Official QQ "What's your Go-To Surround Demo Quality DVD-AUDIO"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to use the following songs:

Beatles - Eleonor Rigby
Queen - The Prophets Song
Porcupine Tree - Anesthesize
NIN - Only
Genesis - Domino or The Brazilian

The demo DVD that came with my 2013 Acura TL is pretty much filled with songs to show off. My favorite is Touch Me by The Doors.....it sounds like Jim Morrison is right in front of you. I can also play the last track where the song Winelight by Grover Washington Jr is separated into individual channels and then put back together. That really shows off the 5.1 effect and the sound quality of the ELS stereo.

Keep your favorite show piece as #1.

Can't do just one since visiting guests will come with different musical tastes, but....

1. I'll tend to pop in ELP - Still You Turn Me On (2000 DVD-A) to BLOW people away with sheer loudness but with crystal quality. I have Definitive Technology towers with 500 watts of bass so the house literally shakes on that one...

2. Gentle Giant - The Power & The Glory(just replaced all others on this list...) Screw 'em if they don't like the music. The production, clarity & mix are the closest thing to Heaven I've encountered.

3. EJ - Capt. Fantastic DVD-A. Awe inspiring.

4. ELP - The Only Way(from Tarkus) Steven Wilson DVD-A. If you think you have a powerful system, try this one as loud as it goes. (y)

5. YES - America (Fragile 2000 DVD-A) I love this mix plus the extra keyboard tracks. This is a guitarist's dream song.

NOTE: I moved the above post over from the SACD thread, since it did not belong there, but is certainly at home here in this thread!

NOTE: I moved the above post over from the SACD thread, since it did not belong there, but is certainly at home here in this thread!

Eagles- Hotel California
Elton J- All the girls love Alice
JTull - Locomotive Breath
Doors- Hello I love you
ELP - Karn evil 9 3rd impression
Purple - Space Trucking
STP- Crackerman
Beatles - Love
Crimson - Red nightmare
Skynrd - Gimmie back my bullets

Last edited:
Can't do just one since visiting guests will come with different musical tastes, but....

1. I'll tend to pop in ELP - Still You Turn Me On (2000 DVD-A) to BLOW people away with sheer loudness but with crystal quality. I have Definitive Technology towers with 500 watts of bass so the house literally shakes on that one...

2. Gentle Giant - The Power & The Glory(just replaced all others on this list...) Screw 'em if they don't like the music. The production, clarity & mix are the closest thing to Heaven I've encountered.

3. EJ - Capt. Fantastic DVD-A. Awe inspiring.

4. ELP - The Only Way(from Tarkus) Steven Wilson DVD-A. If you think you have a powerful system, try this one as loud as it goes. (y)

5. YES - America (Fragile 2000 DVD-A) I love this mix plus the extra keyboard tracks. This is a guitarist's dream song.

There's a Captain Fantastic DVD-A...?!?!? :mad:@:

Next I play Lazy from the SACD of Machine Head (which is sourced from the quad master).

Sorry for quoting an old post, but this is the only time I've seen someone mention my favorite "go-to" demo disc. I have the DVD-A - not sure how it compares to the SACD. The track "Lazy" just blows everyone away. Starts subtle and flies around the room. The crisp highs and deep bass take over afterwards. This one needs to be cranked up. I play this for everyone, no matter their musical taste.

Hm....I never wrote something here, although it is so easy for me:

Steely Dan - Gaucho (still my Nr. 1 surround disc)

And it's been a long time I mentioned: GIVE ME THAT ROYAL SCAM! :)

My neighbors came over one day to hear my system. I hit them with the likes of:

Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again (stunning mix, great source material)
Eagles - Hotel California
Lynyrd Synyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Leow
Linkin Park - Reanimation various tracks
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (the back half of this track just thumps and the mix is very aggressive)
Foreigner - Headknocker (this track just sounds great in surround, I don't even want to hear it in stereo anymore...)

And I know this is supposed to be DVD-A's, but if I'm trying to impress someone with surround music, I have to also play for them:

Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused to Sing" from the BD (which is just astonishing...I mean, it's not even fair...)
Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets" from the BD
Peter Gabriel's "Darkness" from the Up SACD
The Police "Walking on the Moon" from the SACD of hits
Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" sounds amazing as well (from SACD)

Yeah - A lot of good ones. Steely Dan Gaucho is stupid good.

Yup..anything Steely Dan is "stupid GREAT"..

My number one... "Gaucho" DVD-A (the SACD also works quite well)

I have a lot of number twos...but one that springs to mind is Elton's "Honky Cat"...first you get the crystal clear group in front, but when those horns kick in the rears ..wowza!!!!...and I'm not a big fan of SACDs, mind you!!!!!

and, even though it isn't an "official" release (But Sound on Sound lists it as one...??!!??)
PF, DSOTM -DVD-A

I don't have very many but Hotel California on DVD-A is hard to beat. Great use of ALL channels. Creative mix as well. I.e: "Life in the Fastlane's" use of the electric guitars in the back channels is a good example, or the title track opening with the acoustic guitar in the center channel... My 2cents. -Sam

My neighbors came over one day to hear my system. I hit them with the likes of:

Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again (stunning mix, great source material)
Eagles - Hotel California
Lynyrd Synyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Leow
Linkin Park - Reanimation various tracks
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (the back half of this track just thumps and the mix is very aggressive)
Foreigner - Headknocker (this track just sounds great in surround, I don't even want to hear it in stereo anymore...)

And I know this is supposed to be DVD-A's, but if I'm trying to impress someone with surround music, I have to also play for them:

Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused to Sing" from the BD (which is just astonishing...I mean, it's not even fair...)
Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets" from the BD
Peter Gabriel's "Darkness" from the Up SACD
The Police "Walking on the Moon" from the SACD of hits
Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" sounds amazing as well (from SACD)

I'm glad you mention that about the Foreigner disc. That's my next purchase on DVD-A. I've heard nothing but good things about its 5.1 remastering. Are the rest of the tracks equally good..? ("Feels like the first time", etc) -Sam

PS: I own the SACD of "Rumours". I would think the DVD-Audio and SACD are pretty much comparable. That said, it's extremely well produced.

I don't have very many but Hotel California on DVD-A is hard to beat. Great use of ALL channels. Creative mix as well. I.e: "Life in the Fastlane's" use of the electric guitars in the back channels is a good example, or the title track opening with the acoustic guitar in the center channel... My 2cents. -Sam

I think it is a good DVD-A but I wondered if you didn't find the bass a bit heavy, most specifically on Hotel California? All your other comments I agree with!

Howard

Fleetwood Mac - Gold Dust Woman - that slide guitar is unreal clarity in the 5.1 mix as well as in 2.0. But in 5.1 there is spooky clarity
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Still You Turn Me On - rich and thick sound beautifully engineered, I've demo'd it for friends. As mentioned, it sounds great loud!
Yes - Roundabout - I've previously mentioned this track. Such a good song and the 5.1 mix takes you to another world.

I just love the DVD-A format. Ya know what's fun about collecting the format,. it's that there are only so many DVD-A discs, it does not feel impossible to get all of the good ones. It seems like I have 90% of the really good rock and pop titles already. They did pick some real winners to do in the format.

Back