Oh no - Foobar problems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There two versions available. Which one should I download?

Microsoft%20Sync_zpsayysve2x.jpg

That depends on what OS you have (32 or 64bit). :)

Hmmm - so the x64 is for those with a 64bit and then the x86 is for those with a...um....32bit? lmao
These are the reasons non computer dudes like me struggle. hahaha

It's pretty easy to figure out Gene. :)

Open a window and left click on computer then choose properties.

Windows%20Check%201_zpsqehgmokl.jpg

Then you will see which version you have.

Windows%20Check%202_zpsxbn2bx6a.jpg

Synctoy is a good program, I use it myself as well. My set up is as follows. I rip everything on my desktop. I work on them in a few folders I named Temp (dvdae temp, or audio muxer temp for example)Scan cover art and tag as well on the desktop. Files are then copied to the music pc. With synctoy I do a sync from the music pc to the desktop where the Copy folder is. The files in the Temp folders are then deleted.

The Copy folder is back upped to Livedrive, in the cloud. So basically two copied in house, and one outside.

And Gene, be careful with the NAS. Back up is KEY. And RAID is no back up. I am mainly parrotting here, but what I understand is that RAID is mainly useful to prevent data loss in case of drive failure. But what if your NAS fails completely? Back up will be better in that case.

Good to see you have resolved the problem.

Synctoy is a good program, I use it myself as well. My set up is as follows. I rip everything on my desktop. I work on them in a few folders I named Temp (dvdae temp, or audio muxer temp for example)Scan cover art and tag as well on the desktop. Files are then copied to the music pc. With synctoy I do a sync from the music pc to the desktop where the Copy folder is. The files in the Temp folders are then deleted.

The Copy folder is back upped to Livedrive, in the cloud. So basically two copied in house, and one outside.

You mean two in house and one in the back house... ;)

Good Sir Robin(Robert),

I must say I think you have an outstanding method for transferring & protecting music from optical to file based data. I just wanted to chime in and show my respect. Seriously dude, no joke, having worked electronics/IT since 1980 with a lot of professionals... I am still amazed at Euro/Dutch/German proficiency & efficiency.

Very impressive. There are so many ways to handle our prized musical files but you seem to have a perfect solution. Very cool indeed.:smokin

R.A.I.D. can be quite useful as long as its not RAID 0, but RAID can require a bit of IT acumen to restore a failed RAID array, so I'd agree its not the best solution for non-tech types. Although a Hot Swappable RAID 4,5 or 6 NAS still should rock anybody's world. But again, for only musical files, your system is simply perfect. I can't imagine anything better. If 1080p or above movies are to be be added, uploading to the cloud becomes a bottleneck and a nice fat NAS becomes more attractive.

@GOS: Just make sure you have back up copies of your files, Dude. It can be an external USB drive or another SATA drive in the closet or the cloud or over at RvD's house. When you lose a hard drive and all your music, there are really no style points for how you restore the data. Just that you will be able to restore the data. (y)

Hi Robert,

I've been looking for a Cloud back-up option. What is the cost of LiveDrive per Terabyte?

I'm out of the country on a business trip, and my security s/w is blocking lots of sites as the hotel I'm staying in doesn't have secure wi-fi access :(

Cheers

Duncan

And Gene, be careful with the NAS. Back up is KEY. And RAID is no back up. I am mainly parrotting here, but what I understand is that RAID is mainly useful to prevent data loss in case of drive failure. But what if your NAS fails completely? Back up will be better in that case.

Good to see you have resolved the problem.

Hi Duncan, Livedrive has several options. The one I use is Computer back, which is unlimited for €6,00 per month. Currently I have 1.5TB saved. This is for one PC only. They also offer a 5 PC unlimited for €17,00 a month. Then there is a thing called Briefcase, which is limited to 2TB and cost €10,00 a month. This is more then the unlimited 1 PC plan. Depending on what you want Briefcase can be a good option.

See here for more details, https://www2.livedrive.com/ForHome

So far, this solution works good for me. Recently there was a little problem that the app on the PC could not connect. It kept asking for log on all the time. This was resolved very quickly with good feedback on the ticket I had created.

Good Sir Robin(Robert),

I must say I think you have an outstanding method for transferring & protecting music from optical to file based data. I just wanted to chime in and show my respect. Seriously dude, no joke, having worked electronics/IT since 1980 with a lot of professionals... I am still amazed at Euro/Dutch/German proficiency & efficiency.

Very impressive. There are so many ways to handle our prized musical files but you seem to have a perfect solution. Very cool indeed.:smokin

R.A.I.D. can be quite useful as long as its not RAID 0, but RAID can require a bit of IT acumen to restore a failed RAID array, so I'd agree its not the best solution for non-tech types. Although a Hot Swappable RAID 4,5 or 6 NAS still should rock anybody's world. But again, for only musical files, your system is simply perfect. I can't imagine anything better. If 1080p or above movies are to be be added, uploading to the cloud becomes a bottleneck and a nice fat NAS becomes more attractive.

@GOS: Just make sure you have back up copies of your files, Dude. It can be an external USB drive or another SATA drive in the closet or the cloud or over at RvD's house. When you lose a hard drive and all your music, there are really no style points for how you restore the data. Just that you will be able to restore the data. (y)
Thanks DMJ, much appreciated. So far it is working well. Luckily no harddrive failure yet.

The bold text is partly joking of course, but it is somethign people do. Be a backup of each other. Meaning storing their own files on some one else their NAS and vice versa. Seems like a solid option too.

Cloud storage is not an option for me. I get under 2Mbps upload so it would take over an hour to copy a single hires MCH release. Next year we get access to 40Mbps upload then I will use the cloud!

Now I backup to drives using Robocopy (comes with Windows). I can tell it to only copy changed or new files. I just run it and it only copies the changes, I dont need to do any thinking.

Hi folks. I have a Foobar question and had searched the forum for a Foobar thread a month or so ago but couldn't find one, so when I saw this thread I thought it might be the right place to get an answer. If it isn't, I ask one of the mods to point me in the right direction.

I usually do my listening in my main 5.1 OPPO listening room, but since, in the name of “marital happiness”, I sometimes have to give up that room so my wife can watch such important shows as “Judge Judy” and “Say Yes To The Dress”. :rolleyes:

Therefore I end up in a smaller room in which I have an older PC that has a 4.1 sound card (no center). When I play a 5.1 disc through PowerDVD (which plays MLP & DTS) I have the option to select the speaker set up and it creates a phantom center speaker. This works well. (y)

I put Foobar on this PC so I could play 5.1 flac files through the system. My problem is that I lose the center channel when I do this. I tried to find an answer on-line and saw that there had been a Foobar Center Channel add-on, but read that it hasn't worked since a previous Foobar upgrade. (n)

Does anyone know if there's a way to get Foobar to assign the center channel to FR/FL in a 4.1 set up to create a phantom center? I guess you could call this a Phantom Menace!!! :yikes

Hi folks. I have a Foobar question and had searched the forum for a Foobar thread a month or so ago but couldn't find one, so when I saw this thread I thought it might be the right place to get an answer. If it isn't, I ask one of the mods to point me in the right direction.

I usually do my listening in my main 5.1 OPPO listening room, but since, in the name of “marital happiness”, I sometimes have to give up that room so my wife can watch such important shows as “Judge Judy” and “Say Yes To The Dress”. :rolleyes:

Therefore I end up in a smaller room in which I have an older PC that has a 4.1 sound card (no center). When I play a 5.1 disc through PowerDVD (which plays MLP & DTS) I have the option to select the speaker set up and it creates a phantom center speaker. This works well. (y)

I put Foobar on this PC so I could play 5.1 flac files through the system. My problem is that I lose the center channel when I do this. I tried to find an answer on-line and saw that there had been a Foobar Center Channel add-on, but read that it hasn't worked since a previous Foobar upgrade. (n)

Does anyone know if there's a way to get Foobar to assign the center channel to FR/FL in a 4.1 set up to create a phantom center? I guess you could call this a Phantom Menace!!! :yikes

Dude,

Its much better if you simply get a center speaker, you can get a 5.1 soundblaster sound card for cheap these days.

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-audigy-fx

$39.99 :smokin

If you stick with 4.1 you can use the Channel Mixer plugin for Foobar, to do what you want:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,29985.0.html

I used this a few years ago actually to setup a Foobar 3D Headphone thing... It allows you to do the channel assigning since it has a 5.1 "channel mixer", hence the name. ;)

Dude,

Its much better if you simply get a center speaker, you can get a 5.1 soundblaster sound card for cheap these days.

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-audigy-fx

$39.99 :smokin

If you stick with 4.1 you can use the Channel Mixer plugin for Foobar, to do what you want:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,29985.0.html

I used this a few years ago actually to setup a Foobar 3D Headphone thing... It allows you to do the channel assigning since it has a 5.1 "channel mixer", hence the name. ;)

Thanks for the reply Dennis. I think the Channel Mixer is the add-on I was referring to. Since that PC is only used sparingly and I can still play 5.1 from discs and flac quad mixes with no problem I'll try the add-on first since I'm a CHEAP S.O.B. :) I downloaded it and will play around with it today. Thanks again.

I'm terrified of programs that claim to mirror drives and fix replace and delete content. I could never use it all the time and sleep well. I don't even trust straight back ups - transfer of files. A checksum type of system is the best bet for paranoid me.

My workaround is to have only dry runs scheduled. That will give me a report of what WOULD be copied/deleted and I can then choose whether or not to run the actual potentially destructive job. It doesn't hurt that I have two local backups so if something goes horribly wrong with the first I'm not hopelessly screwed.

The application Foobar has a direct connection with the receiver's HDMI port, so you can reboot the PC one hundred times and reinstall software all day, but the HDMI protocol stack on the AVR will stay locked up until it is rebooted. Yes, the Audio receiver is actually acting as a computer in this case and can get "stuck" digitally, requiring a reboot to clear the protocol stack(the errors).

So don't forget to reboot the audio receiver in times of HTPC trouble. :smokin

And I've learned that at least in Onykoland "reboot" usually means pulling the plug and waiting a few seconds. Simply turning the thing off and on is rarely sufficient.

It's important to remember the HDMI/HDCP has been from the beginning about intentionally making stuff NOT work as much as making it work.

And I've learned that at least in Onykoland "reboot" usually means pulling the plug and waiting a few seconds. Simply turning the thing off and on is rarely sufficient.

It's important to remember the HDMI/HDCP has been from the beginning about intentionally making stuff NOT work as much as making it work.

Excellent comment and I agree 100%....but honestly had forgotten to think of that. :)

For anyone who uses Dark One skin in Foobar....I have a question. Or maybe it's a comment...

Please see my pic below. On the left, there are 2 columns of metadata information displayed. The first column is truncated. Which, I hate. How hard is it to widen the column so I can see it properly? Jan, you have often answered my Dark One questions...do you know?

For anyone who uses Dark One skin in Foobar....I have a question. Or maybe it's a comment...

Please see my pic below. On the left, there are 2 columns of metadata information displayed. The first column is truncated. Which, I hate. How hard is it to widen the column so I can see it properly? Jan, you have often answered my Dark One questions...do you know?

View attachment 39366
+1
Another excellent question by the "Wild-Eyed QQ Boy"; yikes that's one hell of an a...

Reactions: GOS

View attachment 39366

I love my DarkOne, I can usually find settings to tinker with, but the problem is, I'm too chicken to change anything because I'm afraid I'll mess something up and really be screwed! I also believe Spock:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?members/spock.10657/is also very good with the DarkOne. He's helped me out in the past (hope you don't mind Spock?)
Anyway I found a setting that could be it (but please verify with one of the experts!) It's a right click in the column to Splitter settings / PanelList within a Size field (mine is at the INF frame though), change at your own risk.

Back