• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Official QQ "What's your Go-To Surround Demo Quality DVD-AUDIO"?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

inkubuzz

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I like to use the following songs:

Beatles - Eleonor Rigby
Queen - The Prophets Song
Porcupine Tree - Anesthesize
NIN - Only
Genesis - Domino or The Brazilian

Cygnus_X1

The demo DVD that came with my 2013 Acura TL is pretty much filled with songs to show off. My favorite is Touch Me by The Doors.....it sounds like Jim Morrison is right in front of you. I can also play the last track where the song Winelight by Grover Washington Jr is separated into individual channels and then put back together. That really shows off the 5.1 effect and the sound quality of the ELS stereo.

DennisMoore Jr.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Keep your favorite show piece as #1.

Can't do just one since visiting guests will come with different musical tastes, but....

1. I'll tend to pop in ELP - Still You Turn Me On (2000 DVD-A) to BLOW people away with sheer loudness but with crystal quality. I have Definitive Technology towers with 500 watts of bass so the house literally shakes on that one...

2. Gentle Giant - The Power & The Glory(just replaced all others on this list...) Screw 'em if they don't like the music. The production, clarity & mix are the closest thing to Heaven I've encountered.

3. EJ - Capt. Fantastic DVD-A. Awe inspiring.

4. ELP - The Only Way(from Tarkus) Steven Wilson DVD-A. If you think you have a powerful system, try this one as loud as it goes. (y)

5. YES - America (Fragile 2000 DVD-A) I love this mix plus the extra keyboard tracks. This is a guitarist's dream song.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
NOTE: I moved the above post over from the SACD thread, since it did not belong there, but is certainly at home here in this thread!

HDave

500 Club - QQ All-Star
NOTE: I moved the above post over from the SACD thread, since it did not belong there, but is certainly at home here in this thread!
Eagles- Hotel California
Elton J- All the girls love Alice
JTull - Locomotive Breath
Doors- Hello I love you
ELP - Karn evil 9 3rd impression
Purple - Space Trucking
STP- Crackerman
Beatles - Love
Crimson - Red nightmare
Skynrd - Gimmie back my bullets

Last edited:

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Can't do just one since visiting guests will come with different musical tastes, but....

1. I'll tend to pop in ELP - Still You Turn Me On (2000 DVD-A) to BLOW people away with sheer loudness but with crystal quality. I have Definitive Technology towers with 500 watts of bass so the house literally shakes on that one...

2. Gentle Giant - The Power & The Glory(just replaced all others on this list...) Screw 'em if they don't like the music. The production, clarity & mix are the closest thing to Heaven I've encountered.

3. EJ - Capt. Fantastic DVD-A. Awe inspiring.

4. ELP - The Only Way(from Tarkus) Steven Wilson DVD-A. If you think you have a powerful system, try this one as loud as it goes. (y)

5. YES - America (Fragile 2000 DVD-A) I love this mix plus the extra keyboard tracks. This is a guitarist's dream song.
There's a Captain Fantastic DVD-A...?!?!? :mad:@:

audioguy

Next I play Lazy from the SACD of Machine Head (which is sourced from the quad master).
Sorry for quoting an old post, but this is the only time I've seen someone mention my favorite "go-to" demo disc. I have the DVD-A - not sure how it compares to the SACD. The track "Lazy" just blows everyone away. Starts subtle and flies around the room. The crisp highs and deep bass take over afterwards. This one needs to be cranked up. I play this for everyone, no matter their musical taste.

IMachine

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hm....I never wrote something here, although it is so easy for me:

Steely Dan - Gaucho (still my Nr. 1 surround disc)

And it's been a long time I mentioned: GIVE ME THAT ROYAL SCAM! :)

jamoke

QQ Supporter
Original quad mix:

Allman Brothers Band - Live at The Fillmore - Statesboro Blues / Stormy Monday

Jeddia

My neighbors came over one day to hear my system. I hit them with the likes of:

Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again (stunning mix, great source material)
Eagles - Hotel California
Lynyrd Synyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Leow
Linkin Park - Reanimation various tracks
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (the back half of this track just thumps and the mix is very aggressive)
Foreigner - Headknocker (this track just sounds great in surround, I don't even want to hear it in stereo anymore...)

And I know this is supposed to be DVD-A's, but if I'm trying to impress someone with surround music, I have to also play for them:

Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused to Sing" from the BD (which is just astonishing...I mean, it's not even fair...)
Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets" from the BD
Peter Gabriel's "Darkness" from the Up SACD
The Police "Walking on the Moon" from the SACD of hits
Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" sounds amazing as well (from SACD)

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Yeah - A lot of good ones. Steely Dan Gaucho is stupid good.
Yup..anything Steely Dan is "stupid GREAT"..

My number one... "Gaucho" DVD-A (the SACD also works quite well)

I have a lot of number twos...but one that springs to mind is Elton's "Honky Cat"...first you get the crystal clear group in front, but when those horns kick in the rears ..wowza!!!!...and I'm not a big fan of SACDs, mind you!!!!!

and, even though it isn't an "official" release (But Sound on Sound lists it as one...??!!??)
PF, DSOTM -DVD-A

HiVision99

I don't have very many but Hotel California on DVD-A is hard to beat. Great use of ALL channels. Creative mix as well. I.e: "Life in the Fastlane's" use of the electric guitars in the back channels is a good example, or the title track opening with the acoustic guitar in the center channel... My 2cents. -Sam

HiVision99

My neighbors came over one day to hear my system. I hit them with the likes of:

Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again (stunning mix, great source material)
Eagles - Hotel California
Lynyrd Synyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Leow
Linkin Park - Reanimation various tracks
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (the back half of this track just thumps and the mix is very aggressive)
Foreigner - Headknocker (this track just sounds great in surround, I don't even want to hear it in stereo anymore...)

And I know this is supposed to be DVD-A's, but if I'm trying to impress someone with surround music, I have to also play for them:

Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused to Sing" from the BD (which is just astonishing...I mean, it's not even fair...)
Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets" from the BD
Peter Gabriel's "Darkness" from the Up SACD
The Police "Walking on the Moon" from the SACD of hits
Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" sounds amazing as well (from SACD)
I'm glad you mention that about the Foreigner disc. That's my next purchase on DVD-A. I've heard nothing but good things about its 5.1 remastering. Are the rest of the tracks equally good..? ("Feels like the first time", etc) -Sam

PS: I own the SACD of "Rumours". I would think the DVD-Audio and SACD are pretty much comparable. That said, it's extremely well produced.

hipp

I don't have very many but Hotel California on DVD-A is hard to beat. Great use of ALL channels. Creative mix as well. I.e: "Life in the Fastlane's" use of the electric guitars in the back channels is a good example, or the title track opening with the acoustic guitar in the center channel... My 2cents. -Sam
I think it is a good DVD-A but I wondered if you didn't find the bass a bit heavy, most specifically on Hotel California? All your other comments I agree with!

Howard