HiRez Poll O'Jays, The - SHIP AHOY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of O'Jays - SHIP AHOY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-4872460-1378079099-6853.jpeg.jpg

R-4872460-1378080187-8383.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
THE (all capitals) reason for me to get a SACD player, and THE disc i wanted to get anyway and that lead me to buy overseas, since *in theory* it was available in Europe but... never showed. Will buy any Phillysound mch sacd Sony will ever release, i love this music. It may be a suprise for USA people but Phillysound was *very* big in Europe, Italy included, even before the "disco" craze.
10/10 and i admit i'm ultra biased on that.

This is my personal favourite surround disc.
reading the liner notes suggest that sony used the quadraphonic tapes or remixed it according to the quadraphonic mix.Either way it's turned out really well.

For The Love Of Money blows me away everytime I hear it on this disc. I never heard the original quad version but I guess, according to the liner notes, I am kind of hearing it here (except now with a slight center and really nice bass). Ship Ahoy is another favorite track. Over all I give this one an 8

Bob Romano said:
For The Love Of Money blows me away everytime I hear it on this disc. I never heard the original quad version but I guess, according to the liner notes, I am kind of hearing it here (except now with a slight center and really nice bass). Ship Ahoy is another favorite track. Over all I give this one an 8

and for those that are unfamiliar with the sacd..."for the love of money" was also used as the opening theme music for Donald Trump's show "The Apprentice".....

Terrific disc. The original quad mix shines.
A 9.

It seems that all the Philly Int'l mixes I've heard are conspicuously excellent -- from Billy Paul to MFSB to this. Very discrete, dramatic, lively, faithful. Perhaps they all had the same engineer?

Tab's CDR of Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes "Black and Blue" is the best sounding Q8 I've ever heard. I would nominate "The Love I Lost" as one of the ten best pop quad mixes ever.

I wish I could force some of today's "star" surround mixers to listen to tracks like this before pinching a loaf like the Blue Oyster Cult SACD.

There's a copy of this title on SACD at a local music store, and I'm debating purchasing it, except for a one thing:

I don't (yet) have a SACD player.

That said, I have yet to find a SQ copy of this album, and it is one I'm dying to hear in Quad. (The disk is also less then $10 at the music store.)

I've heard that this disk was mixed from the original Quad master, (Same as the Isley Brother's "3+3" LP). After reading this thread though, there seems to be some uncertainty. Does anyone have both the SACD and the SQ vinyl for comparison?

eggplant said:
Terrific disc. The original quad mix shines.
A 9.

It seems that all the Philly Int'l mixes I've heard are conspicuously excellent -- from Billy Paul to MFSB to this. Very discrete, dramatic, lively, faithful. Perhaps they all had the same engineer?

I think MFSL needs to jump on releasing some of Billy Paul's work, and if they can make the step, do a hybrid and use the quad mixes that are available for those albums, especially War Of The Gods.

This is one of my favourite SACDs - I think out of all the repurposed quad SACDs that Sony put out, this one's the best. It's a shame they haven't put out more of the O'Jays quads on SACDs, they're all uniformly excellent.

Dave.

I now have an SACD player.

I also have this disk.

It's a 10, all the way.

This disk is an absolute necessity for anyone that's a fan of any kind of R&B on these forums.

Aside from being an astounding surround mix, the music on this one is spectacular. Easily one of the best Philly Soul albums ever made.

This disk is an absolute necessity for anyone that's a fan of any kind of R&B on these forums.

i've owned this for quite some time, but i just noticed i never voted or commented on it. as dylan says, for R&B fans it's a must-have. and if you're not, there's good chance it might make you one. this is among the top five favorites of my collection. even after many repeated listenings, the ambient surround sounds of the slave ship on the title track still send chills up my spine.

Being a recent acquisition, this becomes an instant surround reference disc. The surround mix is awesome! If we could vote more for the mix, this one would get a 15. Very good recording, great content, and did I mention that the mix was extremely cool? Easily a must have.

Dennis

Well, you guys have convinced me. If I could find a copy, I'd buy it. Been looking for a while now and it just doesn't seem to show up anywhere. Another example of the failure of the format. They could only sell every one they made.

K

After reading about it here I ordered it on amazon.ca through a seller called Caiman. Stay clear of this scammer!!! They informed me that (even though they had it listed) it was out of stock and could either wait for them to find another copy or get a refund. I wasn't in a hurry and informed them that I'll wait. So after a while when I contact them about the disc I get no reply. I do it through amazon and still no reply. I apply for a refund (after all it was 45 Canadians including shipping) and amazon tells me that after 60 days I have no right for a refund any more, plus there is no way to leave feedback after that time period either :mad:

Smooth Caiman, really smooth. Just tell customers to wait until the time is over and you can pocket the money without any consequences.

If anybody has a copy for sale, let me know. I have a Paypal account.

Smooth Caiman, really smooth. Just tell customers to wait until the time is over and you can pocket the money without any consequences.

A few of us are dealing with Caiman right now on some DVD-As and our 60 days haven't come yet. Similar situation though, claiming they have items in stock that never come. Looks like I'll learn from your experience, wait a little longer to see if a miracle happens, and then cancel before the 60 days are up!

Thanks for this information, you may have saved a few of us a lot of money. I'm sorry it had to happen to you though. I'm going to link to your post from another thread where we were discussing Caiman, if you don't mind.

Regarding O'Jays, I was too late on this disc it appears as well! Boy, you can't find this disc anywhere, even for mega bucks!

Thanks again,
Josh

One of the all-time best, along with the Isleys "3+3". If you can find it, nab it at any price.

I really enjoy the first track, "Put Your hands together". It's got a funky arrangement with the kicker drum in (iirc) Left front, with the Electric bass Right front. Really creates a neat groove. I've tried replicating that in a few of my remixes and I never have quite gotten the results that this song has. Love it. Boogie. :banana:

Hmmm I have this SACD Will give it another Full listen ;) I only paid 15 Bucks for it too at Best Buy, One of the last MC I got there b$ they got rid of the MC Section :(

Thnx for the heads up about Amazon if someone asks me to wait NO Deal. Sorry you got Scammed like that..

Back