Oh persons of electronic knowledge - need help identifying replacement caps

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandrix

Senior Surround Collector
QQ Supporter
I have an Onkyo TX-NR609 that gave me problems from it's HDMI board. I had it repaired under warranty, then a couple years later the problems were back. Eventually Onkly had a "trade in" program and I acquired a new 656 for a decent price and the serial number sticker from the 609.
Anyway, I would like to give a shot at repairing the HDMI board and I find that generally people replace a group of caps with upgraded ones and that very often fixes the problems.
My board has 5 caps that I believe are the correct ones, with the numbers "A4" "100" & "16v".
What I would like to find out is what would be an "upgraded" version of these capacitors since it's generally accepted that Onkyo often used inferior caps in their units? I can solder well enough I reckon and removing the old caps should be easy "rocking" them out.
Thanks for any help or especially a Digi-key number!

Not sure what the A4 indicates as that must be a manufacturers code, but I would suspect that 100 = Capacitance of 100uF, and 16v = Voltage Rating of 16V, do they have a + or - sign on them, if so they are Electrolytic so polarised. I am assuming that they are leaded capacitors not Surface Mount, you need to measure the distance between the leads to be able to get one to fit, and its diameter/height. They will be decoupling/reservoir capacitors on the Power Supply lines at a guess. Can you post a photo of them?

Well you didn't hear it from me, but apparently there is a BGA IC that gets flakey. Being a BGA, it gets reballed/replaced when factory rebuilt. Some have short term luck with reflow.

If recapping fixes it please report back!

Not sure what the A4 indicates as that must be a manufacturers code, but I would suspect that 100 = Capacitance of 100uF, and 16v = Voltage Rating of 16V, do they have a + or - sign on them, if so they are Electrolytic so polarised. I am assuming that they are leaded capacitors not Surface Mount, you need to measure the distance between the leads to be able to get one to fit, and its diameter/height. They will be decoupling/reservoir capacitors on the Power Supply lines at a guess. Can you post a photo of them?
Yes...give me a bit to get one online. They are black striped on one side to indicate polarity, 100uF and 16v was my take as well. Back soon.

Well you didn't hear it from me, but apparently there is a BGA IC that gets flakey. Being a BGA, it gets reballed/replaced when factory rebuilt. Some have short term luck with reflow.

If recapping fixes it please report back!
Yes I'm aware of the DSP chip/flow fix. However mine has no problem with sound per sae, but with HDMI switching. Since the cap replacement is fairly common fix for many of the Onkyo's then a few bucks and 20 minutes effort seems worth it,....unless of course someone knows it won't work for this model Onkyo.

dAr8IYw.jpg

They are Surface Mount Electrolytic Capacitors 100uF 16V. I'll have a look, Panasonic make highly reliable devices I've used in a lot of designs.

However, what exactly is the HDMI switching problem with the board, how does it show itself?

Because it is unlikely the capacitors are the root cause of the problem, they are used to smooth the supply voltage and to provide a reservoir of power if there is a lot of current drawn. Switching between HMDI sources should not produce large demands for current.

PS: What is their approximate diameter?
They appear to be almost 6mm.
To be honest with you, I don't now recall all the symptoms...only that they were the same as when the board was repaired/replaced. After I got the replacement Receiver I sort of forgot about the old one for a while until my old Sherwood I use at my pc started acting wacky (I now know it wasn't the Sherwood but an analog switch...it has no HDMI), and I decided to sub the old Onkyo for the Sherwood. But even this was back far enough (before breakfast!!) so naturally I can't remember exactly the symptoms.
It could well be that replacing these caps could be a waste of time, but it's mine to waste and surely the cost couldn't be much.
Appreciate your help!

Here's the basic procedure...although this is not the model I have. There was a discussion about it on the AVSForum a few years ago, IIRC, involving several brands however I don't have a link for that anymore. It was called something like "replacing the HDMI daughtercard" or some such.

DuncanS I got in touch with the guy that has the cap replacement tutorial on the Tube and he said basically you want caps rated 100-105* C, that due to the design some of these boards are sitting over the heat sinks and soaking up a lot of heat. Mine does have a fan above the card but I have yet to verify if it works. Anyway once I get a part number I will order the caps and give it a go.

On that board the capacitors they were changing were only 4V rated. The ones you want to change are 16V so quite a different design.

Anyway these Panasonic capacitors are 100uF at 16V, are Hi-Temp rated (so long life at 125degC) and can handle a 'reasonable' ripple current (so help to smooth a supply voltage), they are almost 8mm high though.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=PCE4924CT-ND

On that board the capacitors they were changing were only 4V rated. The ones you want to change are 16V so quite a different design.

Anyway these Panasonic capacitors are 100uF at 16V, are Hi-Temp rated (so long life at 125degC) and can handle a 'reasonable' ripple current (so help to smooth a supply voltage), they are almost 8mm high though.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=PCE4924CT-ND
Thank You, Sir. I shall get these little puppies and give it a go!

Back