HiRez Poll Oldfield, Mike - TUBULAR BELLS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Mike Oldfield - TUBULAR BELLS

• Total voters
Tubular Bells on Boxed is the identical mix to the SACD. So if you have both you can use it for matrix decode to 4.0 comparisons.
Sadly I haven't. By the time I realised it had come out on CD it had vanished and the prices on Discogs seemed too high. Now I'd only buy it to get what was on LP4 in the set on CD.

Sadly I haven't. By the time I realised it had come out on CD it had vanished and the prices on Discogs seemed too high. Now I'd only buy it to get what was on LP4 in the set on CD.
Using the patented Life in Surround OOP shopping method [ @Clement ], I eventually found the TB SACD at a very reasonable price. No more than $30, I think?
It took a long time though.

Boxed came out in 1976. So, was there one or more true quad mixes *before* that, and if so how did it/they differ from the Boxed/SACD mix?

On the original quad mix, the beginning fades in. Both the British SQ and American CD-4 versions have this. Does that mean the SQ is also an upmix? The mixes sound alike to me. Where did you hear the CD-4 is an upmix?
I have the British stand alone SQ - no model airplane.

Using the patented Life in Surround OOP shopping method [ @Clement ], I eventually found the TB SACD at a very reasonable price. No more than $30, I think?
It took a long time though.
I also got a copy for $30 (last year), but I did have to pay the shipping cost from Canada. This is one of those discs I just wanted to have. Ripped files on HDD for OOP discs are fine when nothing else is avail, but this one is beautiful to behold. 5.1 can be absolutely just as great and sometimes better than quad. But when they nail quad and really get it right, I'm 100% fine with it. And this is a special one.

I really hope we get some more quad goodies of top-shelf titles before the door slams shut.

One of my top 10 faves of all time. I had the DTS conversion first and when I finally got the SACD WOW!! Sounds great and fun to listen to even at 47 minutes ( and I sually listen all the way through). A really beautiful transfer of the orignal quad to SACD. (Now where is Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn?)
There are DVD's of both "Ommadawn" and "Hergest Ridge" out there, but I think both are OOP, and very expensive, if you can find them. Both are DTS and DD.

I also got a copy for $30 (last year), but I did have to pay the shipping cost from Canada. This is one of those discs I just wanted to have. Ripped files on HDD for OOP discs are fine when nothing else is avail, but this one is beautiful to behold. 5.1 can be absolutely just as great and sometimes better than quad. But when they nail quad and really get it right, I'm 100% fine with it. And this is a special one.

I really hope we get some more quad goodies of top-shelf titles before the door slams shut.

There;s one for sale right now on Discogs for $35 + $5 shipping.

Really, and has a QQ poll too.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/oldfield-mike-ommadawn-dd-dvd-2cd.13111/

Also, it's DD only, no DTS.

There;s one for sale right now on Discogs for $35 + $5 shipping.

I guess someone has snapped that one up, as this is all I see. $35 and $12 shipping, still not terrible.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel, Album, Quad, RE, RM, S)
Media Condition: Near Mint (NM or M-)
Sleeve Condition: Very Good Plus (VG+)

From personal collection. Disc and artwork in excellent condition.
BeeJayDeeJay
100.0%, 48 ratings
Ships From:Hungary

$35.00
+$12.00 shipping
$47.00 total

I generally don't like to post negative comments, but I freakin' LOVE Mike Oldfield, and his 2010 5.1 mixes of "Hergest Ridge" and "Ommadawn" are.....are....... not to my liking. Actually I loathe them.
I must have lost interest in them and forgotten of their existence, and this is due to the recreation of the album "Ommadawn" with modern overdubs to the point where it is not an old quad, not a new mix of an old album, but a new album using parts from the old album.

A true Frankenstein we have here I think. Some folks have no problem with that, and it's fine.

Back