Quantcast

Official QQ "What's your Go-To Surround Demo Quality SACD"?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
What SACD do you use when you want to dazzle your friends and family? I'll sticky this thread and it can be used as a reference for other members going forward. If you see a title already listed that you use, go ahead and mention it again. This will build up it's reputation.

NOTE: You can list more than one title, but put them in an order of preference. Keep your favorite show piece as #1.

Remember, the main point of the demo here is SURROUND! :banana:

Perpendicular

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
(1) Roxy Music - "Avalon"
(2) Alison Krauss & Union Station - "New Favorite"
(3) Elton John - "Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy" (Although, any of the EJ releases I have would do)
(4) Genesis - "We Can't Dance"

dr. simple

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I often start with the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet's "Guitar Heroes." I go straight to "Blue Echo".

Frantic

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Hands down, I always start with this one:

Spyro Gyra, The Deep End - "Monsoon"

Wow, it has it all.:smokin

sf49erjohn

1 Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
2 Alison Krauss - New Favorite
3 Steely Dan - Gaucho
4 Roy Orbison - Black & White Night
5 Deep Purple - Machine Head

grill

800 Club - QQ All-Star
1. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
2. Jazz At The Pawnshop 30th Anniversary
3. Vivaldi - Le Quattro Stagioni (fonƩ 005 SACD)

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
1. Avalon - Roxy Music
2. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
3. Sea Change - Beck ( I don't have it on DVD-A)!

callmez

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I often start with the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet's "Guitar Heroes." I go straight to "Blue Echo".
My thoughts exactly. I suppose that a fair percentage of my visitors of late prefer laid-back music like this to something that rocks or is just plain weird (though the Flaming Lips would be on the short list too) -- but you can't miss with this album and "Blue Echo" in particular. Everybody loves it. Besides, Chet Atkins is God in these here parts.

Mark Z

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
My thoughts exactly. I suppose that a fair percentage of my visitors of late prefer laid-back music like this to something that rocks or is just plain weird (though the Flaming Lips would be on the short list too) -- but you can't miss with this album and "Blue Echo" in particular. Everybody loves it. Besides, Chet Atkins is God in these here parts.

Mark Z
Agreed. That's a great Surround Sound SACD track.

While we're talking about the LA Guitar Quartet - be sure to pick up their 1st Surround Sound SACD "LAGQ:Latin". Some amazing Surround Sound mixing and music there. A must have for Surround fans.

JohnN

500 Club - QQ All-Star
The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For the Devil (5.1 remix) (most of my friends are Rolling Stones' fans)
Elton John - Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy
Madman Across the Water
Honky ChĆ¢teau
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of the Moon

byrdman7

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Depends on the person, but for first-timers,

Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms
Moya Brennan-Two Horizons
Roxy Music-Avalon
Steely Dan-Gaucho

Harold

To blow people away, I think it is effective to pick songs that are 1) familiar and liked by your audience, 2) make full use of the rear channels and LFE, and 3) use songs that have good dynamics.

1) Dark Side Of The Moon (side one) particularly impressive is 'On The Run'
2) Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith I first heard this on the Rolling Stone Magazine SACD surround disc that was given away inside the magazine. It is perhaps the best sampler disc of popularsurround music. On Sweet Emotion the percussion and backup vocals come alive.
3) Shine - Dolly Parton's bluegrass cover of the Collective Soul song.
4) The South Side Of The Sky - Yes Roundabout and Heart Of The Sunrise are more familiar, but if you are demonstrating for a true prog fan, this song has more dynamics and more adventurous use of the rears.
5) Fight Test - Flaming Lips
6) How To Be Dead - Snow Patrol
7) So What - Miles Davis
8) Its Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding - Bob Dylan One man and his acoustic guitar...in surround!
9) in absentia (just about any song, depending on your audience) - Porcupine Tree
10) Red - King Crimson

Time Lord

Not very original but these get the biggest smiles from first time listeners
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Avalon - Roxy Music
Gaucho - Steely Dan

For seasoned listeners
Daft - Art of Noise
Rage Hard - Frankie Goes to Hollywood, particularly Welcome to the Pleasuredome

simonwagstaff

I just gotta say...

I know it is not that well known but Phil Lesh's "there and back again' to me is the quintessential rock and roll album conceived and recorded with surround in
mind. I know it is not that popular but it has some great songs on it, might as well be 1/2 a Warren Haynes solo album but the sound and mix on it are fantastic and demonstration quality.

Fugue

E. Power Biggs Plays Bach Toccatas. It was recorded in a cathedral that has four separate organs! That combine with 32' foot pipes makes for quite a sumptuous musical feast!