OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have, many years ago, a Pioneer QX-949a. I miss that baby. Got rid of it a long time ago. Now, I'm back into the quad thing and picked up a Sansui QRX-7001. The only "complaint" I have with the Sansui is that if I hook a stereo device, like a CD player, into the AUX input, you can't run it through the decoder. The only function that works is the discreet output so it's just double stereo. ☹️

I've got a midline Denon, 4 or 5 years old, that does a great job with 5.1 and has an excellent fakey 5.1 setting for stereo recordings (it's labeled a game selection). It isolates vocals to the center speaker and distributes the rest to the other speakers and subwoofer. I can control the center speaker using the dialog level. The other speakers can also be adjusted. I rarely listen to the direct stereo setting.

My system started out in 1975 and now has the following equipment:

Pioneer QA-800 integrated amp
2) SAE 2200 power amp
4) JBL L100 speakers
Involve 4 channel decoder
Marantz CD-4 demodulator
Technics SL-1500 DD turntable, Audio Technica AT12S quad cartridge
Teac A-3340S 4 channel reel deck
Sony TC-277-4 4 channel reel deck
Tascam DX-4D DBX type I noise reduction
2) DBX 3BX Series II 3 band dynamic range enhancer
2) DBX SNR-1 sliding frequency noise reduction
Technics SL-MC400 100+1 CD changer
Pioneer DV-578A SACD
Akai GXC-730D auto reverse recording cassette deck
Technics SL-235 BD stacking turntable, Shure V15 Type II cartridge
Sony XDR-F1HD HD AM/FM tuner
Panasonic SH-3433 Quad Audio Scope
2020 01 19.JPG

I also have the Sansui QSE-5B QS quad encoder and the Involve quad encoder in my music studio

Right now I have a Sansui QRX-7001 and a Marantz 4270 with the SQA-2B and CD-400. Both are fully functional with minor exceptions; the Sansui doesn't decode CD-4 particularly well and needs a few light bulbs replaced; the Marantz has been an ongoing project and while it now functions 100% the tuner shows about 1 MHz higher than the station it's actually receiving.

I started in 1972 with the following components:

- Collaro TSC-640 Conquest turntable-changer
- PE-2038B turntable-changer
- Lenco L-78 turntable
- UQ-PA4 phono preamp.
- Dynaco PAT-4 preamp
- Realistic TR-90 4-track stereo reel
- Concord F-120 cassette changer
- Dynaco Stereo 35 power amp
- Uniquad UQ-1 speaker matrix decoder
- Four Wald 20 speakers
- Koss 44 headphones
- Bone Fone (modified for surround)

My current system has:

- Collaro TSC-640 Conquest turntable-changer
- PE-2038B turntable-changer
- Lenco L-78 turntable
- UQ-PA4 phono preamp.
- Two Dynaco PAT-4 preamps
- Realistic Parametric Equalizer
- UQ DJ-3 DJ selector/mixer
- Sherwood RD-6106 surround receiver
- Metrotec SDW-Q decoder
- Uniquad SSC-10 surround selector
- Two Realistic SA-10 stereo power amps.
- Four Nubian 345 monitor speakers
- Four Peitone P-1 speakers
- Koss 44 headphones
- Bone Fone (modified for surround)

Not interested in new formats.
Up until about a year and a half ago, I would have agreed with you. But when I saw just how many things that I would have loved to have heard in quad/multichannel were now available, but not on vinyl or Q8 tape, I reconsidered. One Oppo player that pretty much decodes anything, connected to my vintage receiver and I can now listen to Elton John's Captain Fantastic, ELP's Brain Salad Surgery, Fleetwood Mac 's Rumours and Marvin Gaye's Collection in stunning 4 channel. I can also get those Q8 only releases on disc. (I didn't collect 8 tracks...and lost out on many quads because of it.) BTO, McCartney and Wings, Moody Blues. And now that I'm starting to experiment with classical, multichannel of course, no more clicks and pops to deal with on a record. Add those fantastic Dutton Vocalion multichannel releases to the mix, some two-fers and all at a reasonable price, and it was a no brainer.

Wow?
I can't imagine being without all my classic quad recordings.
OTOH I can't imagine being without all my modern 5.1 - Atmos files.
You're sacrificing so much?
YMMV
That was a comment to answer the question of where all of the classic quadraphonic listeners were.

I do not have any modern 5.1 because I have nothing to play them on and no money to buy either. If I buy anything, it will be a Surround Master.

a Sansui QRX-7001. The only "complaint" I have with the Sansui is that if I hook a stereo device, like a CD player, into the AUX input, you can't run it through the decoder. The only function that works is the discreet output so it's just double stereo. ☹️
Can anyone confirm that the QRX-9001 also has this limitation?
And would this limitation also apply to the front channel TAPE inputs on a QRX-9001 and QRX-7001?

Can anyone confirm that the QRX-9001 also has this limitation?
And would this limitation also apply to the front channel TAPE inputs on a QRX-9001 and QRX-7001?
I now own the 9001 and here's what it does. The stereo CD, cassette or any other source will only play out of the front speakers in the discrete mode. You must put it in a matrix mode to have it play in all 4 speakers.

Back