OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I am intrigued, would this be the first Blu Ray used in a car 'infotainment' system. I had a look back but could not see any of the systems mentioned earlier in this thread had anything other than DVD or USB drives. Wow, so that would mean HD video that turns off when you move instead of SD! ;)

Seriously though I guess this would be a purely data driven system without an optical drive but if that is the case then Atmos digital files will need to be available for download unless it is to be cloud based only? I don't know about cars outside of the UK but it is illegal to have video from a disc whilst the car is moving hence my cheeky comment above. This disables the disc menu so you have to get an album playing before moving. If the USB inputs are used, say with FLAC files, the usual menu works fine.

This was a long winded way of saying that Atmos in cars can probably only really work if digital Atmos files can be purchased. I know many of us in the QQ family can extract them but for a commercial system from a company like Panasonic there would need to be software available wouldn't there?

Until then my Skoda will keep me entertained in glorious 5.1. As an aside I recently discovered that it supports a 2TB hard drive full of 96/24 FLAC albums which was a massive surprise as I had thought the max was a 128GB USB or SD card. Now I just need to get out of lockdown and go on a 15,000 mile journey!

Seriously though I guess this would be a purely data driven system without an optical drive but if that is the case then Atmos digital files will need to be available for download unless it is to be cloud based only?
This was a long winded way of saying that Atmos in cars can probably only really work if digital Atmos files can be purchased. I know many of us in the QQ family can extract them but for a commercial system from a company like Panasonic there would need to be software available wouldn't there?

Yeah! Good question!
Anyone knows about any plans for turning Dolby Atmos into multichannel flac? I wonder how Tidal are streaming D.A. As compressed ac3? Is this the only way?
If it never will be able to turn into mc flac then it's a problem! How long will Blu-ray players live?

I have lost hope for downloads of multichannel music (of artists I care about) to ever become available in any notable amount. There are millions of vehicles on roads around the world right now that support 5.1 FLAC or WAV. The record labels have determined that’s a market not worth pursuing.

Therefore, I am not expecting anything to come about due to in-car Atmos.

We already have cars with ceiling speakers like what Acura, Mercedes, and Lexus are doing.

The only company pushing Atmos would be Panasonic in Acura with ceiling height channels.

Not surround, I don't think, but still cool, McIntosh and Jeep.
The McIntosh MX950 Entertainment System for the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L features 19 speakers in 12 optimized locations to deliver precision sound through every inch of the vehicle. A 17 channel amplifier delivers up to 950 Watts of power.​
JP021_224GC crop CC1000.jpg

The McIntosh MX950 Entertainment System for the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L features 19 speakers in 12 optimized locations to deliver precision sound through every inch of the vehicle. A 17 channel amplifier delivers up to 950 Watts of power.​
View attachment 62855
Wow VU Meters in a car!! :SB

Very nice, but it makes me crazy. Why have all of those amps and speakers and NOT be compatible with 5.1 or 7.1? What a waste of an opportunity for those with the desire to go beyond the left and right

Wow VU Meters in a car!! :SB
There is no way on this planet I could drive a car with two massive VU meters, or any size for that matter. By which I mean I would be straight into the first available tree as my eyes would never divert from the hypnotic pointers. Frankly it would be less distracting for me to watch Star Wars whilst driving!!!:rolleyes:

That will give all the Mac guys enormous erections. Thanks for posting this up for us.
This collaboration will definitely shift a few units, heh.

But hey, phooey on that virtual stuff! Back in the late '70s I had one of these on a nicely angled custom transmission-hump mount in my '66 Olds Dynamic 88! (Removable of course.):

Sony TC-153SD .jpg

It was a little distracting for awhile, but I eventually stopped gawking at the meters. Passengers were definitely impressed, though.

Last edited:
This collaboration will definitely shift a few units, heh.

But hey, phooey on that virtual stuff! Back in the late '70s I had one of these on a nicely angled custom transmission-hump mount in my '66 Olds Dynamic 88! (Removable of course.):

View attachment 62918

It was a little distracting for awhile, but I eventually stopped gawking at the meters. Passengers were definitely impressed, though.
In 1968 I had a Lafayette Radio reel to reel with an inverter, tube amp and speakers on the fold down rear seat of my 1966 Corvair Corsa. Does that count??

View attachment 62855

I don't care about functionality...that is flat out awesome :cool:

Back