OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats swell Doug and thanks for your kind words.How about that another model railroader on the Quad board (super) . Having trains from your youth is a gratifying connection with your dad. When we were kids a train set, erector set and Gilbert chemestry set were a must have. I agree with you the Cocker is a great companion. He has been on two steam locomotives here in fl. IMG_4626.jpg Here he is sniffing this octopuss I caught 25 miles off shore on my boat . While he was checking it out the critter slithered up to the bow and back to the stern and him following it all the way around Funny . We let the poor creature go.He has seen many fish from the Gulf however its the octopuss that he dont know what to make of it. I have enjoyed your posts on this board ever since I joined Charlie

Just started with servicing them. Those Alcos were a $25 eBay find. Fixed a broken winding on one of the field coils, fit an electronic reverse unit and a digital horn, and loaded the engine (and dummy) down with weight so it could pull more cars without slipping the drivers. All that's left is cosmetic -- it needs a paint job and the dummy shell needs to be replaced, as it's missing a chunk. Then it's windows, steps, and the expensive truck side plates.

Charles.

Just started with servicing them. Those Alcos were a $25 eBay find. Fixed a broken winding on one of the field coils, fit an electronic reverse unit and a digital horn, and loaded the engine (and dummy) down with weight so it could pull more cars without slipping the drivers. All that's left is cosmetic -- it needs a paint job and the dummy shell needs to be replaced, as it's missing a chunk. Then it's windows, steps, and the expensive truck side plates.

Charles.

Charles:

Awesome man cave! High Fidelity music and electric trains sharing the same space is a great combination! I am a LIONEL guy (and a stream snob - love all that drive rod action) and have my father's pre-war trains and my post-war trains. I still have my ERECTOR sets and build bridges and cranes to incorporate into my layouts.

Perhaps we need a thread titled: "Other Hobbies". This would allow members to connect on more subjects. Just a thought.

Justin

My new quad setup:
Akai as1070-just purchased loving it over my technics sa6400x
JVC 4dd/5
Dual510 Pickering vsx3000 quad stylus
Sony tc366-4 RtR
4-Energy Pro22 Cons. still going strong and sounding amazing
The phono stage doesnt seem to work so I use the JVC demod.
Other Quad equipment I have:
Technics sa6400x
Technics sa5400xc
JVC 4mm-4600

My main system does Quad & modern surround. 10 pieces equal a Quad receiver AND THEN SOME!

It does have a receiver, but I only use its' QS decoder/synthesizer functions.

Power Amps are connected to the Preamp via Balanced Lines (XLR/microphone connectors), and 12 Volt Triggers, by which the Preamp automatically switches the Power Amps on/off.

The Denon AVR-3801 (7.1 x 110 W) Receiver, which runs my second system, can run self-contained, or as the Zone 2 output on the B&K, which can run 2 different sources simultaneously (Zone 1 internal & Zone 2 external.) Likewise, the Denon outputs its' Z2 into the B&K and can run Z1 & Z2.

B&K Reference 50 7.1 THX Ultra II Preamp:
1182231286.jpg

B&K Reference 4420 Power Amp (250 W x 2 ch):
1172084879.jpg

B&K Reference 4430 Power Amp (250 W x 3 ch):
2ke1f800df15.jpg

Sansui QRX-5500 (used for QS decoding/synthesizing ONLY):
QRX3500.jpg

Sony SQD-2020 Full-logic wavematching SQ/RM decoder:
p012i1.jpg

Technics SH-3433 Quad Oscilloscope:
technics_sh3433.jpg

Sylvania DQ-3700 CD-4 Demodulator (JVC 4DD-5):
4dd5-a.jpg

Ortofon MCA-76 Moving Coil Pre-pre amp:
ortofon2.jpg

Zektor HDS4.1 4 in, 1 out 6ch Analog/Digital Coax/Digital Optical Switch:
zektor.jpg

Russound QT-1 4 in, 1 out Quad Switcher/Patch Bay w/Equalizer and Noise Reduction Loops:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...uadraphonic-Patch-Bay&highlight=russound+qt-1

Second system:

Denon AVR-3801 7.1 x 100 W Receiver:
_vyrn_768Denon-AVR3801.jpg

Sony SQD-2070 Full-Logic SQ Decoder:
p029_1_01.jpg

Panasonic SE-405 CD-4 Demodulator:
PanasonicSE405CD4Demodulator1_2.JPG

Post #192 in this thread shows my fifth system, which is a Calibre 225 (2 x 40 W) stereo receiver, Marantz Quad adaptor/amplifier (2 X 20 W) w/RC-4 remote & SQA-2B Full-Logic SQ Decoder. It also has a B&K Reference 20 5.1 Preamp, which had been factory-modified to add 6ch analog in:
bkref20_face.jpg

Systems 3 (Onkyo) & 4 (Sony) only do modern surround.

Yes, there are some wonderful Quad receivers listed in this thread. Still, I believe that a modern high-end surround receiver, or better yet, surround separates, with Quad decoder(s) and a demodulator are truly the way to go!

Very nice indeed
My main system does Quad & modern surround. 10 pieces equal a Quad receiver AND THEN SOME!

It does have a receiver, but I only use its' QS decoder/synthesizer functions.

Power Amps are connected to the Preamp via Balanced Lines (XLR/microphone connectors), and 12 Volt Triggers, by which the Preamp automatically switches the Power Amps on/off.

The Denon AVR-3801 (7.1 x 110 W) Receiver, which runs my second system, can run self-contained, or as the Zone 2 output on the B&K, which can run 2 different sources simultaneously (Zone 1 internal & Zone 2 external.) Likewise, the Denon outputs its' Z2 into the B&K and can run Z1 & Z2.

B&K Reference 50 7.1 THX Ultra II Preamp:
View attachment 9318

B&K Reference 4420 Power Amp (250 W x 2 ch):
View attachment 9319

B&K Reference 4430 Power Amp (250 W x 3 ch):
View attachment 9320

Sansui QRX-5500 (used for QS decoding/synthesizing ONLY):
View attachment 9321

Sony SQD-2020 Full-logic wavematching SQ/RM decoder:
View attachment 9322

Technics SH-3433 Quad Oscilloscope:
View attachment 9323

Sylvania DQ-3700 CD-4 Demodulator (JVC 4DD-5):
View attachment 9324

Ortofon MCA-76 Moving Coil Pre-pre amp:
View attachment 9329

Zektor HDS4.1 4 in, 1 out 6ch Analog/Digital Coax/Digital Optical Switch:
View attachment 9325

Russound QT-1 4 in, 1 out Quad Switcher/Patch Bay w/Equalizer and Noise Reduction Loops:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...uadraphonic-Patch-Bay&highlight=russound+qt-1

Superscope_QA420_12.jpgI'm trying to figure out the controls on my superscope QA-420? The two settings that I am not 100% sure about are "DISCRETE" and "4 CH" - maybe you can help me out? I have a TD-48 8-track player (on its way in the mail) and I'm curious what setting a Q8 Eight Track would be played on? I'm assuming it is "DISCRETE"? But I don't know? Maybe you can help me? Thanks, Dave

I'm trying to figure out the controls on my superscope QA-420? The two settings that I am not 100% sure about are "DISCRETE" and "4 CH" - maybe you can help me out? I have a TD-48 8-track player (on its way in the mail) and I'm curious what setting a Q8 Eight Track would be played on? I'm assuming it is "DISCRETE"? But I don't know? Maybe you can help me? Thanks, Dave

Dave, the settings can get a little confusing on some receivers and might just take a little experimenting. Theoretically, yes, discrete should be for sources with four discrete channels of input, like a Q8 tape player or a quad reel. 4 CH is a bit more difficult to guess. It might be referring to CD-4 records, but typically it would be labeled as such. So, you might just have to confirm what that one is for by trial and error. Of course, if you can track down an owner's manual it would probably help out a lot. I recently purchased a Sansui QRX-9001 after using a Pioneer QX-949 for decades. The Pioneer makes complete logical sense to me in terms of it's settings. The Sansui on the other hand, has been a bit difficult to get used to. So, each receiver will have it's own little quirks on how things are labeled. Good luck with your new Q8.

Now that I think about it a little more, I think the 4 CH must be just to send a regular stereo source to the quad speakers. So an SQ LP goes to SQ, a Q8 8-track goes to discrete (and I think a quad RTR would too?), a stereo LP, tuner or cassette could go to 2 CH, ambiance or 4 CH. When I get it all setup, I will verify. Regards.

Now that I think about it a little more, I think the 4 CH must be just to send a regular stereo source to the quad speakers. So an SQ LP goes to SQ, a Q8 8-track goes to discrete (and I think a quad RTR would too?), a stereo LP, tuner or cassette could go to 2 CH, ambiance or 4 CH. When I get it all setup, I will verify. Regards.

Quite possible that 4 CH is for sending a two channel signal to 4 speakers. On my Pioneer that's done via the CD-4 position. In the case of stereo sources, it just creates a duplicate stereo feed in the rear channels. And yes, discrete would be for either your Q8 deck, your Quad reel.

I'm commenting late on this but, with the Superscope, the "4 CH" on the MODE switch just refers to that portion of the switch. The knob indicator doesn't actually turn all the way over to there, does it? Note the line going from where it says "4 CH" to the two options, "DECODER" and "DISCRETE". When you select "DECODER", you can then select between "SQ" and "AMBIANCE" with the DECODER switch. When you select "DISCRETE", the four inputs for a Q8 or 4 channel RTR (or any other 4 channel device, for that matter) are selected.

If you select "2 CH", the unit becomes just like a regular 2 channel receiver, usually just outputing to two front speakers but sometimes they are made to output double stereo to all four speakers. If the back speakers go silent when you switch to "2 CH", you know what yours does.

Doug

I will have to look and see if the switch goes to that position. I just set the Superscope for photographic purposes. I dont think I have ever even hooked it up with 4 speakers. Thanks for the information.

aasansuie6600DSC04263.jpg
Sansui QRX-5500 my first time opening it up and to apply power and see what happens. I had one light out and the dc offsets were below 50mv. I'll see what it sounds like next and change the bulbs.
aasansuie6600DSC04250.jpg

Hi, everyone!!!! My name is Dimitri. I have got PIONEER QX8000 and yet I am going to purchase PIONEER QX949. I WONDER, DOES ANYBODY OF YOU KNOW: if it is possible to adjust a pre-amp to Q949 (if YES - then through what sockets???). I want my Q8000 to serve as a pre-amp (it has such a function as far as I know)))) THank you all in advance!

Hello there,

Can someone please explain if a Lafayette LA-524 will work to make my SQ records sound amazing.

I have a pioneer qx949, and I play my cd-4 albums throug the 4channel tape plugs so they are nice and discrete.

But if I pick up a Lafayette LA-524 will that give me some solid SQ sound. everyone thinks the 949 sq decoder blows.. and... it pretty much does. So, I Dark Side and Wish you were here in SQ, but cannot enjoy them just yet.

Please and thanks.

Back