Official QQ COVID Vaccine Thread (No Politics)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This thread is not about Quardraphonics, it's about the soul of QuadraphonicQuad................. the membership.

One of the things I was always most proud of about this forum is that we have many active members from all over the world. The other thing that's awesome is that for the most part, we all get along with each other and treat each other with respect and civility.

I know there has been vaccination talk in the "What to do during the shut down" thread, but many folks have given up with that thread since it's been going on now for almost a year.

So, what I would like to know from everyone is (1) Have you gotten a vaccination shot yet? (2) Did you get your second? (3) How difficult was it to sign up for it? (4) Did you have any issues or side effects? (5) Are you unsure about getting it and have yet to decide whether to go for it or not?

A large portion of our membership are people who lived through the original quad era of the '70s, which puts those folks into the "older population" that is more susceptible to the virus, so it's important that we take the precautions to protect ourselves and if we so desire, get the vaccine.

Anyway, please no political views about this subject, just the facts about getting it and associated info.

I'll start:

Once CT allowed those from 65-74 to get it, I tried on line to sign up but everything was booked. I finally got a date at a Wal-Mart (of all places) and got the first shot a few weeks ago, it was the Moderna. I had no side effects but my arm was mildly sore the second day. My second shot is in a few weeks. I can honestly say that I feel better mentally knowing that I got the shot. I don't even know why, but maybe it's because after the second and after more people get it, I can once again go out for a Margarita and Nacho's without worrying about ending up dead! :)

I'd like to hear from all of you concerning your feelings and your vaccine stories.

Steve Schoultz

400 Club - QQ All-Star
My wife got her Pfizer shots a month ago since she works at the UT Dental School. She went to her GP yesterday and they had the J&J in stock. She was able to snag me an appointment for this Saturday. She had no ill effects from her vaccines, just a sore arm. I'm a little apprehensive since I got very sick from the Shingles vaccine. Felt like to flu for three days and that was for both shots. You know what? I will welcome whatever Saturday. I ain't getting any younger (63) and I want to get back to a normal way of living. Luckily I retired in December, so my exposure has been reduced. Except for my wife who goes to work every day. Stay safe guys and gals!

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
I luckily had BOTH Moderna Shots on schedule along with my co~workers as we're considered front liners working in the Funeral Industry. I recently saw an interview on MSNBC with Moderna's President who did say they're working on Booster Shots to combat the new strains of Covid emanating from the EU and Africa. It is with much sorrow that many Red states are reopening their economies 100% with NO mask mandates as herd immunity cannot be reached within the US if such RAMPANT SHODDINESS persists. BTW, I suffered NO side effects from the vaccines! NADA!

I still wear my mask, still socially distance and wash my hands frequently. Because I did receive the shots is not cause to let my guard down as wearing that mask [even a double mask] protects not only myself but ALL THOSE AROUND US.

Until we do reach herd immunity [by most accounts 90%] those states which fail to follow the mandates of the WHO and the CDC are going to jeoparadize the rest of the country .... and the world!

FOLLOW THE SCIENCE ...... NOT THE POLITICS! And for those who are wary of taking the vaccine which was developed within a year, the Chinese did share the genome sequence of Covid 19 with the world which facilitated the rapidity of developing these vaccines:

Genome
Genome
In the fields of molecular biology and genetics, a genome is all genetic material of an organism. It consists of DNA (or RNA in RNA viruses). The genome includes both the genes (the coding regions) and the noncoding DNA, as well as mitochondrial DNA and chloroplast DNA. The study of the genome is called genomics.

Last edited:

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I work in the Ag/food sector, so I was considered essential. Since this was driven by my job and essentially my employer who did all the legwork, it was super easy to sign up. I received a link in my email, made an account with my personal info, chose a specific time and date. I chose the Pfizer vaccine. I received dose 1 on Feb 8th, and the second dose on March 1.

Dose 1 - the shot itself gave zero burning, etc. I live in 1 of the smallest counties in Illinois, yet in my little home town we have a very nice hospital. That's where I got my shots.

Dose 2 - The day after I had a pretty sore arm. Almost felt bruised. Also on day after, I developed a headache (low grade, but that carried on for 2 days). I also noticed considerable fatigue from day after for 2 days. That's it. Oddly, my arm remained sore for over a week.

I too am super appreciative that I could get the shots and feel shitty that my wife can't yet. Not sure when they'll open it up to the next layer of people who are late 50's with no underlying conditions.....

Last edited:

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I was very fortunate and received my first shot (Pfizer) the first week it was available back in December. My wife is a nursing executive here in CT. The first week, they hadn’t yet discovered that there were more doses per vial than they had been led to believe. Rather than waste the extra doses, they provided “on demand” shots to family members that met the criteria who could get down to the hospital within an hours notice. I received my second shot in January. The process went very smoothly as my wife’s hospital had been prepared for weeks prior to the first dose being given. The vibe was very positive and uplifting - I know that this is not the same experience for many across the globe.

I had minor soreness in my arm after the first shot and developed swollen glands after the second - but they soon dissipated. Many of my friends (65 and over) have rec’d at least their first shot and while some have experienced some flu like symptoms lasting no longer than 24 hrs, all have seemed to fare well overall. GET THE VACCINE!

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I am considered essential... because it's me "The Pupster" ya'll!!! 😷

Got our 2nd Pfizer shot about a week ago, and one more week before some freedom for one of our fav things to do -Eat and drink OUT!!!

Got a tip from a friend that our county "Sacramento" was scheduling drive thru appointments online for those 65+, yuppers

So went to an outdoor High School drive thru, went smooth and only took 1/2 hour, got shot, then they make you wait 15 minutes to check for any side affects; none here in any major way.

My experience with the shots mirror pretty much exactly what @GOS mentioned above.

Will be getting the stimulus checks, and I plan on spreading it around our fav local restaurants to the workers as tips, to help get this country back on its feet.

Major thanks to all the Health care workers that have been in the trenches with this horrific thing for a year now - God bless you all 🙏

Last edited:

kcrimson

Here in Colorado, they opened up the category labelled 1B.3 last Friday (3/5), which includes people under 60 if they have an elevated risk of complications. I was in that line, so I was able to get my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine at UC Health in Denver today (March 10). For folks in the Denver area, if you sign up on their web site, you can then look to make an appointment vs waiting to be called, as long as you are in the allowed categories.

The whole process took less than 30 minutes and there have been no side effects so far. The second shot is already scheduled for 3 weeks from now, which they schedule while you wait for 15 minutes afterwards to make sure that there are no allergic reactions. A very easy process and one for which I grateful.

My wife is not yet in a selected category, though her group is planned to start Mar 18 or Mar 21, so she is about 2 weeks behind me, we hope.

It will be a good day for my family when we are both vaccinated, since our middle school and high school age kids have been doing remote learning since last March.

We have not been out to eat or taken any trips in that time, so they are chomping at the bit to be able to see their friends again and return to school normally. Can't blame them in the slightest for that.

Mostly we are grateful that no one in the family has gotten COVID 19 since this started, and there is light at the end of the tunnel coming.

Until then, we are going to continue to be safe in public, wear double masks, and look forward to the first plane trip and first night out in a long time.

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I'm an educator, but not a K-12 educator, and I've had no face-to-face classes all year, so I wasn't sure how soon I'd be eligible. Then out of the blue last week, I got an email about a clinic for faculty & staff, and 45 minutes after signing up for an appointment I got my first shot. (Pfizer. #2 in another week or two.) Little bit of a sore shoulder for a couple of days, but nothing worse.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is listening sessions with my two or three friends who actually care about surround. And trading Zoom happy hours for pints at the local taproom.

I feel incredibly lucky, not just for my safe job and my easy access to to the vaccine, but for the fact that I've lost no friends or family members to this plague. I wish I could say the same for my students, plenty of whom have lost loved ones, or have had to drop out because they got sick themselves, or because changed living/working situations no longer allow them to focus on their studies, or . . .

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
I received my 2nd Moderna shot this Monday March 8th, 4 weeks after my first.
My wife received her 2nd Pfzier shot 3 weeks after her first.
We are both just 65. I was a walk-in no appointment, in the Bayview SF. My wife made the first appointment she could get and traveled to Sacramento.
Yesterday, I felt tired, didn't exercise and went to bed around 8:00. today I woke up feeling great.
I am looking forward to family gatherings, visiting one daughter in Philly, small music clubs, big music concerts and 49er Football.

watsontr

500 Club - QQ All-Star
My wife and I have been taking part in the Novavax vaccine trial for about nine or so months. Had three shots (you don't know the strength vs placebo) and as I did have some flu type reactions, I think I got something though I do have a sneaking suspicion that she thinks the reactions are in my head only! We've had heaps of those not very pleasant COVID tests and blood tests. I think that we have just about completed the trial now. We're hoping that this helps people

djstephan

I got my first Astra Zeneca shot 3 days ago, in the am. By the evening I had a mild headache and felt sluggish. Come bedtime I was cold , hot, slightly feverish and had chills. After a somewhat uneasy night things got progressively better the next day. By the third day I was fine. Oh yes , there was plenty of soreness in the arm as well.
I live in Greece so things are done a little different. There's a centralized government medical database system(if you will) that I had signed up for since I take some heart medication regularly. I just call my doctor and within a few minutes my prescription is ready I get a text message which I take to the pharmacy.
And that's how I got my vaccination notice, via text. Another way to get the shot is through your pharmacist or any pharmacy.
My second shot is scheduled for May 27th . I can't wait not only for me but for all of us to get back to some kind of normalcy again.. It's been too long.

ngv99

My family and I appear to have sampled them all. ;) I received my first Pfizer shot yesterday. My shoulder is pretty sore but not awfully so. I did feel lightheaded for about a minute or so after the shot but that dissipated. My wife had her first Moderna shot last week and her experience was largely the same. My mother-in-law had the J&J shot Saturday - no serious issues to report, thankfully. She did feel very tired, though for the rest of the day.

We've been relatively comfortable doing things out and about but maintain our distance and use masks everywhere, and always avoid any unnecessary outings. I still plan to do the same until things finally return to "normal". I had 3 concerts from last year rescheduled to this year. One in April is already postponing again and I imagine the other two in June will be doing the same. Concerts are what I miss the most. Though I will say - part of what got me to finally get back into surround music was being at home with a lot more time to enjoy it!

Whatever you do, please be safe and make informed decisions. There's not far to go and we will all get through this!

elroy

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
In Southern CA, I'll be 65 this summer and a friend who has just turned 65 got her appointment at a local doctor's office, who had enough extra to expand the circle to people who were close to the offically eligible age of 65. So she put my name in and I just got my second Moderna shot today. Small office, short wait time. Arm was fairly sore the first shot for a day or two, no other effects. So far nothing much yet this evening from the second shot though I've talked to several in the medical profession who got the Moderna and said they were pretty wiped out the day after.

So, I'm going to take a sick day and listen to surround! And be grateful for getting the shots.

I also just signed up to volunteer to try to find appointments for seniors who may not be that good or able at getting an online appointment.

Good luck all regarding both the Covid and the vaccines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Titch

I'm a surgeon in Norway. I've had my two shots of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine. No side effects, apart from mild soreness in my left arm muscle, where the vaccine was injected. Some of my colleagues had a fever afterwards for a day. The Astra Zeneca vaccine, which also is used in our programme, has been associated with far more side effects. There's a lot of discussion of the severity of side effects correlating with the immune response. If you don't have side-effects, you might not have as good/longterm protection from the vaccine - but this is speculation. We will only know all the effects of vaccination on the COVID pandemic, after a couple of years.

Sansuiquadrob66

I am in my mid 50’s . Am considered an essential worker so I have continued my life as normal as can be, considering the shutdowns etc caused by Covid. I rarely wear a mask . Never at home or while driving etc . I only put it for the short period it takes to go shopping etc.
I did have what appeared to be all the symptoms of Covid in Jan 2020. I self recovered at home for two weeks and then returned to work.
Since then I have not been sick with any Covid symptoms.
I have not received a vaccine and don’t plan to rush out and get one personally as I have had a bad reaction to vaccine as a child.
I have relied on my immune system to combat viruses all my life and had good luck with it.
This is not meant to be a political statement just my personal experience .

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Things finally opened up here and both my wife and I have gotten Pfizer’s vaccine. She got her second shot late yesterday and I get my second next week. Couple of things:

- Arm pain from shot 1 wasn’t as severe as a flu shot, but a pinching feeling lasted several days in my case.
- Wife says that her arm is a bit sorer than the first shot and she has slight nausea this morning.

- A woman doc has an extensive video including steps to take to combat Moderna COVID Arm. She did it herself and was pleased with the results. It involves a combo of an H1 and H2 blocker. Apparently, it is the other “stuff” in the Moderna vaccine that causes the annoying arm rash at the injection point. I will post it if I can find it again.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This thread is not about Quardraphonics, it's about the soul of QuadraphonicQuad................. the membership.

One of the things I was always most proud of about this forum is that we have many active members from all over the world. The other thing that's awesome is that for the most part, we all get along with each other and treat each other with respect and civility.

I know there has been vaccination talk in the "What to do during the shut down" thread, but many folks have given up with that thread since it's been going on now for almost a year.

So, what I would like to know from everyone is (1) Have you gotten a vaccination shot yet? (2) Did you get your second? (3) How difficult was it to sign up for it? (4) Did you have any issues or side effects? (5) Are you unsure about getting it and have yet to decide whether to go for it or not?

A large portion of our membership are people who lived through the original quad era of the '70s, which puts those folks into the "older population" that is more susceptible to the virus, so it's important that we take the precautions to protect ourselves and if we so desire, get the vaccine.

Anyway, please no political views about this subject, just the facts about getting it and associated info.

I'll start:

Once CT allowed those from 65-74 to get it, I tried on line to sign up but everything was booked. I finally got a date at a Wal-Mart (of all places) and got the first shot a few weeks ago, it was the Moderna. I had no side effects but my arm was mildly sore the second day. My second shot is in a few weeks. I can honestly say that I feel better mentally knowing that I got the shot. I don't even know why, but maybe it's because after the second and after more people get it, I can once again go out for a Margarita and Nacho's without worrying about ending up dead! :)

I'd like to hear from all of you concerning your feelings and your vaccine stories.
So my wife and I will not be getting the vaccine. In the past, she has had reactions to certain medicines, especially generics so she is really wary about taking vaccines and medicines unless absolutely necessary. I just don’t feel the need. I am healthy and there is a 99.7% survival rate so I will let the chips fall where they may. Plus, when you see some of the video of the reactions some people had, I would rather take my chances with the “flu”.

Except for when our state decided to lock down, we have gone about our business as usual. eating in restaurants, shopping in stores etc. All while wearing a mask (ugh) and social distancing. In Vegas, when you go from having everything to doing nothing - that’s the rough part. Things are coming back. So I will be doing everything without the vaccine.

4_everyman

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I'm about as UNessential as anyone could be. I'm 63 and I've been retired for five years.

* Contracted COVID-19 in December. That ran from 06 December - 05 January. Worst four weeks of my life. I had all the symptoms except for the respiratory ones (thankfully). It wasn't until mid-February that my senses of smell and taste had returned to something approaching normal. I live alone in a community I moved to back in August of last year. My nearest relative (my daughter) lives 1400 miles so I was on my own fighting this.

* Heard a story on National Public Radio talking about a website their staff set up for finding out how to register for the vaccine, on a state-by-state basis. Went to my state's site last Wednesday (03 March) night to register. The next morning I got an email informing me of my appointment at a local Walgreen's drug store.

* Went to Walgreen's Friday (05 March) morning and got shot #1 of the Moderna flavor. Woke up the next morning feeling like hell. Fever, body aches, chills, fatigue. Felt like a condensed version of the virus I fought off in December. Fortunately, that reaction has dissipated by 9:00 PM that night.

* Received an email the day after I got my 1st shot with an appointment for shot #2 scheduled of 01 April. I wasn't expecting a reaction - much less one that hit me so hard! I'll be ready to deal with a reaction after I get my second Moderna shot.

I'm thankful to have good health insurance. If I'd had to pay for that vaccine, it would've set me back a blistering $2.59! :oops:

I offered to pay cash for it, but the pharmacy tech they are legally prohibited for taking money for the vaccine. Evidently, if you have insurance, they bill the insurance company. If you don't have insurance, they bill the government.