DVD/DTS Poll Ohio Players - Honey [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of the Ohio Players - HONEY

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Dead on identical mix to the Q8. Good mix, not exactly discrete, nice surround feeling. I like it, just not my favorite.

I like this one, probably because it's their best album, and either very lush or very lively...either way, an '8' for me...

ED :)

It's a very strange disc. I bought it just because the dts section in shop had it (with Wings and sting and two or three country music dts discs).
The mix is very dense with mostly a polyphonic synthesizer sweeping around the listener, and similarly chorused and tremoloed rhodes piano tremeloing from speaker to speaker.

The style is very disco. Almost like very early Prince. But to be honest, I think Prince beats them all: his musicianship is way tighter than the Ohio Players.
Some cool songs ("Rller Coaster" sounds like a hit, probably was). A very short disc (ca. 35 minutes). And a nice cover artwork!

Have this one on Q8 and DTS. They are identical, except that the DTS doesn't require a book of matches to play withoput warbling! Seriously, it is a bit like early Prince, and, yes, Prince is tighter, but he was a baby when this stuff was being recorded in 74 or so. I was in High School wearing wide leg pants and puka shells and we really loved this one -- and the artwork. The mix is as in all Mercurys, which is interesting, but not very discrete; not quite there, so an 8.
Marc

It's nice to have this former Q8 mix in a full-fidelity edition, but I don't like the music or the mix as much as that of older brother Fire. Not all that discrete, with centered (all-channel) lead vocals, it's pleasing enough on tracks like minor hit Sweet Sticky Thing. The big hit, Love Rollercoaster? It blows. For whatever reason, the engineer left in an obnoxious and unecessary horn part, that repeats throughout like some sort of Abu Graib torture tape loop.
Compared with the great original stereo version on the Gold CD, it sounds lifeless and unpleasant.

A 6 for me.

I've had this for a couple years and only recently got around to listening to it. Anyway, I really like this it, and was thinking of rating it a 9 or 10; but based on the previous reviewers ratings I maybe need to hold off on an official vote seeing as how everyone else is thinking less.

That said, here are my impressions of the DTS disc of "Honey":

1. Very pleasant, warm overall sound (mastering?);
2. The rears don't seem overly aggressive with individual sounds, yet they definitely help to fill up the room with music (this surround style is one of my favorites);
3. The vocal mix is to my liking. On a couple of the songs, I put an ear up to the speakers and it seemed as though vocals were mostly spread across the front left/center/right. Not too hard on the center.

i think that the Red Hot chillie peppers took a lot of there funky-ness from this album as well as covering Rollercoaster of Love.
I like this a lot much better album than fire, The Old School quad mix is OK but the music makes up for that.

6. Perhaps I should have gone as high as 8. Love Rollercoaster and Fopp might be their best ever tracks. If all the tracks were that good, I'd rate it 11 for the music alone. Perhaps too much blow for the rest of the tunes to glow? I have the DTS CD and Q8. Not the most adventurous mix. I saw them several years ago at the Cubby Bear, across from Wrigley Field. It was a great show.

Why don't you ride? Uh-huh.

I love this and the "Fire" Quad!

I played this again the other night, all chilled out, feet up with a long drink and the highlights really are wonderful!

The disc sounds almost high-res lovely and the mix is very sympathetic to the music.

More, please!

It's a "9".

Ok follow-up to "Fire", but the album is very brief and comes up short in all three categories: The mix is less discrete and adventurous (but still an enjoyable surround experience), audio fidelity is oh-so-slightly worse (but still clear and dynamic), but where this one really falls short is on content... I like this band for the funk songs, and while there are two killer tunes here (Fopp and Love Roller Coaster), the rest of the album is mediocre (there are a couple of OK ballads, though). I give this a 7. Ideally, if you can get both albums together at a good price and rip the songs, you can put together one Foppin' killer funk album!

I played this album a LOT when I was kid. Probably haven’t played it once since 1978 or so. I forgot how much I like all these songs.

This sounds pretty nice as DTS CDs go. I like the quad mix. There’s sound decent discreet parts and a nice envelope-y feel throughout. Short but satisfying. A better album over all than “Fire” IMO.

I’ll give it an “8”

Good surround mix. My DTS discs have been good about presenting 5.1 without the bass sounding thin, or the mix sounding too foreign to what I was expecting, given my experience with the conventional stereo. The disc has an internal song labeling error, swapping "Love Rollercoaster" and "Let's Love".

Good surround mix. My DTS discs have been good about presenting 5.1 without the bass sounding thin, or the mix sounding too foreign to what I was expecting, given my experience with the conventional stereo. The disc has an internal song labeling error, swapping "Love Rollercoaster" and "Let's Love".

The Ohio Players chose to record and mix some of their albums at Paragon Recording Studios in Chicago because of how great the bass sounded there. They worked with longtime Styx producer/engineer Barry Mraz as their recording engineer. I play this one often.

So...the version I found was a standard jewel case. Now get this; it's a two disc set. One is a regular stereo cd and the other is the dts cd. There is nothing on the artwork that says, "cd/dts cd". Maybe the seller just put it together? Got it from big river. Has anyone else seen this configuration, or have it?

So...the version I found was a standard jewel case. Now get this; it's a two disc set. One is a regular stereo cd and the other is the dts cd. There is nothing on the artwork that says, "cd/dts cd". Maybe the seller just put it together? Got it from big river. Has anyone else seen this configuration, or have it?
Both OP titles were released first as standard jewel case and later with a dvd-a case, but none of them had a stereo cd going along. So, that was done by the seller, he probably had a dts cd alone lyin' around and placed it with the stereo copy.

Back