OGRE - "Plague Of The Planet", new 5.1 QuadroSurround DVD-A Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to publically thank Dietrich here for all of the work that he put into the "Plague of the Planet" quad DVD-A. I probably wasn't always the easiest person to work with, as I had very particular ideas about how this release should look and sound, but Dietrich was very professional and easy to work with from start to finish. He definitely went above and beyond in terms of including additional booklets with lyrics/pictures and also with the slideshow of images. He typically doesn't include such extras, as the most important feature for him (as it should be) is the music, so I appreciate his efforts here.

Music-wise, I gotta admit that it's a wild experience hearing your own music translated into quad. Without a doubt, this is the album that I'm most proud of in my entire music career, and though I thought I knew every little detail, it was quite an experience hearing new elements pop up in the mix. The quad mix certainly is very different from the stereo mix (which was Dietrich's intention), and though there were some parts that took some getting used to, I still love listening to it, especially all the real discrete moments, such as the keyboards in "Battle at Doom Capital" and the motorcycle zooming around the speakers at the beginning of "Drive". I'm a sucker for those sorts of effects in quad mixing. Also, by isolating the bass in the rears, he certainly emphasized an element that, admittedly, is a bit too understated in the stereo mix. Personally, I think the guitars could have been a bit louder at times (perhaps that's why Jon said it seemed to "need more power"), but I'm willing to sacrifice that for some of the other elements that are made more prominent in the quad mix.

I think it's important for people to understand that Dietrich is running the Quadro-Surround label for one reason only: to share his love for quadraphonic music with like-minded music fans. He certainly isn't doing it to make tons of money, though it would be nice if enough people bought each of his releases so that he could at least break even. He treats his bands extremely well and is dedicated to putting out a quality product on what I'm sure is a limited budget. I know his roster of artists is very eclectic and that most of the bands/singers are pretty obscure (even my own!). That said, anyone who loves quad music will be sure to enjoy some, if not all, of the Quadro-Surround releases, and I really hope that more and more people take a chance and buy his releases.

Thanks again, Dietrich!

Hello Ross,

Thank you for your pleasing well review about the quadraphonic surround mix of you music - from the sight of the band. Till now the OGRE in Surround is our best selling production.

For general:

We mix the surround sound by a visible control technic. So we can not only listen, but also see, if the front and back singnals have in average the same limit and power. But many surround sets works difficult. If one has another impression, so he may or should adjust self the balance , till he has the impression, that the balance of front back is ok - or as he likes it especially. That is possible general by surround productions.

Dietrich

This is a great release. Recommended to everyone. I was unsure upon first listen but the sound quality is fantastic and the last couple of tracks who they can really play! I would definitely purchase future titles by them.

We at "Quadro-Surround" are working actual for a further Rock-Production in quadraphonic surround, which we ca represent here in around a month. But we would be also interested to make a further quadraphonic mix with OGRE, because this music has a lot of potential for a surround reproduction. I may ask the leader of the band, if there are possibilities for a further project.

Dietrich

Sadly I had a snafu with my "Plague Of The Planet" disc as my OPPO ate it and it is now unplayable (ie: scarred like the plague) :( I will have to get back with Dietrich and order me a new disc soon , I really miss this one. I guess I really should feed my OPPO more often :mad:@:.

@ Dietrich: look forward to future "Quadro-Surround" Rock-Productions and more great OGRE in surround!

We at "Quadro-Surround" are working actual for a further Rock-Production in quadraphonic surround, which we ca represent here in around a month. But we would be also interested to make a further quadraphonic mix with OGRE, because this music has a lot of potential for a surround reproduction. I may ask the leader of the band, if there are possibilities for a further project.

Dietrich
Which bands similar to Ogre from your site, should I check out?

Hello Pink, that was a quick post send by air. As I have announced, we prepare a contract with OGRE, so that in 2 or 3 monthes the "Last Neanderthal" could also heard in quadro-surround.

Dietrich

Hello Pink, that was a quick post send by air. As I have announced, we prepare a contract with OGRE, so that in 2 or 3 monthes the "Last Neanderthal" could also heard in quadro-surround.

Dietrich

Great!

I can't believe that I've never tripped across this thread until today - it blows my mind to discover that another local from my city is also a member here, and one that I've seen many of his shows (since the days of Geno's on Brown Street) and
bought nearly every release of! Hello Ross!

I was at your Geno's show a few months back and was about the buy the new album when I saw the Quadro-Surround emblem on this release of Plaque of the Planet, and that quickly settled which album I was buying. Still need to get the new
album though, but haven't seen the band live since. Good to hear from Dietrich that the new album is also under discussion for a multi-channel release, I'll again buy both versions. Depending how successful this all works out for both parties,t
he band should also consider re-mixing Seven Hells for multi-channel. The opening on Solder of Misfourtune has a great stereo image and effect, and Flesh Feast would offer some great surround effects.

Nice to know there's another multi-channel fan in Portland.

I can't believe that I've never tripped across this thread until today - it blows my mind to discover that another local from my city is also a member here, and one that I've seen many of his shows (since the days of Geno's on Brown Street) and
bought nearly every release of! Hello Ross!

Nice to know there's another multi-channel fan in Portland.

Hey man!! Strange coincidence, huh? I thought I was the only surround sound enthusiast in the area, but to also find out that you've been to a bunch of OGRE shows, going back to the good ole days of Geno's on Brown Street (man, do I miss that place!), is even crazier. We don't have any Portland shows set up at the moment, but if and when that happens, you definitely should introduce yourself. It would be good to talk quad/surround with someone else who knows what the hell I'm babbling about!

For now, though, I'm just psyched that I'll be working with Dietrich again on "The Last Neanderthal". There will be lots of good opportunities for cool quad effects on this new album. "Seven Hells" would be fun, too, but unfortunately, we're having some master tape issues with that one...Maybe some day!

Hey man!! Strange coincidence, huh? I thought I was the only surround sound enthusiast in the area, but to also find out that you've been to a bunch of OGRE shows, going back to the good ole days of Geno's on Brown Street (man, do I miss that place!), is even crazier. We don't have any Portland shows set up at the moment, but if and when that happens, you definitely should introduce yourself. It would be good to talk quad/surround with someone else who knows what the hell I'm babbling about!

For now, though, I'm just psyched that I'll be working with Dietrich again on "The Last Neanderthal". There will be lots of good opportunities for cool quad effects on this new album. "Seven Hells" would be fun, too, but unfortunately, we're having some master tape issues with that one...Maybe some day!
Great stuff, I look forward to it!

Back