OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This is a list of currently available vehicles with factory installed surround music systems. (Video systems w/Dolby Digital for movies are not included)
Please respond to this thread if you have actually used/heard/seen a vehicle with a factory installed surround system that is not listed.

2023 Update: EFFORTS ARE BEING MADE TO UPDATE THIS MASTER LIST. ADDITIONAL INFO / VERIFICATIONS WELCOMED
NOTE: Head units may differ within years of surround options; do not assume the unit is identical across all years listed. Timbre4
------------------------------------------------------------------
ACURA / PANASONIC 'ELS' SYSTEM REFERENCE:
  • ELS Surround = first generation that fully supported DVD-Audio [2004-2015]
  • ELS Studio = next generation - no longer supported DVD-Audio, but did support DTS encoded CDs [2014-2018, depending on model]
  • ELS Studio 3D = current generation which supports high definition digital [FLAC] file formats. No optical disc drive included. [2019-2023]
------------------------------------------------------------------

Acura ILX
> 2013-2015: ELS Surround - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
> 2016-2019: ELS Studio - DTS CD only
> 2020-2022: ELS Studio 3D [5.1 files via USB]
Acura Integra
> 2023-present: ELS Studio 3D [5.1 files via USB]
Acura MDX
> 2007-2013: ELS Surround - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
> 2014-2017: ELS Studio - DTS CD only
> 2022-present: ELS Studio 3D [5.1 files via USB]
Acura NSX
>
need info
Acura RDX
>
2007-2015: ELS Surround - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
> 2016-2018: ELS Studio - DTS CD only
> 2019-present: ELS Studio 3D [5.1 via USB]
Acura RL
> 2005-2013: BOSE 5.1 - DVD-Audio/DTS
Acura TL
> 2004-2007: ELS Surround - DVD-Audio/DTS
> 2008-2014: ELS Surround - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura TLX
> 2015-2018: ELS Studio - DTS CD only
Acura TSX
> 2009-2014: ELS Surround - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura ZDX
> 2010-2013: ELS Surround - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII

Buick Enclave
> 2008-?: DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Buick LaCrosse
> 2010-?: DVD-Audio/DTS/DD/DVD-Video

Cadillac Escalade ESV / EXT
> 2007: DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac SRX
>
2007: DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac STS
Cadillac STSV
Cadillac DTS
>2007-2008: DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video

GMC Acadia (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video

Hyundai Genesis
> 2009-?: DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video

Infiniti M35/M45
> 2007-?: BOSE DVD-Audio/DVD-Video

Lexus IS
> 2006-?: Mark Levinson - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus LS
> 2007: Mark Levinson - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus GS
Lexus ES

Saturn Outlook
> 2008: DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone verify the status of the Cadillac, Infinity, Lexus, and Chrysler vehicles with surround sound. They don't have to be DVD-A, but should have some sort of logic to the surround (i.e. DTS, DPLII), not just a multi-speaker system with a "surround" button.

Lexus IS350 (2006-present) Mark Levinson sound system - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital

I assume all Lexus vehicles have this option. I picked up my Lexus last fall and have not had time to play with it much as it is now parked for winter. I do know if you want to play Dolby Digital the car has to be parked with the parking brake on so the video screen can be active, then you can select your options like surround or stereo. Once that is done you can drive away with your option selected, it is setup like that so you can't watch movies while driving. I am a little disappointed so far with the results for DVD-Audio, it is not as discrete as I was expecting but perhaps when I have more time to play things will get sorted out.

OK, here's the General Motors list so far;

Cadillac

2007 Escalade ESV
2007 Escalade EXT
2007 SRX
2007 STS
2007 STSV

GMC

2007 Acadia

Saturn

2008 Outlook

Buick

2008 Enclave

These are all equipped with the Bose 5.1 discrete surround sound system with the DVD based navigation radio. They will play DVD-Audio, DTS, DVD-Video, CD, MP3, and XM radio as well.

Dennis

Question (and apologies if this has been asked and answered before):

Why have there never been SACD players in autos? Or universal players? At least I have never seen any mention of them in this forum.

So, the Acura systems don't play DVD-Video discs, even without showing the video? If so, that's a shame. If they have DTS and DPL II processing, why not Dolby Digital? I have a large and growing collection of concert DVD's, and I assumed I would be able to play them in the Acura TL or MDX that I hope to get soon.

So, the Acura systems don't play DVD-Video discs, even without showing the video? If so, that's a shame. If they have DTS and DPL II processing, why not Dolby Digital? I have a large and growing collection of concert DVD's, and I assumed I would be able to play them in the Acura TL or MDX that I hope to get soon.

You are correct. The ELS System in the dashboard of the TL, RDX and MDX, as well as the Bose System in the RL, do not play DVD-Videos, even with the video "shunted". The MDX will play them w/ full Dolby Digital with the optional rear seat video system - but since I do not own one, I have to say that I have never heard nor verified this.

Jon,

I'm just starting to look at new cars, and will only buy one with 5.1 surround capability. Based on info from manufacturer web sites, I can offer the following updates to this list:

- The Acrua TL and TL Type S both support Dolby Pro Logic II now

- The Infinity M35 and M45 offer a Bose 5.1 surround sound system with DVD-video/DVD-audio drive and 14 speakers, including personal surround speakers in the shoulders of each front seat. No mention of DTS or DPL II support.

- None of the lesser Infinity models seem to offer 5.1 surround. I would have seriously considered the G35X or G37 coupe if they did.

As I run across info on other models, I'll post more info here. Thanks!

Jon,

I'm just starting to look at new cars, and will only buy one with 5.1 surround capability. Based on info from manufacturer web sites, I can offer the following updates to this list:

- The Acrua TL and TL Type S both support Dolby Pro Logic II now

- The Infinity M35 and M45 offer a Bose 5.1 surround sound system with DVD-video/DVD-audio drive and 14 speakers, including personal surround speakers in the shoulders of each front seat. No mention of DTS or DPL II support.

- None of the lesser Infinity models seem to offer 5.1 surround. I would have seriously considered the G35X or G37 coupe if they did.

As I run across info on other models, I'll post more info here. Thanks!

Thanks for checking in. I haven't looked at cars in a while. I do know that the Infiniti "M" looks pretty sweet. It's a bit on the pricey side, but it seems to be well made. It's funny how Infiniti's seem to fly under the radar compared to Lexus. I wonder why?

Again, anyone who test drives or buys a car with a 5.1 in the dash audio system please report back here if your car is not on the list. I'd appreciate it, and so would others looking for new or off lease cars!

Thanks for checking in. I haven't looked at cars in a while. I do know that the Infiniti "M" looks pretty sweet. It's a bit on the pricey side, but it seems to be well made. It's funny how Infiniti's seem to fly under the radar compared to Lexus. I wonder why?

Again, anyone who test drives or buys a car with a 5.1 in the dash audio system please report back here if your car is not on the list. I'd appreciate it, and so would others looking for new or off lease cars!
I just sat in some new Infiniti's at the Portland auto show and they are unreal. Just beautiful. No one touted the audio in vehicles and many had no clue what they were selling! The new 2009 Murano is also sweet. Those machines that will not play video while driving can be altered very easily to ignore that feature. Sometimes it works just off the parking brake signal. The Player i put in the truck was real easy, i had an installer install it and told him to not hook up that switch!

Lexus IS350 (2006-present) Mark Levinson sound system - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital

I assume all Lexus vehicles have this option. I picked up my Lexus last fall and have not had time to play with it much as it is now parked for winter. I do know if you want to play Dolby Digital the car has to be parked with the parking brake on so the video screen can be active, then you can select your options like surround or stereo. Once that is done you can drive away with your option selected, it is setup like that so you can't watch movies while driving. I am a little disappointed so far with the results for DVD-Audio, it is not as discrete as I was expecting but perhaps when I have more time to play things will get sorted out.

It's too bad that after paying all that money for the Mark Levinson system that you don't get a discrete DVD-A system. I have heard it's not very discrete. I wonder why?

After I saw how much the Mark Levinson system cost, I got an Acura TL instead.

I have started looking at used Acura TLs 2004 & up for myself. Seems like I read somewhere in the last week or so that the 2008 TL still supports DVD-A...

The 2007 and 2008 Cadillac DTS models with the Navigation option have DVD-A players, as does the 2008 Escalade.

For some reason, Cadillac thinks of these sound systems as "Navigation" systems only. I have pointed out to a few salespeople that they may want to stress the DVD-Audio functionality, just like Acura does in their radio ads, but there is no interest or understanding.

Even the official Cadillac marketing literature only reveals the DVD-A function by way of the telltale DVD-Audio logo on photos of the front of the Navigation screen.

The system also plays DVD Video on the screen as long as the car is in Park.

The 2007 and 2008 Cadillac DTS models with the Navigation option have DVD-A players, as does the 2008 Escalade.

For some reason, Cadillac thinks of these sound systems as "Navigation" systems only. I have pointed out to a few salespeople that they may want to stress the DVD-Audio functionality, just like Acura does in their radio ads, but there is no interest or understanding.

Even the official Cadillac marketing literature only reveals the DVD-A function by way of the telltale DVD-Audio logo on photos of the front of the Navigation screen.

The system also plays DVD Video on the screen as long as the car is in Park.

THANKS! I added these to the list.

This is what the Mercedes C-Class is touting with it's navigation system. I take it that this should be added to the list. I didn't check but I'm sure this is available in all models.

"harman/kardon® LOGIC7® discrete multichannel surround sound system"

Enjoy a studio-quality 450-watt, 12-speaker harman/kardon® LOGIC7® digital surround-sound system. Twelve optimally placed speakers deliver an enthralling surround sound experience from MP3s, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, the 6-disc in-dash DVD changer, and even discs in DVD-audio and DTS formats. An integrated microphone monitors vehicle acoustics and adjusts frequency response to deliver an optimal sound experience.

The 2009 Acura TSX now has an optional technology package with the ELS surround sound system. Now, that the car is a bit bigger and prices start at $29,000, this could be one of the cheaper buys. Hopefully it doesn't cost $5,000 like the Lexus. Otherwise, you'd be better off getting a TL.

But, if it is cheaper to get the TSX with the ELS, I would have gotten this car if it was available back in 2006.

Just a note to say that the new Infiniti EX35 Crossover SUV has a Bose surround system but does not play DVD-Audio! :(

Only the M's do that.

Back