OGRE - "Plague Of The Planet", new 5.1 QuadroSurround DVD-A Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so, if its so cheap (or rather financially viable) to do such limited runs of dvd's now.. then the only major stumbling block to more surround must be the costs of new 5.1 mix creation..

.. in which case, if a company were to pay for licensing existing quad mixes and keep the finished DVD product as bare bones as possible, isn't that a solution?

..wouldn't it be viable to do a small enough run just for our QQ hardcore (I'm convinced a few hundred or so of us visit here pretty much all the time, everyday - that's hardcore in my book) and if they were say 20 quid a pop would the guaranteed 500 sales to QQ hardcore @£20 (or £10k gross income) be sufficient to cover costs of licensing an existing quad mix, mastering, transferring to digital, authoring, replication etc.?? or would it still cost much more to do that?

what I'm getting at is the question of feasibility of a small label (or initiative) self-funded by our devoted members and how much money we'd need to raise (by way of a pledge or donation?) to get new DVD-A's of old quad mixes legitimately out there..??

I'd been thinking much along the same lines! There must be loads of Quad mixes of albums sitting on shelves which I wished I had bought when I was a skint student.

Thanks for your lovely response - if you guys end up playing London at any point please let us know!

That flub is amazing isn't it? I love hearing more in the quad than you normally do (isn't there a quad mix out there with a pronounced belch in the rears somewhere? Doobies?) and given your excellent taste and quad hunting skills you must have found Deep Purple's Machinehead and Stormbringer in similar form. Cracking stuff all round. I ordered my copy of your disc today and I look forward to turning this one right up on Friday night :smokin

Yeah, I have both of the Deep Purple quad mixes. I love "Machine Head" (of course!) and, even though I'm not a big fan of "Stormbringer" as an album, I'm much more likely to listen to it in its quad form.

In addition to hearing flubs and other "goodies" like you mentioned, I also love quad mixes that are radically different from their stereo counterparts. I'm thinking of things like BOC's "Tyranny and Mutation", with the additional background vocals in "The Red and the Black", and Aerosmith's "Rocks", with those crazy swirling sound effects in "Back in the Saddle". One of the things that I most love about quad music is the way that it brings back to life all of these albums that I have played to death in stereo.

Anyway, I hope you dig the OGRE quad! And we would love to come over to London sometime. We have recently made a connection in Ireland, so maybe some day in the future, we'll be able to do a UK tour....We can dream about it at least!

Hello to all with interess for the quadraphonic version of OGRE.
I think, that the buyers will have also those satisfied impressions as - for example - Rober (van Diggele). We have send the dicsc at last Thoursday. So the first could be in the USA or Canada till coming wekend or a few days later the next week. I think 7-10 days. We make the DCD-Audios in 24 Bit and 48 kHz. We could make also 92 kHz, but our sound engineer means, 48 kHz would be better for a safe playing with most players. Especially the most expensive players like to be very sensitive. Our DVD-Audios contains two sorts of surround technic. On DVD-Audio and multi-norm players one can listen the DVD-Audio track. Usual DVD-players will have the Dolby Digital as output, which sounds very well. We have made also by the OGRE surround a real quadraphonic and creative -mix with also a few swirling sounds. For th Bonus we have made an different mix, bcause a Bonus should have an special interesting or different sound. I have hope, that OGRE, Ross and the band members, and also Jon will receive the discs in a short time, so that we can have again Jons well presentation and an impression from OGRE with their opinion about the quadraphonic mix. And of course also other opinions from listening fans. On our discs there are some sounds to listen, which are missing by the Stereo CD.

The duplication is actual made in the"burning" version from a firme, who works very quixk in best quality. For pressed discs we must take 700 items at minimum. That is a number, from there we are actual far away. But in quality there is no different between both. So the interested fan should not be afraid, that our discs are burned in private electric cooker.
So far my comment for now.

Dietrich

I've just ordered this. It sounded really good on Youtube....

As John has mentioned - The Parsons Thibauld disc is really good also... I can't believe that I'm the only person who has voted on it in the Hi-rez poll...:yikes

Oh yeah - I know I'm being "Nit Picky" - but I assume that this is a Quadraphonic DVD-Audio release (4.0) not a 5.1 release?

Yes, this is a quad mix (4.0). Thanks for the interest!

I'm very pleased to say this disc arrived just in time for the weekend and I'm on my third listen through. I love the artwork onscreen for each track - it really complements the concept in a very groovy Jack Kirby-meets-Steve Ditko kind of way and the photocopied booklet only adds to the charm for me. The service from Dietrich in ordering was flawless, two days from Germany to my flat in London. The deep and rich sonics are 4.0 24/48 with the lead guitars sounding creamily overdriven - the content itself begs to be turned up and it can really stand it too. It's classic rock in every sense of the word and when the massive moog-style synths start panning around as they drop guitar monster riffs up front with a gnarly strutting bass line in the rears you can't help but grin. The vocals are well recorded and sit nice and tight in the mix with roomy reverb adding gravitas and pomp. By the time you get to 'Dawn Of The Proto-Man' you're craving more. Luckily they've included an additional quad track, which as pointed out earlier does seem to have a heavier snap to the drums but I dig both. QQers who have even the slightest fondness for the golden age of heavy rock should order immediately. We spend a lot of our time lamenting the lack of surround content but somehow, between Portland and Hamburg, Ogre and Dietrich have produced something you can buy right now. The buzz-thrill of a newly purchased quad album and a kick-ass one at that.

If your intention was to release a classic rock album with a classic surround mix then I, who certainly rocked out to it, salute you.

photo.jpg

Thanks, inquad, for the great review (and for the photo)! You definitely "get" what we were going for with this album. Now, if only my copy would arrive. The anticipation is killing me!!

I love the album from the youtube link and I will eventually order the DVDA, but since the band is American, perhaps one of them should have written the marketing materials rather than Dietrich. No slight to Dietrich intended, and thank you for putting this out in surround, just a friendly suggestion.

I've been listening to all three Ogre albums all day at work today through youtube. I think they are my new favorite band! I can't believe I haven't heard of them before. I can't wait to get this DVDA! I hope they do the other 2 albums as well. Great stuff!

Now I am curious, which comment Jon Urban will write after listening. About the asking, which surround-installation will work for the 4 channel quadraphonic surround sound I like to tell this: Of course, each really quadraphonic equipment works ideal. But those, who own a 5.1 equipment, must not change something. The not needed channels about the 4 will not sound and the center channel one can listen as phantom center - similar to Stereo in front. Now I am looking forward for more comments from those, who has received the OGRE quadraphonic disc the next few days. Or if any have further askings.

Dietrich

Now I am curious, which comment Jon Urban will write after listening. About the asking, which surround-installation will work for the 4 channel quadraphonic surround sound I like to tell this: Of course, each really quadraphonic equipment works ideal. But those, who own a 5.1 equipment, must not change something. The not needed channels about the 4 will not sound and the center channel one can listen as phantom center - similar to Stereo in front. Now I am looking forward for more comments from those, who has received the OGRE quadraphonic disc the next few days. Or if any have further askings.

Dietrich

Dietrich is correct - I'm using a conventional full range 5.0 system and the centre is silent leaving perfect imaging for any phantom centre action. Everything sounds rich and discrete with a really full and warm bass.

Thanks, inquad, for the great review (and for the photo)! You definitely "get" what we were going for with this album. Now, if only my copy would arrive. The anticipation is killing me!!

You're very welcome, thanks again!

I have to ask - any chance of you and Dietrich re-visiting the multis for your other albums? :smokin

After taking another listen to the album on YouTube, I took the plunge yesterday as well. Got shipping confirmation this morning. Looking forward to hearing this one in surround.

I did a first listen in the car today. It's excellent.

The vocals are terrific. The lead singer sounds a lot like prime Alice Cooper at times, and can hit all the highs and gets the screams down pat. Very good vocals. Guitars are powerful and very catchy riffs. It's a powerful album that needs to be played loud. It almost needs more power than it has, which is hard to describe. I kept looking for a bigger sound at times, so I kept turning it up! :)

One bummer in the car (at least) There are short audio gaps between songs that should not have gaps. I might have to make a "fixed" copy if I end up liking this a lot.

Great surround mix, will post in the poll thread after I listen a few more times. However, if you like Black Sabaath, Alice Cooper, good surround, this is for you. Go get it.

Received my copy today. Really quick shipping considering it came from overseas. Will have to wait until tomorrow evening to listen, but I'm looking forward to it.

Back