DVD/DTS Poll Oldfield, Mike - RETURN TO OMMADAWN [DTS/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD-V of Mike Oldfield - RETURN TO OMMADAWN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 release from Mike Oldfield entitled "Return to Ommadawn", a sequel to his 1970s album "Ommadawn".
(Please note the 5.1 surround DVD is a DVD-V disc, not a DVD-A/V disc as erroneously labeled on the packaging...) :rolleyes:

(n) :) (y)

R-9679656-1486829702-2878.jpeg.jpg

R-9679656-1486829707-8867.jpeg.jpg

So I'm on an Oldfield binge today. (RT made me do it! LOL.)

The experience of listening to this vs. listening to Five Mils Out is significantly different as I was intimately familiar with the original 2.0 mix of the latter for more than three decades before it was mixed into 5.1. With this album, my first (and most subsequent) listens have been in surround so I have no bias towards an original stereo mix. Having said that though, I have to say that it's hard to believe that the guy who did the 5.1 mix of Five Miles Out was the same person who mixed this. While the former has a mix that is often clumsy and awkward, and has a more subtle use of the rears, this album has a much more consistent and fluid mix. Very active use of the rears without doing anything that anyone might accuse of being gimmicky. Musically it's quite enjoyable. My only complaint would be some of the vocal samples from its 1975 namesake that feel a bit cheesy to me. It has a nice full sound. I guess I have to knock a point off for it not being available in a lossless format. I suppose I can't also give the music full marks as that would imply that it is the equal of Oldfield's best work. It's very enjoyable and a solid piece of work, but for my money I can't put it on the same level as Incantations. So between it being only lossless and not his best work, I'll rate it an 8.5. Since I really enjoyed it, I'll round it up to a 9.

OK. Enough Oldfield. Time for the Game of Thrones season finale!

Great mix, nice sound and I prefer it to the original Ommadawn. The 1975 "Hey and away we go!" sample is a bit jarring for me, but I like the album and the surround mix is superb. Mike Oldfield really gets 5.1.

I was more than a little apprehensive when news of the sequel to Ommadawn was first announced. How would it sound compared to the original and for me, how could Mike get anywhere near or even improve on what is my fav MO long player? I have to say that on first play (180g vinyl) I was disappointed. But after several additional plays, it began to grow on me. Perhaps close comparison to the original was encouraging my initial negativity towards it? Perhaps Mike should have called it something else, rather than linking it a recording that for me was almost perfect? Who knows...

The one thing I did note from the 2ch versions was that this was the the most stripped down and basic Oldfield composition in his entire catalogue. The complicated overdub frenzy we'd become accustomed to with his more complex works was very much missing on this release. However, in my opinion, the 5.1 mix benefits from this, with instrument separation being clear and beautifully defined. I would go as far as to say that the 5.1 mix is better than the CD and 24/96 flac and thus far, its the best 5.1 MO mix. Its so much more engaging and enjoyable in the multi channel format and for that alone it gets a 9/10... :D

I really love this album. Everything done right in my opinion! Music, mix and sound quality are wonderful. I often play this back-to-back with the Sanctuary albums and they just flow together perfectly. I also think it holds up to the 70s MO albums quite well. So, heck, 9/10 for me.

Agree, this one gets repeated listening and I prefer it to the original LP of the same name. I find it more memorably melodic than most of his earlier stuff...granted I only know the quad albums....but, someone said just the opposite when this was released. Nice guitar line son this and the music builds and engages you, and the 5.1 is most excellently employed.

It's a 9/10 from me, would have been a 10/10 had it actually been DVD-Audio. Almost two years since release and I'm still excited to listen to both parts, material is excellent, lovely, dynamic mastering, a great addition to the Part One/etc canon.

This is Mike's finest 5.1 mix and I hope he does TBII, Distant Earth, etc., with equal success.

I have never listened to Voyager before and I just noticed how similar one of the motifs in the title track is to the opening motif in Return Part 1.

Last edited:
a generous 7 from me
surround mix is excellent, but I find the music lukewarm and just not engaging. I remember finding the original Ommadawn inspired, unlike this one..

Back