OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some of you know I’ve been on an ‘on again, off again’ quest for a new SUV with surround FLAC playback.

So yesterday I popped into my local Ford dealer while my A5 was being detailed just up the road and I discovered Ford is now offering Band and Olufsen surround systems as an option or included across all their range in ‘top end’ variants.

So now I’m looking a ordering a 2023 Ford Everest Platinum (comes with B&O) which has a new design and based on the 2022 Ford Ranger 4x4 chassis and mechanicals. The Everest is not currently sold in US but rumour it may replace the Explorer next year. It’s currently sold in AU, Asia and Middle East only.

Details are only just emerging on new 2023 Everest but I did find some hires photos that confirm B&O speakers in the Platinum model. So I’m going to pull the trigger (I was very close to nabbing a 2021 Toyota Landcruiser Prado - the reason my A5 was being detailed was to get a trade-in offer from the Toyota dealer)

https://www.ford.com.au/showroom/future-vehicle/next-gen-everest
I tried out the B&O Play Sound system in a couple of Ford UK models, but alas it didn't have 5.1 playback. Using a speaker test file and different songs. This should be different to the specific B&O Surround system that's offered (or used to be*) in the Audi models?

If you wanted to go for an electric SUV I know the Jaguar I-Pace can defo playback 5.1 through it's Meridian surround package. But it might not be what you're looking for. The new Lucid Air is going to be Dolby Atmos compatible! But will be a while before deliveries on that I think...

*For the launch of the new Audi Q4 E-tron, Audi switched to having a Sonos sound system rather then the great B&O Surround system. This didn't support 5.1 playback. Maybe a firmware update could fix it but I couldn't get it to play 5.1 from a USB. You can't stop progress, eh!

So, I am aware that there are many of my fellow QQ'ers who have massive amounts of knowledge on FLAC and digital files generally compared to me and wondered if anyone has some straight forward (by which I mean simple for a simple chap) tips on how to fool the system into thinking it's 5.1 or converting a 4.0 into a 5.1 FLAC please?
Hi Omega,
It is your unit that plays the surround. If I understand your question correctly, plays any format of 5.1 but not 4.0, rear right is silent.
Without changing compression or bit rate, re-format the 4.0 folder to 5.1, should do the trick.

I tried out the B&O Play Sound system in a couple of Ford UK models, but alas it didn't have 5.1 playback. Using a speaker test file and different songs. This should be different to the specific B&O Surround system that's offered (or used to be*) in the Audi models?

If you wanted to go for an electric SUV I know the Jaguar I-Pace can defo playback 5.1 through it's Meridian surround package. But it might not be what you're looking for. The new Lucid Air is going to be Dolby Atmos compatible! But will be a while before deliveries on that I think...

*For the launch of the new Audi Q4 E-tron, Audi switched to having a Sonos sound system rather then the great B&O Surround system. This didn't support 5.1 playback. Maybe a firmware update could fix it but I couldn't get it to play 5.1 from a USB. You can't stop progress, eh!

Hey thanks for posting this. No I haven’t heard a B&O system in a Ford yet. I was planning to do that asap. Possibly today if I can find a B&O system in one.

I’m planning some outback trips over next 3 or 4 years so the iPace is out, no charging in the bush. I need a real 4x4 too (off roading).

Last year I got close to pulling the trigger on an Audi Q3 Sportback with the new Sonos speakers. The dealer reckoned it would play MCH since the previous B&O did. But I wasn’t going to believe that until I tested. I pulled out of testing because he sent me a formal offer for last one in stock at $1000 over the listed drive away price on his website (Covid tax). I never returned any of his calls after that. (at that time we weren’t planning outback/off road driving).

I’ve done a lot of googling on the Ford B&O system but nothing came up on surround playback. All the chat was about sound quality and why streaming at 64kbps sounded crap. What is FLAC? etc.

EDIT: I did find a post saying it plays Atmos with Car Play via an iPhone streaming Apple Music. But I’m not really sure that’s heard in surround and not just upmixed from stereo.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for posting this. No I haven’t heard a B&O system in a Ford yet. I was planning to do that asap. Possibly today if I can find a B&O system in one.

I’m planning some outback trips over next 3 or 4 years so the iPace is out, no charging in the bush. I need a real 4x4 too (off roading).

Last year I got close to pulling the trigger on an Audi Q3 Sportback with the new Sonos speakers. The dealer reckoned it would play MCH since the previous B&O did. But I wasn’t going to believe that until I tested. I pulled out of testing because he sent me a formal offer for last one in stock at $1000 over the listed drive away price on his website (Covid tax). I never returned any of his calls after that. (at that time we weren’t planning outback/off road driving).

I’ve done a lot of googling on the Ford B&O system but nothing came up on surround playback. All the chat was about sound quality and why streaming at 64kbps sounded crap. What is FLAC? etc.

EDIT: I did find a post saying it plays Atmos with Car Play via an iPhone streaming Apple Music. But I’m not really sure that’s heard in surround and not just upmixed from stereo.

There is a B&O office in Adelaide. Links below to the automotive partnership page where you can pick a Ford model and download a fact sheet.
Not sure if this will completely help but a few extra pieces to the puzzle perhaps.

B&O Automotive Partnership Page

Ford Expedition (example fact sheet)

Thanks. I have found the B&O Play system (mentioned earlier as a Not Surround system) is different to other B&O systems. So maybe the others can do surround. Harmon Kardon have got involved recently to add additional processing to new Ford B&O systems.

The new F150 B&O with 18 speakers including roof speakers and does Atmos (apparently) - Apple Music -> iPhone -> Apple Car Play -> B&O

Last edited:
If it doesn't have ceiling height channels. It isn't surround lol

Reason why I'm looking at Acura, Lincoln, and Mercedes. But I might go Lexus if I have no other choice.

Does anybody know if the ELS system in the 2nd gen NSX supports surround playback? It has enough channels that are in the right places (even a center surround speaker!), and since some of the parts of that car is shared with other cars in their lineup, I would imagine that it should support it. The only info I can find on it is really this video

Does anybody know if the ELS system in the 2nd gen NSX supports surround playback? It has enough channels that are in the right places (even a center surround speaker!), and since some of the parts of that car is shared with other cars in their lineup, I would imagine that it should support it. The only info I can find on it is really this video

The NSX is one bad ass Acura. Don't see to many of these on the road. Best way to find out is to ask the ELS folks on their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/ELSPremiumAudio/
NSX.jpg

The NSX is one bad ass Acura. Don't see to many of these on the road. Best way to find out is to ask the ELS folks on their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/ELSPremiumAudio/
View attachment 88715
Just checked my facebook messanger and I got a response a couple days ago! Unfortunately it seems that the NSX isn't capable of discrete 5.1 playback. The reasoning seems to be that the head unit in the car isn't capable. I'm sure they tried, it seems to be that there has been a lot of constraints out of their control when putting a sound system in a car like this. However they did mention that the system is capable of playing back simulated surround sound stuff which is cool at least. Regardless though, I'm still sure that the ELS system sounds great in the car and is probably the best sound system in any supercar. Big props to the ELS guys for giving me a response for my obscure question!

Anyone have experience with or know anything about the Bose system in the 2023 Honda CR-V? From the Honda website:

"The Bose premium sound system uses 12 speakers, including a subwoofer, and Centerpoint surround-sound technology to create a concert-like listening experience."

I'm in the market for a small SUV, and I definitely want the best sound system possible within my budget. This caught my attention. I'm guessing this is some type of faux surround technology? Probably wishful thinking that this would play Atmos from Apple music?

Any other recommendations for a compact SUV with a good sound system... ideally with support for 5.1 FLAC and/or streaming Atmos? Most likely the luxury brands are out of my budget.

and Centerpoint surround-sound technology to create a concert-like listening experience."
This sounds like more Pro-Logic-esque shenanigans. How hard can it be to put real surround in cars guys? Come on? Why is every infotainment system programmed worse than some cheap Chinese iPod knock-off? I only know of a few cars that can even handle FLAC properly, let alone surround.

Anyone have experience with or know anything about the Bose system in the 2023 Honda CR-V? From the Honda website:

"The Bose premium sound system uses 12 speakers, including a subwoofer, and Centerpoint surround-sound technology to create a concert-like listening experience."

I'm in the market for a small SUV, and I definitely want the best sound system possible within my budget. This caught my attention. I'm guessing this is some type of faux surround technology? Probably wishful thinking that this would play Atmos from Apple music?

Any other recommendations for a compact SUV with a good sound system... ideally with support for 5.1 FLAC and/or streaming Atmos? Most likely the luxury brands are out of my budget.

For the real thing (Atmos) you're probably looking at an Acura RDX. I believe this has been around for 3-4 model years now.

For the real thing (Atmos) you're probably looking at an Acura RDX. I believe this has been around for 3-4 model years now.
Ugh, I want it! I might almost be able to stretch the budget if that 3D system came with tha RDX base model, rather than the A-Spec package. Maybe by the time I’m in the market for my next next car true immersive systems will be easy to come by. 😁

I'm just starting my search for a new vehicle. We currently have a 2015 Acura RDX, for which my wife said I purchased an audio system, with a car around it. She's not far off. But she drives it more now than I do. :)

As for Atmos, it appears to be quite limited right now. So having an Atmos capable system will probably come down to "timing".

And just some research:
News on Atmos for cars
https://professional.dolby.com/music/dolby-atmos-for-cars/news/#gref
Atmos in Mercedes
https://professional.dolby.com/events/paris-auto-show/
No mention of Atmos for Acura
https://www.acura.com/els-studio

I'm just starting my search for a new vehicle. We currently have a 2015 Acura RDX, for which my wife said I purchased an audio system, with a car around it. She's not far off. But she drives it more now than I do. :)

As for Atmos, it appears to be quite limited right now. So having an Atmos capable system will probably come down to "timing".

And just some research:
News on Atmos for cars
https://professional.dolby.com/music/dolby-atmos-for-cars/news/#gref
Atmos in Mercedes
https://professional.dolby.com/events/paris-auto-show/
No mention of Atmos for Acura
https://www.acura.com/els-studio
Do you know do all TECH models (TLX,MDX) for Acura still do 5.1 FLAC or is it just RDX? I am confused and looking to get a new car myself?
(I know the Advance does - unsure for the rest.

Back