HiRez Poll Oldfield, Mike - TUBULAR BELLS [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Mike Oldfield - TUBULAR BELLS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I agree, but was there enough room on the disc to include it? That could be why it wasn't part of this release. The 2003 version is worth seeking out on the DVD-A.
There's more than enough room on the Blu-ray. I was just looking at the ISO image today and it's only 13GB. A single layer Blu-ray can hold 25GB

I bought this a few months ago. It finally came, I listened to it, and decided that actually, I have in the intervening years, gone off it. So I promptly sold it on (and as I detest the price-gougers as much as the next person, I sold it for about the same price as I had bought it for.)

Aha! I believe I spotted an error, and possibly two, on Part 2 of the Quad mix on the album. The front left channel appears to be 3,998 (or so) samples too early (at 96kHz; equating to about 0.04 seconds). It's long enough to make the shared elements between the front channels sound like different overdubs.

Also, I suspect the loudness after 21:48 is incorrect. The dialogue is oddly loud in the front left channel compared to the rest (the back channels have it mixed at identical loudness), and oddly quiet in the front right channel (even quieter than the back channels). If you take the audio after 24:48 in the front channels, make the front left channel 3dB quieter and the front right channel 3dB louder, the dialogue becomes present in the center of the surround sound field.

Below is a portion of that dialogue section, where you can see both the issues. And yes, I believe the entirety of the front left channel during this song is out of sync, given my tests with a correlometer.
View attachment 92290

I showed these edits of mine to @Owen Smith and they said it fixed all their issues with the mix that they noted here: HiRez Poll - Oldfield, Mike - TUBULAR BELLS [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

The recording is definitely the weakest part of TB 2003, but the 5.1 is exceptional. Some might call it gimmicky, but it makes fantastic use of the medium
I have the 2003 DVD-A re-recording and never liked it at all, I believe “gimmicky” is the right word - a really bad use of surround with instruments circling around, weird pans - and worst of all John Cleese. The original recording and the new Atmos mix is much, much better…I give the new release a clear 10, outstanding…

I can also suggest reading this old review of the 2003 re- recording: Mike Oldfield - ‘Tubular Bells 2003’ A DVD-Audio review by Stuart M. Robinson - HighFidelityReview - Hi-Fi systems, DVD-Audio and SACD reviews

Last edited:
View attachment 92299

My two copies of Tubular Bells have arrived. (Twobular Bells?). Yeah, that's right, two copies. Hey, I don't have a problem! :cool:

Anyway, just having listened to the new Atmos downmixed to 5.1, I gotta say it sounds wonderful. I've heard lots of Atmos mixes that don't downmix to 5.1 very well, but this one does just fine. If you had told me that it was a dedicated 5.1 mix I would have believed it. Kosten respects the original stereo mix that everyone has known and loved for fifty years but manages to present it in a fully discreet and immersive surround field. Can't wait to get over to a friend's place who has a full Atmos setup to hear what it sounds like in full blown Atmos. Having said that, this is an album that I've listened to a gazillion times since I first heard it circa 1980. And I did notice two places where the balance wasn't quite right. About 7:45 into part one, there is a melodic element that seems to be completely missing. And during part two's caveman heavy rock section, the lead guitars don't scream out as loudly as they do in the original stereo. Maybe these bits are just because I am not set up for full Atmos. Anyway, this was a thoroughly enjoyable listen. Will check out the other layers in the coming days.

Hard to believe that Mike was only nineteen years old when he recorded it. I was very fortunate to see Mike play the whole thing live in 1982. Mike did a good bit of touring in Europe, but he only ever performed nine concerts in the USA in his entire career. I've been to somewhere around eight hundred concerts in my lifetime so naturally there are plenty that I don't particularly remember. But that evening in Boston on 4/17/82 still sticks out in my mind. The performances of both halves of the album brought the house down. Plus he also played the first side of Ommadawn and almost all of Five Miles Out. One helluva show.

Bring on the SDE Hergest Ridge 50th anniversary blu-ray in 2024!
I enjoyed your review.

It's funny how time can change your perspective. Working at a University radio station back in the seventies, I pulled this LP from the shelf and gave it a spin. Everyone enjoyed the part associated with The Exorcist, but the rest of the album, to me, was an odd duck. I am very happy I purchased this HFPA. It is thrilling as well as entertaining. It will put your speakers and listening room to the test. One bass frequency rattled my CD collection on the shelf! WOW!

Attachments

• IMG-4373.jpg
    IMG-4373.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
I bought this for the quad version, which is excellent. My only complaint would be, as someone else said that it focuses on the front and then the back alternately in an attempt to get the best out of the original SQ encoding/decoding process,

The 5.1 was great as well, even more immersive than the quad, My only complaint is it no longer sounds like the "Tubular Bells" that I remember. Interesting to read the liner notes, much of "the sound" of the original was done with the mixing process. David Kosten did his best to try to emulate but IMHO didn't quite hit it, to me it sounds like a different recording altogether.

One of my first exposures to CD was listening to "Tubular Bells". The music is iconic, at least part one, part two less so. On the downside is it becomes rather repetitive. It's not something that I would listen to very often.

Back