HiRez Poll Ogre - THE LAST NEANDERTHAL [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please rate the DVD-A of Ogre - THE LAST NEANDERTHAL

• 10 - Excellent Surround, Excellent Fidelity, Excellent Content

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 9 -

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 8 -

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this June 2015 quadraphonic DVD-A release from Germany's "Quadro-Surround" records. This is Ogre's second Quadro-Surround DVD-A and it, as its predecessor, is great surround Heavy Metal, for you heavy metal heads!

(n):phones(y)

You can get this DVD-A from the QuadroSurround website

Ogre Front.jpg
Ogre Back.jpg

Great discrete surround (quad!) mix with excellent dynamite dynamix :music . A ten.

In the interest of full disclosure, Quadro-Surround sent me this recording at no charge in exchange for my review.

I received my copy of Ogre: "The Last Neanderthal" about a week and a half ago. I listened once last weekend and last night. The album starts with what I would imagine a UFO landing nearby sounds like. This short track, "Shadow Earth" is louder than the rest of the album, so don't adjust the volume on it. Ogre reccommends that you play this music "as loud as humanly possible". Well, I didn't do that, but I had it up pretty loud. My first impression is that once past "Shadow Earth" it sounds similar to early Black Sabbath. The music, and the singer's style is similar. Having said that, it's good music, and shines in it's own right. There is a bit of humor on the cover, I'll leave it to y'all to find it. The second cut, "Nine Princes in Amber" is a warrior song, the lead singer is a bit above the level of the rest of the band, but this smoothes out on following tracks. It's not bad though. Next is a drug song, "Bad Trip" a tragic tale of a strung out father who sells his daughter for dope. The next cut "Son of Sysiphus" is all about the drudgery of factory work. On "Soulless Woman" the tempo picks up, but for some reason the lyrics are not displayed, as they are on the other songs. It's a good cut though. The next cut."Warpath" well, you could guess that it's a war song. I'm not sure when and where the story is set. White Plume Mountain displays no lyrics also, because there are none. It's an easy going instrumental that mellows the mood a bit. "The Hermit" is the final cut, it chronicles the thoughts of a homeless man. It has some nice guitar work in it. Overall, the album has an agressive surround mix, and it's quite playful, without sounding contrived. Us older quadraholics will love it. Another good addition to my collection, it'll fit right in.

The Quadfather

Quadfather - Thanks for the great review! I haven't heard the full quad mix yet (my discs are still on the way), but I am really looking forward to it.

GOS - The quad DVD-A is available through the Quadro-Surround website: http://www.quadro-surround.de/english/avaiable_productions.html If you want to check out our music, there are plenty of songs uploaded to YouTube. Here's one for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd9Gl9pPgyw

And, if you are interested in a copy of any of our stereo CDs (we have released 4 albums in total), then please feel free to PM me. If you like early Sabbath, then I think you'll dig what we are going for in our sound.

I was thrilled to see this being made available; I really enjoyed the previous album and I placed my order with Dietrich straightaway. From Germany to San Francisco took only a few days and I revisited Plague Of The Planet first in order to get myself back into their groove. A full and expansive sound from the out set with great phantom vocal placement. Ogre scratch that 70s heavy rock itch so very nicely; authentically blistering guitar tones and deep bass are matched by thunderous drums and a soaring vocal that are complimented by a very 70s quad mix. The concept of the album runs authentically throughout as well and I feel super lucky that our wealth of quad riches in one week can run from the AF Best Of The Doors SACD to this contemporary release from Ogre. These are fine times and I urge any of you with even a slight interest in 70s heavy rock to get this (and the previous) release. Dietrich is wonderful to deal with over email and these albums are probably not making either Dietrich or Ogre a ton of money; it's a worthy investment in any case. I'd recommend low light, cold beer and high volume for maximum vibes :smokin

Last edited:
Another great Ogre release! Anyone who bought the Black Sabbath "Paranoid" DVD and was disappointed in the sound quality of the quad needs to get one of these Ogre discs. The music stands on its own as great heavy metal with an early 70s vibe, extended guitar solos, and great vocals reminiscent of Bon Scott or Ozzy. The surround mix is really fun with panned effects and solos, and very discrete. The drums on this release pack more punch than on the first Ogre quad. My only negative comment would be that one of the ride cymbals intermittently heard on several songs is quite distorted... Once I hear it my ears have to work to ignore it (distorted cymbals always seem to drive me nuts!) I give it an 8. Highly recommended for fans of early metal!

New to 4.0, how do I set this up properly - disabling the center and sub? I love the sound of this!

You shouldn't need to change anything in your system. The center channel will just not make any sound. And, the sub will be active IF you have base management enabled, which will route deep bass frequencies from other channels to your sub.

Basically, whatever settings work best for 5.1 playback on your system should also work perfectly for a 4.0 mix.

WOW!!! I absolutely LOVE this music...and this surround mix. Make no mistake...this is a stomping, jamming....early 70's Sabbath style rock and roll album. So much of the music has Iommi style riffs....and Ward type drumming.....

OK - then there are the vocals....if this isn't Ozzy reincarnated...I don't know what is.....but just for kicks...song number 5 sounds just like Bon Scott! This is over the top good IMO.

If you like early 70's Sabbath..you will do back flips over this. Not sure if the 4.0 is over the top....but the rock and roll factor is there. I love it.....easily one of my favorites...

Nice job OGRE! Bring some more of this on...you guys rock. Obviously you are influenced by early Sabbath....which is OK by me. I vote a 9!!!

This...absolutely...JAMS!! Like Sabbath...this needs to be played as loud as you possible can to appreciate the power....lower volumes doesn't do it justice. :)

New to 4.0, how do I set this up properly - disabling the center and sub? I love the sound of this!

You shouldn't need to change anything in your system. The center channel will just not make any sound. And, the sub will be active IF you have base management enabled, which will route deep bass frequencies from other channels to your sub.

Basically, whatever settings work best for 5.1 playback on your system should also work perfectly for a 4.0 mix.

Exactly.....just let your system figure it out...this 4.0 will play in your 4 speakers...center is silent. This is amazing.......equal power to all 4!!

Just play it. Nothing will come out of the extra speakers. Although, it might sound like there are vocals coming from the center speaker, it's just phantom imaging. But you might have to stick your ear to the center speaker to convince yourself it's not on.
The Quadfather

I now have the CD version of this as well. I will compare the two, give them both several listens and write a review at a later date.

Ogre are the shit! Excuse the French.

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback! I really think that Dietrich did an excellent job with this release, improving on the quad mix of "Plague of the Planet" in several notable ways. Of the two OGRE quad mixes, this definitely is the more adventurous one, which is how I like my quad/surround albums. A few inconsistencies here and there (which are probably more noticeable to me than most listeners), but a fun mix all around.

WOW!!! I absolutely LOVE this music...and this surround mix. Make no mistake...this is a stomping, jamming....early 70's Sabbath style rock and roll album. So much of the music has Iommi style riffs....and Ward type drumming.....

OK - then there are the vocals....if this isn't Ozzy reincarnated...I don't know what is.....but just for kicks...song number 5 sounds just like Bon Scott! This is over the top good IMO.

If you like early 70's Sabbath..you will do back flips over this. Not sure if the 4.0 is over the top....but the rock and roll factor is there. I love it.....easily one of my favorites...

Nice job OGRE! Bring some more of this on...you guys rock. Obviously you are influenced by early Sabbath....which is OK by me. I vote a 9!!!

This...absolutely...JAMS!! Like Sabbath...this needs to be played as loud as you possible can to appreciate the power....lower volumes doesn't do it justice. :)

Check out Ogre's other albums. Seven Hells is my fav.
https://ogrereal.bandcamp.com/album/seven-hells

Snare drum all the way over to the left, WTF? Very annoying. Great album, a lot of fun.

Last edited:
I love the music! Great stuff! I generally like the aggressive quad mix too, although it is not perfect. For example, the guitars on the first track don't have as much "power" as the stereo mix. They just sound a little weak. Other tracks improve on this. Also, when the guitar solos pan from one speaker to the other, the guitar almost "disappears" between speakers. I found that a bit strange.

Maybe I became too accustomed to the stereo mix before hearing the quad, so I am noticing the differences. But, now I understand why Steven Wilson reproduces the stereo mix before creating the 5.1. It ensures he gets the levels right, resulting in a 5.1 mix that is more faithful to the stereo mix.

Still, it is an very entertaining listen! So, don't let my critical comments prevent you from buying it. If you like Ogre's music after listening on bandcamp, then this is a must-have. I'm giving it an 8.

Back