" in the car a few weeks ago. I had it cranked, as always. Anyway, the song "Hollywood" played, and if you know the song, it starts out with street sounds and a car horn honking off in the distance. In the quad mix, the street sounds are spread out all around, quad demo style, and the horn comes from the rears. Of course, I thought there was a car back there honking at me. (For a micro-second)

Heck, I've posted here before that when I was in High School there was a song called "Indiana Wants Me" by R. Dean Taylor (I think), that had a siren in it, and even in old time stereo AM radio, I subconsciously looked for a cop car when I'd hear that. Can't blame that one on surround.

Besides, I love shit like this. If you cannot handle distractions while you're driving, well, you shouldn't be driving! Really.
That made me think of a (then) young lady of my acquaintance who started shouting "will you look at me when I'm talking", unfortunately I was driving on a busy road!

Still own a 2007 Acura TL (my driveway second car) with DVDA surround and thus model still has the cassette player. Wish they had the ability to play Bluetooth through the speakers from an iPhone but still it’s fun to put on a DVDA for passengers.
I mostly listen to XM Radio while in that car.
If I ever upgrade (and with only 80000 miles, I’m in no hurry), I would probably go for one of those new 2021 TXL’s A-SPEC’s in blue.

Still own a 2007 Acura TL (my driveway second car) with DVDA surround and thus model still has the cassette player. Wish they had the ability to play Bluetooth through the speakers from an iPhone but still it’s fun to put on a DVDA for passengers.
I mostly listen to XM Radio while in that car.
If I ever upgrade (and with only 80000 miles, I’m in no hurry), I would probably go for one of those new 2021 TXL’s A-SPEC’s in blue.
There are Bluetooth adaptor boxes out there. I tried an iPod interface to XM input. But it not stay initialized so I gave up. What color is your TL?

Hi - you can add Jaguar to the list. I bought a 2010 XJ Jaguar a few months ago. I bought it for the monster engine, real world performance and its uncompromising engineering and build quality. The surround sound system is simply stunning and a real bonus in the purchase.

Here's the rub . . . so be kind to me: I have only been listening to two channel source material. So I honestly can't tell you how good the surround experience is. If there is interest, I'll get my act together, try some and report back.

I've included the blurb from the original Sales brochure below. A rare time when the marketing blurb matches reality.
The feature that losslessly auto-rips your ten favourite CDs (red book) is brilliantly executed.

XJ offers a stunning 1200W Bowers & Wilkins surround sound system - arguably the most accomplished ever to be integrated into the interior of a car.
Featuring the Audyssey MultEQ® audio tuning system, it delivers exceptional clarity through 20 speakers enhanced by the ultimate in digital sound processing technology.

Bowers & Wilkins 1200W premium Surround Sound System
Dolby® Pro Logic® IIx or DTS TM Neo 6, with 20 speakers including 2 subwoofers and 2 front door woofers.
Hard disk drive (HDD) for storage of up to 10 CD’s of uncompressed music.
In addition to the cabin audio output this system features 3 additional audio channels which can be accessed through the WhiteFire® digital wireless headphones when either Dual View or Rear Seat Entertainment is specified. The headphone system includes Dolby® Headphone Surround when listening to the DVD source.

Hi - you can add Jaguar to the list. I bought a 2010 XJ Jaguar a few months ago. I bought it for the monster engine, real world performance and its uncompromising engineering and build quality. The surround sound system is simply stunning and a real bonus in the purchase.

Here's the rub . . . so be kind to me: I have only been listening to two channel source material. So I honestly can't tell you how good the surround experience is. If there is interest, I'll get my act together, try some and report back.

I've included the blurb from the original Sales brochure below. A rare time when the marketing blurb matches reality.
The feature that losslessly auto-rips your ten favourite CDs (red book) is brilliantly executed.

Sure. Nice features, some of them unique. Doesn't spell out DVD-Audio specifically in the blurb; perhaps we can find a list of formats supported.

@timbre4 - I did some quick tests and thought pictures would also help here. Also located the full tech specs (see below pics).

TLDR Version: Jaguar XJ directly supports anything on DVD format (DVD-A, Dolby/DTS multichannel, etc) through the disc player. USB interface is more limited: 2 channel, 48kHz 24 bit max MP3/WMA/AAC (but interestingly it will attempt to play ACC files up to 96KHz). I have read the USB interface will support DivX so I'll give that a shot to see if I can transcode a DVD-A into a multi-channel DivX file for USB playback. Will report back. Enjoy.

01-dvd-a-setup-001.jpg

First DVD-A I tried. :)
02-dvd-a-playback-options.jpg

All the available multi-channel formats played perfectly
03-dolby-448kbps.jpg

It also played the 640kbps fine but I forgot to capture
04-dvd-a-tools.jpg

The very useful 'Tools' menu on the WYWH disk let me fully test and set-up discrete channels
05-dvd-a-dolby-dts.jpg

The first thing I ever heard from Giles Martin. The restoration really comes to life . . . amazing
06-video-dts.jpg

Thought I also try a video disc . . . worked perfectly
07-xj-b&w-tech-specs.jpg

Tech Specs - Part 1
08-xj-b&w-tech-specs.jpg

Tech Spec - part 2

Quick update: I transcoded a DVD-A disc to a DivX container, copied it to a thumb-drive and it worked! So the XJ's USB interface supports multi-channel audio.

The headline toolset: passkey (to unlock the disc) and DivX COnverter (the official one) is all that is needed. I'll refine the process a bit and share more if others are interested.

Simplified down to a single app. DVDFab is what I normally use for Home Theatre duties and it comes with the licensed DivX codec so this makes the DVD-A transcoding a one-stop shop. I took a look at the DivX audio specs (posted below). The XJ will only support the two right hand columns. Just trying a few variations like 448kbs ACC encoding.

Merry Christmas everyone, time to put away technical interests and spend time with the family. :)

DivX-Cert_Profiles_Tech-Specs.png

Back