OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread...I have a Realistic Modulaire-4 & Sanyo DXL5491, both 4 channel stereo receivers. Neither has a phono input with 4 jacks so I can't connect my quad turntables. Does a receiver need to say quadraphonic in order to have the 4 phono inputs?

Does your turntable have 4 outputs? If so, it sounds like it has a built in decoder or CD-4 Demodulator. If it has front and back outputs, it has a built in phono preamp (along with a decoder or demodulator) and sould be plugged into the receiver's discrete 4 channel input or into the 4 channel tape input. It does not need to go into the phono input. Trying to connect it to the phono input would probably be bad.

And Welcome!

As of Halloween, I actually own a Quad receiver, a Sansusie QRX-5500. It was given to me by a GF, who gave me 4 pieces of her late Dad's gear. It's being used as a QS decoder/synthesizer only on my main system.
sansui-qrx-5500.jpg
sansui-receiver-qrx5500-foto-bild-56182405.jpg

No receiver, whether stereo or quad, will have phono inputs for four separate channels. There are receivers with four phono inputs but that is for two separate, two channel inputs, not four discrete inputs.

The reason is that, if there are internal quad decoders, the decoding is all done in the receiver and the normal two channels from the turntable are fed into the receiver. If external decoders are used, you still just feed the two channels from a turntable into the receiver and, then, the two channels are fed out of the tape outputs of the receiver into the decoder and then back into the receiver from the decoder for the front channels and another amp (which could also be in the same receiver) for the back channels.

For CD-4, the two turntable outputs go directly to the demodulator and the four outputs of the demodulator go into the amps or receiver at line level for the front and back channels.

As Q8 said, it sounds like you may have a turntable with a built in demodulator (were there ever any made with built in decoders?) and that would explain the four outputs.

Doug

Thank you!
That may explain why the phono input doesn't work now when I try to connect it to my Sherwood stereo phono (without a built in pre-amp)...oh well, maybe I can add an after market phono preamp for playing LPs on the Sherwood.
Btw my quad turntable is a Panasonic IC CD-4 with 4 output cables: Front L&R and Rear L&R.
So I take it that those quad turntables without a built-in preamp would only have 2 output cables:L&R and would therefore connect to the 2 phono inputs. If this is true, how do 4 channels of music get reduced to two connections but the emerge out to four speakers in glorious Quad?

Quad receivers usually have decoders built in. These are used to synthesize Quad from stereo. Many have decoder(s) used specifically to decode SQ or QS encoded "matrix" Quad LP's. Decoding quality varies widely, especially with early SQ decoders, which do little to realize the Quad information on SQ encoded matrix records. Panasonic and JVC utilized their own "proprietary" decoders, so as not to pay royalties to their competitors, CBS, who developed SQ, and Sansui, who developed QS.

Your Panasonic turntable has a demodulator built in for CD-4 Quadradiscs. Some Quad receivers have this circuitry built-in, as well. CD-4 demodulators will only work for that format and do nothing to enhance stereo recordings. A special phono cartridge is required to play CD-4 Quadradiscs. This format is often referred to as "discrete" Quad LP. It functions in a similar technical way to an FM demodulator which is used to create stereo FM. Your Panasonic turntable came originally fitted with this.

Thanks Doug, So then all quad receivers have internal decoders, yes?

Thanks Linda...Then I guess its best to listen to CD4 discs on Panasonic...and SQ discs on CBS and QS discs on Sansui equipment, true?
If so, then guess it would stand to reason I should try to match SQ turntable with SQ receiver...and so on. Would you agree?

Quad receivers usually have decoders built in. These are used to synthesize Quad from stereo. Many have decoder(s) used specifically to decode SQ or QS encoded "matrix" Quad LP's. Decoding quality varies widely, especially with early SQ decoders, which do little to realize the Quad information on SQ encoded matrix records. Panasonic and JVC utilized their own "proprietary" decoders, so as not to pay royalties to their competitors, CBS, who developed SQ, and Sansui, who developed QS.

Your Panasonic turntable has a demodulator built in for CD-4 Quadradiscs. Some Quad receivers have this circuitry built-in, as well. CD-4 demodulators will only work for that format and do nothing to enhance stereo recordings. A special phono cartridge is required to play CD-4 Quadradiscs. This format is often referred to as "discrete" Quad LP. It functions in a similar technical way to an FM demodulator which is used to create stereo FM. Your Panasonic turntable came originally fitted with this.

No, Sansui would do the best on QS. CBS Masterworks and Sony's built-in SQ decoders were AWFUL. CD-4 demodulators have similar levels of performance.

My best recommendation is to buy a modern surround receiver with multi-channel analog inputs and add the decoder(s) and/or demodulator. You already have a demodulator in your Panasonic turntable.

Since the only special equipment SQ & QS matrix require is decoder(s), there is no special SQ or QS turntable. Every turntable works.

Thanks Linda...Then I guess its best to listen to CD4 discs on Panasonic...and SQ discs on CBS and QS discs on Sansui equipment, true?
If so, then guess it would stand to reason I should try to match SQ turntable with SQ receiver...and so on. Would you agree?

Here's my setup!

Front channels
frontchannels.jpg

Rear channels
rearchannels.jpg

System
system.jpg

Pioneer QX-4000 receiver, Samsung SACD player, Pioneer RT-707 reel-to-reel (2-channel), Sony turntable, iPod dock, and a home-made 6-position (overkill) input switcher.

This is driving a quad of Baby Advent II speakers.

The RT-707 and the QX-4000 were my late father's, and I built the entertainment center with them in mind. Everything is wall-mounted, and I can do jumping jacks without disturbing the turntable -- and I'm a BIG guy.

The American Flyer trains on the ceiling were also Dad's. I restored them and built a little ceiling loop for them :)

Charles.

And here's the bedroom system:

bedroom.jpg

The matrix board in this QX4000 needs repair - the rear channels pop and crackle extremely loudly in RM, making it unusable. In SQ it's listenable, but it will still pop and crackle. But 2-channel works great. This is sitting in the bedroom until I send it out for repair. Then it will take its place in the library/listening room, and I may sell the extra QX4000. (I want to keep dad's, as it has sentimental value)

And yes, I did put faux wood grain on the Samsung SACD player. It matches the walnut case on the QX, and looks pretty damn good if you ask me :)

Charles.

I like how you made the train layout. The tressle is a nice touch over the window. You have skills. Very nice set up

Thanks. I'm not quite finished with the train setup. I'm going to put some building and scenery cutouts against the wall (2D, there's no room for actual buildings). Here's a short video of the train in operation.

[video=youtube;6urZwdHtRjw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6urZwdHtRjw[/video]

As for skills... well, I wanted bookshelves, and I didn't want them to be the standard 15" deep shelves sold at every furniture store. I wanted floor to ceiling, and I wanted them to be just as deep as your average hardback, in order to keep as much living space in the room as possible, and not be imposing. These aren't really anything special, just regular construction grade pine 2x8's screwed and glued together, and then attached to the walls and painted.

Although, if I ever sell this place and the next owners want to demo the bookshelves, they're in for a rude awakening -- especially the fully floating shelves on the back wall. Those are supported by 5/8" thick lag bolts every other stud, and screwed into the wall on the studs inbetween. So they aren't coming off without a fight. Each of those floating shelves can support my own weight (about 244 lbs). The front (normal) bookshelves also support much of the weight of the stereo cabinet, so they're screwed to the wall every four to six inches along the sides, and at every stud for the top and bottom stringers.

Charles.

Thanks. I'm not quite finished with the train setup. I'm going to put some building and scenery cutouts against the wall (2D, there's no room for actual buildings). Here's a short video of the train in operation.

[video=youtube;6urZwdHtRjw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6urZwdHtRjw[/video]

As for skills... well, I wanted bookshelves, and I didn't want them to be the standard 15" deep shelves sold at every furniture store. I wanted floor to ceiling, and I wanted them to be just as deep as your average hardback, in order to keep as much living space in the room as possible, and not be imposing. These aren't really anything special, just regular construction grade pine 2x8's screwed and glued together, and then attached to the walls and painted.

Although, if I ever sell this place and the next owners want to demo the bookshelves, they're in for a rude awakening -- especially the fully floating shelves on the back wall. Those are supported by 5/8" thick lag bolts every other stud, and screwed into the wall on the studs inbetween. So they aren't coming off without a fight. Each of those floating shelves can support my own weight (about 244 lbs). The front (normal) bookshelves also support much of the weight of the stereo cabinet, so they're screwed to the wall every four to six inches along the sides, and at every stud for the top and bottom stringers.

Charles.
Your wecome Charles . A well thought out plan yes indeed. Good story also. I am a model train buff myself. Mostly lionel have 300 feet of O track and lots of rolling stock. My Cocker Spaniel learned how to grab a milkbone from the log car with out tipping it over while moving. Full speed was to fast but to see him try was funny . He would run from one end to the other trying to catch up to the treat. I back the speed down and he snatches the treat. If he tipped the car over the treat went back on the car untill he got it right . That was 7 years ago. He goes bonkers when ever he sees or hears a train so funny. It is so nice to be able to plan and build what you built. My wood shop IMG_4623.jpg currently making cutting boards . Good luck with your build Best Charlie

Yoohoo (raises hand), trains have always been my other life obsession too. I have the 1949 American Flyer set my father bought for my oldest brother when he was less than a year old :D and somehow survived my and my brothers' "skills" when we were children.

I also have my next older brother's HO scale stuff in which he lost interest and my main scale is N. I started with Lone Star Treble-O-Lectric OOO scale (9mm gauge) in 1962 and then with Atlas N scale in 1967 and have modeled in that scale ever since.

I currently have a 4' X 8' N scale layout under construction.

Charles, I love your around-the-ceiling layout. I actually considered doing that with N scale in my 30' X 16' living room/dining room area but I live in an apartment and thought the building owners might not appreciate it. :D

Charlie, your story about your Cocker Spaniel is hilarious. They are wonderful dogs.

Doug

Back