OGRE - "Plague Of The Planet", new 5.1 QuadroSurround DVD-A Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Coming from Quadro-Surround, a 5.1 release of their 2009 album. Details will follow

http://www.quadro-surround.de/popups/q17-ogre.html

OGRE is a real Hard-Rock-Band. This music has till now not contains in our repertoire. But fans mean after a test listening, that we should produce also such modern music. It is not the usual music of those rock-bands, because the different tracks of the production are sections from a coherent science-fiction story about the possible future of the the planet and the human race. It is music with a concept and a message. Playing the stereo CD, one must listen the hole music without interruption. But we have set inaudible marks, so that the listener can select individual songs. With the music each listener can push his quadraphonic or surround set to a top performance till it makes steam. There are listen roaring guitars by assistance from a noising drum and a voice of the singer as Alice Cooper could do it not better. Also is worked with synthezisers. The band means, one should listen their music so loud as possible. Sometime before Ogre has produced two other productions for stereo CDs. But for their third recording they have asked, if we could make addional a quadraphonic remix. This we have done now for astonishing enjoying.

Dietrich Räsch

Hi all,

This is Ross, guitarist for OGRE. First post here, though I've been lurking on the site for a while now (I have learned A LOT from the various posts I've read in the QQ forums----thanks!!). I just wanted to express how excited I am to hear "Plague of the Planet" in full quadraphonic sound, as this is something that I envisioned for the album since we first released it on CD back in 2008. It was around that time that I started getting heavily into quad and surround sound music, and I always felt that "Plague" was perfectly suited for that format. Also, when we recorded the album, our engineer was very into hi-res recording, and he recorded the whole album at 192khz, which I believe was pretty much unheard of at that time. Though the quad DVD-A won't be at such high resolution, I know that Dietrich and his crew will do an amazing job of creating a very high quality release of our music, as all the other Quadro-Surround productions have been excellent. I can't thank Dietrich enough for making this happen---he has been great to work with from start to (almost) finish!

Interestingly enough, this album had a little bit of "5.1 pedigree" even before it was actually mixed into quad. Scott Elson, the guy who mastered the original stereo recording of "Plague", also worked with Bob Ludwig on the 5.1 30th anniversary release of Queen's "A Night at the Opera", which is one of the surround discs that got me into the whole world of 5.1/surround music. That's one of my favorite albums of all time, and hearing it in surround was a revelation, to say the least.

At any rate, I hope that the QQ community will enjoy this release. From reading various posts, I know that there are a lot of fans of 70s rock and prog on the board, and that's exactly where OGRE is coming from... Though we often are labeled a "doom metal" band, our influences come straight out of the era of Deep Purple, King Crimson, and Black Sabbath. In fact, the most complimentary description of "Plague of the Planet" I've heard is that it sounds like Rush meets Sabbath (with Bon Scott on vocals!). While I can't claim that we are anywhere close to the level of those greats, it should give you a sense of where we are coming from musically.

BTW, I cannot wait to hear "Warrior on the Edge of Time" in surround!! Hawkwind is absolutely one of my favorite 70s space rock bands....

hi Ross and welcome to QQ
right now i'm listening this album from link, provided by wavelength.
that's true, the music and particularly many of guitar riffs reminds Black Sabbath.
would be interesting to hear in surround sound. albeit Sabbath are my faves almost
since kindergarden, sadly their lone quad release wasn't much impressive.

Wow!

Just listening via Youtube (thanks for the link) and am liking what I'm hearing! As well as Sabbath and Bon Scott I'm also hearing Iron Maiden with Paul Di'Anno. Ticks a lot of boxes and heaven knows there's not enough heavy rock in surround!

Just one question, Ross: Where and when (okay two questions) can we buy it from?

Hi Ross, welcome to QQ. It is always nice when artists and mixers join this forum!

Looking forward to this. It will be my first full lenght Quadro Surround dvd a, after the sampler dvd a.

Neil, you can buy this directly from Quadro Surround, http://www.quadro-surround.de/ Wen you contact them, Dietrich will provide youwith payment details. Contacting him via PM will work too I suppose.

I received a mail-shot from Quaro Surround a few days ago giving some details of the release and a link to the website. At this stage the information on the website was quite basic with no release date mentioned so, as Dietrich frequents this forum, I decided to wait until something like Jon's post turned up. I did, however, check out some samples of the band on Amazon and was intrigued by what I heard. I was impressed by Quadro's previous release (Parsons Thibaud) and am looking forward to seeing what they do with this kind of material - they certainly seem to covering an eclectic selection of bases.

I assume that ordering will be via e-mail to Dietrich and a PayPal payment as with the previous release?

Good luck and thanks to all concerned.

Yes, thats what I did a few days ago. Dietrich told me that the dvd a's would be ready last Wednesday.

Yes, Robert, the DVD-As were ready last Wednesday, as I know that Dietrich sent out copies for the band on that day. Since we are in Maine, USA and Dietrich is in Germany, they still are in transit, but I will let everyone know when our copies have arrived. As you can imagine, I really can't wait to finally hear it.

Ordering should be done straight through the Quadro-Surround website, though Dietrich did say that soon he might be selling through eBay as well. The band also will have some copies to sell at gigs, but you'd have to come to Maine for that!

Thanks everyone for the interest so far!

Hi Ross - I'd like to say I judged your band entirely by the cover! Very cool artwork indeed. Having done a quick online listen, you sound just as cool and as soon as the link is up I'm ordering.

I would add though that an esteemed and learned fellow forum member - Otto, was not thrilled by the quad version of Sabbath's Paranoid. I'd counter by saying that official release that came with the Special Edition is a travesty and sounds like mud throughout as it was sourced from a CD4 needle drop rip from a pretty shoddy source by all accounts. There are two versions out there in the 'wild' that have superb fidelity, the Q4 being the one to look out for. ZZ Top's 'Tres Hombres' is another Q4 out there that I'm sure you'll really dig.

Your passion for the surround format is a real thrill and thank you for your hard work, I look forward to turning this one up :smokin

Hi Ross - I'd like to say I judged your band entirely by the cover! Very cool artwork indeed. Having done a quick online listen, you sound just as cool and as soon as the link is up I'm ordering.

I would add though that an esteemed and learned fellow forum member - Otto, was not thrilled by the quad version of Sabbath's Paranoid. I'd counter by saying that official release that came with the Special Edition is a travesty and sounds like mud throughout as it was sourced from a CD4 needle drop rip from a pretty shoddy source by all accounts. There are two versions out there in the 'wild' that have superb fidelity, the Q4 being the one to look out for. ZZ Top's 'Tres Hombres' is another Q4 out there that I'm sure you'll really dig.

Your passion for the surround format is a real thrill and thank you for your hard work, I look forward to turning this one up :smokin

Thanks for the comment about the artwork! I will make sure to pass it along to our drummer, who did all of the artwork for the album. In fact, Dietrich was kind enough to indulge me one other request regarding this release...This will be the first Quadro-Surround release with a visual component. I'm not sure if you did any research into the album, but it is a 37-minute sci-fi concept album and those robots and such on the front cover are the main characters in the story. The album is broken up into 11 different sections and our drummer originally did an individual piece of artwork for each of the sections, but unfortunately, we were unable to include all of those in the booklet for the CD version. On the DVD-A, though, you will have the option to see those visuals accompanying the music, if you wish. You can also direct play without the visuals, if preferred.

I agree wholeheartedly about the different versions of the "Paranoid" quad. I, too, was highly disappointed in the Special Edition version, but since then, I have acquired a copy of the other versions out there, and I think the Q4 version is spectacular. I have listened to that album so many times in my life, but I heard many, many things I had never heard before (including a major flub from Geezer during "Iron Man"!!!).

Agreed as well on the "Tres Hombres" quad mix...another all-time favorite record that opens up to a whole other level in quad.

Thanks again!!

Hi Ross,

Welcome to QQ. Glad you found us and have posted. As soon as I get my copy, I will create a poll and post scans of the disc and case. It would be great if this release helped to get more people to listen to the great work Dietrich has been doing with Quadro-Surround. I realize that members seem to have a hard time getting his releases, but many are well worth it.

I am truly saddened that more members have not heard the Parsons Thibaud DVD-A, because I feel it stands on its own as one of the best surround DVD-A's I've ever heard.

Here's hoping that your release gets the word out and this becomes their biggest seller.

As some others have said here already, Ogre disk is available, not really that complicated, sent Dietrich a email and sent payment to his paypal and Ogre disk is on the way.
Even though it says coming soon on their website, they are shipping the disk's already.
I also ordered the Parsons Thibaud and the Classic Quintett, look forward to getting these.

peter

Thanks for the link. It borrows a LOT from Black Sabbath, with a bit of the Doors thrown in on the quieter parts ... at least that is how I see it.

I would probably order this if it didn't have to come from Germany. Also, I am curious about the medium. Is it a commercial DVD disk, or a writable one done on a computer? I am always wary of home-grown disks that may or may not play on certain units. Cool music though.

I recieved the disc already, and its very good. The Black Sabbath guitar sound is there. It s a musical journey where the somgs are linked together. Great vocals too!

On the first few songs the rears as mostly bass and a bit of drums plus some vocals. At the begijng of the song Drive , there is a nice car soundgoing around the speakers. On the song Battle of Doom, a fight is simulated with spunds coming from all speakers. After that the rears are also used for organ. Very well mixed!

For some reason, the bonus track has much harder drums in the rears. Perhaps Dietrich can tel us why this choice was made.

I need to give it some more spins, but on first listen it is a nice mix for a great song cycle.

I recieved the disc already, and its very good. The Black Sabbath guitar sound is there. It s a musical journey where the somgs are linked together. Great vocals too!

On the first few songs the rears as mostly bass and a bit of drums plus some vocals. At the begijng of the song Drive , there is a nice car soundgoing around the speakers. On the song Battle of Doom, a fight is simulated with spunds coming from all speakers. After that the rears are also used for organ. Very well mixed!

For some reason, the bonus track has much harder drums in the rears. Perhaps Dietrich can tel us why this choice was made.

I need to give it some more spins, but on first listen it is a nice mix for a great song cycle.

You're killing me, Robert!! I haven't even heard the mix yet....I've been checking the mail everyday, but the package from Dietrich hasn't arrived here yet. I'm glad you are enjoying it, though!

forum member - Otto, was not thrilled by the quad version of Sabbath's Paranoid. I'd counter by saying that official release that came with the Special Edition is a travesty and sounds like mud throughout as it was sourced from a CD4 needle drop rip from a pretty shoddy source by all accounts. There are two versions out there in the 'wild' that have superb fidelity, the Q4 being the one to look out for.
i do have all possible versions of this quad. sadly it's not about fidelity of the
sound but about mix itself, which honestly, i don't like.

Also, I am curious about the medium. Is it a commercial DVD disk, or a writable one done on a computer?
i haven't seen the house, which would replicate less than 1000 units.
Quadro-Surround doesn't do so many prints thus my guess they use recordable DVD.

i do have all possible versions of this quad. sadly it's not about fidelity of the
sound but about mix itself, which honestly, i don't like.

i haven't seen the house, which would replicate less than 1000 units.
Quadro-Surround doesn't do so many prints thus my guess they use recordable DVD.

It's actually worthwhile replicating (pressing) from as few as 300 these days.
500 is definitely worthwhile, and 1,000 is a no-brainer.

Thanks for the comment about the artwork! I will make sure to pass it along to our drummer, who did all of the artwork for the album. In fact, Dietrich was kind enough to indulge me one other request regarding this release...This will be the first Quadro-Surround release with a visual component. I'm not sure if you did any research into the album, but it is a 37-minute sci-fi concept album and those robots and such on the front cover are the main characters in the story. The album is broken up into 11 different sections and our drummer originally did an individual piece of artwork for each of the sections, but unfortunately, we were unable to include all of those in the booklet for the CD version. On the DVD-A, though, you will have the option to see those visuals accompanying the music, if you wish. You can also direct play without the visuals, if preferred.

I agree wholeheartedly about the different versions of the "Paranoid" quad. I, too, was highly disappointed in the Special Edition version, but since then, I have acquired a copy of the other versions out there, and I think the Q4 version is spectacular. I have listened to that album so many times in my life, but I heard many, many things I had never heard before (including a major flub from Geezer during "Iron Man"!!!).

Agreed as well on the "Tres Hombres" quad mix...another all-time favorite record that opens up to a whole other level in quad.

Thanks again!!

Thanks for your lovely response - if you guys end up playing London at any point please let us know!

That flub is amazing isn't it? I love hearing more in the quad than you normally do (isn't there a quad mix out there with a pronounced belch in the rears somewhere? Doobies?) and given your excellent taste and quad hunting skills you must have found Deep Purple's Machinehead and Stormbringer in similar form. Cracking stuff all round. I ordered my copy of your disc today and I look forward to turning this one right up on Friday night :smokin

It's actually worthwhile replicating (pressing) from as few as 300 these days.
500 is definitely worthwhile, and 1,000 is a no-brainer.

so, if its so cheap (or rather financially viable) to do such limited runs of dvd's now.. then the only major stumbling block to more surround must be the costs of new 5.1 mix creation..

.. in which case, if a company were to pay for licensing existing quad mixes and keep the finished DVD product as bare bones as possible, isn't that a solution?

..wouldn't it be viable to do a small enough run just for our QQ hardcore (I'm convinced a few hundred or so of us visit here pretty much all the time, everyday - that's hardcore in my book) and if they were say 20 quid a pop would the guaranteed 500 sales to QQ hardcore @£20 (or £10k gross income) be sufficient to cover costs of licensing an existing quad mix, mastering, transferring to digital, authoring, replication etc.?? or would it still cost much more to do that?

what I'm getting at is the question of feasibility of a small label (or initiative) self-funded by our devoted members and how much money we'd need to raise (by way of a pledge or donation?) to get new DVD-A's of old quad mixes legitimately out there..??

Back