Oh no - Foobar problems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Tonight, I went to play some tunes via Foobar and I got this dramatic message. No matter what I do, reboot laptop, reboot NAS, reboot WIFI, I still get the error and nothing will play.

I admit, this frightens the hell out of me. What could it be?

Unrecoverable playback error: Unspecified error (0x80004005)

OK, what frightens me even more...is that no one has said a word. That tells me no one has had this issue...and oh man. Could my NAS have failed me? It is still lit up like normal though. Nothing seems different.

OK, what frightens me even more...is that no one has said a word. That tells me no one has had this issue...and oh man. Could my NAS have failed me? It is still lit up like normal though. Nothing seems different.

Wish I could help but don't own a foobar, wish I did.

Holy Crap! I got it.....

Well, I don't really understand it...but I had rebooted every single thing...except my AVR. I rebooted AVR and all is OK.
Wow, I'm relieved. I have hundreds of hours dedicated to ripping music to this NAS.....oh boy. Now I can drink wine...relieved.

Holy Crap! I got it.....

Well, I don't really understand it...but I had rebooted every single thing...except my AVR. I rebooted AVR and all is OK.
Wow, I'm relieved. I have hundreds of hours dedicated to ripping music to this NAS.....oh boy. Now I can drink wine...relieved.

There are spy's among us. Aliens/Trumps where looking at your machine and they forgot to cover there tracks.

Holy Crap! I got it.....

Sorry, I'm a bit late here but I'm glad you corrected the problem.

Excellent lesson for all of us HTPC people. HDMI is a digital protocol with lots of "handshaking", which is basically a lot of talking back and forth from device to device. Are you OK? , Yes, I'm OK! Are you still OK? Kinda like that..

The application Foobar has a direct connection with the receiver's HDMI port, so you can reboot the PC one hundred times and reinstall software all day, but the HDMI protocol stack on the AVR will stay locked up until it is rebooted. Yes, the Audio receiver is actually acting as a computer in this case and can get "stuck" digitally, requiring a reboot to clear the protocol stack(the errors).

So don't forget to reboot the audio receiver in times of HTPC trouble. :smokin

Hey GOS - I know the NAS is redundant and stuff............how much info gigs wise is on it?

Shit man - 4 gig hard drives are under 100 bux nowadays 8 gigs a bit more..........might be koo to back up the NAS lol - I doubt the NAS was the prob, but prob something interacting with the Operating Sytem being WIndows whatever.........I would suggest..........make sure you turn off your laptop before turning off you audio video system. It's kind of like plugging in externals - ya don;t want to unplug them before safely ejecting them form the operating system or just turning off your computer.

but depending on what operating system u have...........google the error message you will be surprised what you find - it is a frustrating and common error in windows 7...........not all answers are correct nor germane to your problem/operating system, but ya might find something.

If ya got it fixed - AWESOME

the way ya fixed it makes me believe that ya might have powered something off before shutting down correctly:mad:@:

I have 8tb total....but I haven't educated myself on how to parse the music to 4tb and use the other 4 as a backup. I know, I know...I need to learn.

I have 8tb total....but I haven't educated myself on how to parse the music to 4tb and use the other 4 as a backup. I know, I know...I need to learn.

External 8 tb http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...rue&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

Drag and drop buddy - it will take a long time but...........just back up ur NAS which is kind of a back up.........on a one External 8 TB - granted we being paranoid, but like Skherbeck says :smokin

Better prices on Amazon probably but...........Snood personal faves are Western Digital

OK - I'm going to have to ask you how to do backups.....

Well, I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it RIGHT... but here's my way:

I rip and mix everything on my laptop and save it on the external drive. Then every few weeks when I feel like wasting time, I disconnect the drive and copy
the newly added stuff to my other 2 external drives.

(By the way, I don't have a NAS; just 3 different external hard drives, 8TB each, 1 connected to each of 2 computers, the last connected to my OPPO)

"NAS" just seems like another scary technological thingy I'm not ready to delve into yet.

Sorry, I'm a bit late here but I'm glad you corrected the problem.

Excellent lesson for all of us HTPC people. HDMI is a digital protocol with lots of "handshaking", which is basically a lot of talking back and forth from device to device. Are you OK? , Yes, I'm OK! Are you still OK? Kinda like that..

Amen. And this is exactly why I hate HDMI. Sometimes my Foobar completely locks up when switching from different types of files (e.g. DSD to FLAC). I think USB is a much better option than HDMI. But most USB DACs don't support multichannel over USB (like the Oppo 105/205). I just spent a fortune on an Exasound DAC which can do multichannel over USB. Hopefully my HDMI handshake issues are over for good. Will hopefully receive my Exasound in the near future and will report back.

OK - I'm going to have to ask you how to do backups.....

Here is how I do it:

I have all my music on a NAS that has dual 6TB drives for a total of 12TB. I purchased a couple of external USB drives to back up my NAS. Every couple of weeks, I connect the external drives and "synch" them to the NAS. This is very simply done using a free program from Microsoft called SyncToy. SyncToy will keep track of what files have changed on my NAS and only copy those to the back-up everytime I run the program. If I had deleted files from my NAS, then Synctoy will also delete those files from my external drives. It keeps track of what is new, what has changed, and what has been removed. As the name suggests, it synchronizes files from two different drives.

Here is the place to download SyncToy for free:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Here is how I do it:

I have all my music on a NAS that has dual 6TB drives for a total of 12TB. I purchased a couple of external USB drives to back up my NAS. Every couple of weeks, I connect the external drives and "synch" them to the NAS. This is very simply done using a free program from Microsoft called SyncToy. SyncToy will keep track of what files have changed on my NAS and only copy those to the back-up everytime I run the program. If I had deleted files from my NAS, then Synctoy will also delete those files from my external drives. It keeps track of what is new, what has changed, and what has been removed. As the name suggests, it synchronizes files from two different drives.

I'm terrified of programs that claim to mirror drives and fix replace and delete content. I could never use it all the time and sleep well. I don't even trust straight back ups - transfer of files. A checksum type of system is the best bet for paranoid me.

Tonight, I went to play some tunes via Foobar and I got this dramatic message. No matter what I do, reboot laptop, reboot NAS, reboot WIFI, I still get the error and nothing will play.

I admit, this frightens the hell out of me. What could it be?

Unrecoverable playback error: Unspecified error (0x80004005)

First of all, not everyone here is in your time zone, so don't panic if in an hour you haven't got a reply yet. :)

Second, i have seen this error on one of my machine and it is related to the usb dac connected between pc and amplifier. Powering off Foobar, unplugging the usb dac, repluggin' it and foobar restart solves the problem. Or a power cycle off/on.

So, it seems your sound device wasn't seen it anymore in foobar. Reboot, take it easy and DO A BACKUP OF THE NAS. This will be a really SERIOUS problem if something goes south.

Here is how I do it:

There two versions available. Which one should I download?

Microsoft%20Sync_zpsayysve2x.jpg

Here is how I do it:

So, you obviously had to buy an external drive large enough to handle the initial backup (assuming you had a few TB of data to backup from the NAS)
Right?

Back