OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As many of you know, the Hyundai Genesis has first-class DVD-Audio support from 2009-2011. (I drive a 2011).
I test-drove a 2012 and I'm not sure whether they improved the DVD-Audio support or hurt it... but I digress.
The 2015-2016 Genesis, as far as I know, dropped DVD-Audio support and replaced it with nothing.

Enter the 2017 Genesis G80. Hyundai has spun off its own luxury brand named after the Genesis sedan. The G80 is the replacement for the Hyundai Genesis; the G90 will be the replacement for the Equus.

Anyway -- talk about burying the lede -- the new G80 (V6 Ultimate or V8) supports DVD-Audio.

Let me say that again.

THE NEW 2017 GENESIS G80 SUPPORTS DVD-AUDIO!!!
Does it play multichannel flac files via usb?

I had an Acura similar to yours and never knew that it played USB 5.1. And you can imagine how many DTS CD's I ended up making, which is such a pain in the butt
What year Acura vehicle plays DTS-CDs and 5.1 in USB? What file format/sample size/bit rate? My buddy has a 2015 that I know plays DTS-CDs but he is not aware of USB ability. Thanks.

As far as I remember, it's either USB, or DTS/CD'S; I've had 8 Acura's, since '98
My current 2021/TLX/ASPEC, is USB/ONLY
My previous 2018/TLX/ASPEC, was CD/DTS/ONLY

What year Acura vehicle plays DTS-CDs and 5.1 in USB? What file format/sample size/bit rate? My buddy has a 2015 that I know plays DTS-CDs but he is not aware of USB ability. Thanks.
My previous 2018/TLX/ASPEC, was CD/DTS/ONLY

All models with the 'ELS Studio' infotainment package (2015 - 2018) will play DTS-CDs via the disc player and 5.1 AAC files off a USB stick. I haven't tested any bitrates beyond 320 kbps variable (that's where Foobar2000's built-in AAC encoder maxes out), but there are reports on the Acurazine forum that it'll handle higher bitrates. The only limitation I've discovered thus far is that the files must be 5.1 - 4.0, 4.1, and 5.0 configurations will not play.

Does it play multichannel flac files via usb?
To answer my own question, no, it doesn't. Or, at least I wasn't able to get it to. It does play DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, and DTS-CD discs, though.
Edit: This is referring the the Genesis G80.

Last edited:
All, yes, can confirm this.

In my search for a replacement vehicle to my ELS equipped 2014 Acura I have been bringing a couple of multi-channel DVD-A/DVD-V/DTS-CD discs along for test drives.

The Genesis G80 Ultimate with the 17-speaker Lexicon 7.1 system I test drove was able to read and play all my discs just fine. It was also nice to see the menus and graphics during playback, as the Acura ELS has a very simple player implementation that only displays track numbers within a group.

I will probably go back for a longer test drive, this car had just come in to the local Hyundai dealer and was still covered in plastic/etc in areas that may have hindered acoustics.
Well, maybe it depends on the model year and/or what is meant by "supports DVD-Audio." I recently bought a 2018 G80, and although it does play DVD-Audio discs, the MLP audio track does not show up and therefore does not play. The one exception I've come across so far is Better Than Ezra's "How Does Your Garden Grow?" disc, which apparently has only a 24/48 MLP track and nothing else. The DTS Surround still sounds good on other discs, though.

I also found out the USB port plays only MP3 and WMA files. I've been trying to find ways to convert multichannel FLAC files to either multichannel WMA files, which the USB may or may not play, or to DVD-Video discs (with DTS?). Or, if there is some other way to play the multichannel FLAC files from home on the car's sound system, I'd be happy.

How is the sound on the 2021 Acura TLX A-spec? I’ve seen some nice reviews on YouTube but does it really kick ass with classic rock? I know reviews always play that jazz funk stuff because of licensing issues but does it recreate what say GnR sounds like on 11? Many car systems just don’t really kick ass unless you put in your own amps and subs etc...

My buddy just purchased a new Audi Q5; audio is pretty good with a USB surround input
Not like my 17 speaker, 720 Watt/ELS, but passable
I haven't heard the ELS system (wrong side of the pond!) but I'd agree the B&O surround system in my new Audi A5 sounds good but not as good as I'd expected for the price. Sadly no form of disc option at all, and the USB sockets are by the 12V socket or in the centre consul under the armrest - Audi suggest the use of cables to connect so you don't break the sockets! Which I have done, but the old system used SDCards by the CD/DVD Player in the glove box, so less likely to be damaged. Morph The Cat in surround sound does bring a smile to my face whilst driving though!

How is the sound on the 2021 Acura TLX A-spec? I’ve seen some nice reviews on YouTube but does it really kick ass with classic rock? I know reviews always play that jazz funk stuff because of licensing issues but does it recreate what say GnR sounds like on 11? Many car systems just don’t really kick ass unless you put in your own amps and subs etc...
Kicks major ass.

Best that I've heard to date; I ONLY listen to CLASSIC ROCK!
I've had 8 Acura's since '98; this one KICKS BUTT!

Still very happy with my Skoda 5.1 system which is now run in and provides some incredible sound. It's a little dependent on the original recording / mastering quality but can be great. I recently made FLAC versions of the Monster Audio discs of George Benson "Songs and Stories" and also Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company" both of which sound amazing to my old ears. Proper bass too, not over powering just powering! (I feel sure that the sub-woofer makes the car go quicker!)

However, after driving the car for a pretty long time now I had a full Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment when I realised something was just not right. Playing my FLAC files of the Doobies Quadio (or should I say Doh-bies in my case) I kept thinking something was odd. I finally tracked the problem to a completely silent rear right channel. After much too-ing and and fro-ing I found that every 4.0 FLAC file I have tried plays only in three channels - no sound in the rear right. 5.1 is fine and full blooded but 4.0 will not decode properly. Funny how these car systems all differ. I have no problem with sampling or bit rates, anything up to 24/192, but compromised by 4.0!

So, I am aware that there are many of my fellow QQ'ers who have massive amounts of knowledge on FLAC and digital files generally compared to me and wondered if anyone has some straight forward (by which I mean simple for a simple chap) tips on how to fool the system into thinking it's 5.1 or converting a 4.0 into a 5.1 FLAC please? All assistance will be gratefully received. Thanks

Still very happy with my Skoda 5.1 system which is now run in and provides some incredible sound. It's a little dependent on the original recording / mastering quality but can be great. I recently made FLAC versions of the Monster Audio discs of George Benson "Songs and Stories" and also Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company" both of which sound amazing to my old ears. Proper bass too, not over powering just powering! (I feel sure that the sub-woofer makes the car go quicker!)

However, after driving the car for a pretty long time now I had a full Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment when I realised something was just not right. Playing my FLAC files of the Doobies Quadio (or should I say Doh-bies in my case) I kept thinking something was odd. I finally tracked the problem to a completely silent rear right channel. After much too-ing and and fro-ing I found that every 4.0 FLAC file I have tried plays only in three channels - no sound in the rear right. 5.1 is fine and full blooded but 4.0 will not decode properly. Funny how these car systems all differ. I have no problem with sampling or bit rates, anything up to 24/192, but compromised by 4.0!

So, I am aware that there are many of my fellow QQ'ers who have massive amounts of knowledge on FLAC and digital files generally compared to me and wondered if anyone has some straight forward (by which I mean simple for a simple chap) tips on how to fool the system into thinking it's 5.1 or converting a 4.0 into a 5.1 FLAC please? All assistance will be gratefully received. Thanks
Sent you a PM about MMH

As some of you know I’ve been on an ‘on again, off again’ quest for a new SUV with surround FLAC playback.

So yesterday I popped into my local Ford dealer while my A5 was being detailed just up the road and I discovered Ford is now offering Band and Olufsen surround systems as an option or included across all their range in ‘top end’ variants.

So now I’m looking a ordering a 2023 Ford Everest Platinum (comes with B&O) which has a new design and based on the 2022 Ford Ranger 4x4 chassis and mechanicals. The Everest is not currently sold in US but rumour it may replace the Explorer next year. It’s currently sold in AU, Asia and Middle East only.

Details are only just emerging on new 2023 Everest but I did find some hires photos that confirm B&O speakers in the Platinum model. So I’m going to pull the trigger (I was very close to nabbing a 2021 Toyota Landcruiser Prado - the reason my A5 was being detailed was to get a trade-in offer from the Toyota dealer)

https://www.ford.com.au/showroom/future-vehicle/next-gen-everest

As some of you know I’ve been on an ‘on again, off again’ quest for a new SUV with surround FLAC playback.

So yesterday I popped into my local Ford dealer while my A5 was being detailed just up the road and I discovered Ford is now offering Band and Olufsen surround systems as an option or included across all their range in ‘top end’ variants.

So now I’m looking a ordering a 2023 Ford Everest Platinum (comes with B&O) which has a new design and based on the 2022 Ford Ranger 4x4 chassis and mechanicals. The Everest is not currently sold in US but rumour it may replace the Explorer next year. It’s currently sold in AU, Asia and Middle East only.

Details are only just emerging on new 2023 Everest but I did find some hires photos that confirm B&O speakers in the Platinum model. So I’m going to pull the trigger (I was very close to nabbing a 2021 Toyota Landcruiser Prado - the reason my A5 was being detailed was to get a trade-in offer from the Toyota dealer)

Detailing a vehicle to get a trade in offer at the dealership is waste of money

I work with some folks in the U.S that look at the Ford Everest with great envy. Makes me weep for the Car industry we lost here ... but also nice to have a market exclusive car the US can't have. :)

Back