HiRez Poll Oldfield, Mike - TUBULAR BELLS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Mike Oldfield - TUBULAR BELLS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
The non-2003 version, available in the US as an import.

R-614460-1360247185-7486.jpeg.jpg

R-614460-1360247224-9804.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like this one. Strangely enough, i didn't care too much for the regular old stereo version, but am very glad i bought the surround SACD. I give it a 10, must have. The surround mix is fantastic!!!

10/10. Will love to see other reissues like this one...

I can't hear any difference between the stereo DSD and PCM tracks. But the surround DSD is quite fun. Only the Piltdown Man could have been a bit louder. But overall it's a lovely disc. I've always preferred the "Boxed" remix, which as far as I'm concert is the surround version here.

One of my top 10 faves of all time. I had the DTS conversion first and when I finally got the SACD WOW!! Sounds great and fun to listen to even at 47 minutes ( and I sually listen all the way through). A really beautiful transfer of the orignal quad to SACD. (Now where is Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn?)

Abso-bloody-lutley wonderful. Probably a more accurate representation of the original recording that all the other remasters as some baboon suceeded in erasing some parts of the stereo masters; and this includes some elements that weren't in the stereo-releases anyway.
Wonderful, inventive mix that adds to the atmosphere, beautiful mastering from the tapes in DSD, hear-through quality...
Buy it. Forget the 2003 DVD-A that lacks any semblence of atmosphere or wonder. This is the one to have.

Why are some polls "Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected" types, and the other polls aren't? I like the "Be advised" ones better.

Hey, bud it's my job to hijack threads here, not yours(ask Mr. Urban, he'll tell ya! ;) )

To answer your question...all up to the threadstarter. Depending on the poll, I'll either use that option--where you click on any number to see the names of all who have voted--or, not use the option if I feel it may be a situation(say, an election poll)where whether or not you wish your vote to be known should rest with the individual.

It's also possible someone forgot....:D

ED:)

I just want to add that the mastering to SACD involved -3 to -5dB lowering the rear channels. Phil Newell mentioned this in a magazine. I raise my rear speakers at +3 when listening to it. Then it sounds OK, and the Caveman :eek: sounds cool then too! :)

Still haven't figured this guy out - is he seriously pretentious or pretentiously serious?

Still, it's a hoot and I love listening - I gave it a 9. Some of the theme developments went on too long with too few ideas. I find myself thinking " I could have spent my time with Beethoven."

JonUrban said:
The non-2003 version, available in the US as an import.

Actually it was released in SACD Surround as a regular catalog item in the U.S. In addition to being an import.

In terms of sonics, even though this was the first major label Surround Sound SACD it holds up quite well even today. An excellent remastering job. Much better sonically than the various Quad editions of the '70s.

I heard TB 2003 first.

I like this disc, but not nearly as much as the 2003 performance. The newer version has much better fidelity and the mix is quite a bit more adventurous. There are also some parts of this original version that are a little grating that pop up here and there.

Some music represents a place in time and cannot be recreated. This music is closer to classical, to me, in that this doesn't apply. Nothing about this piece screams 1973, or feels like it belongs only to that time - therefore I see no reason that a later performance of the piece shouldn't be as acceptable as the original. And, in this case outshine the original.

I know most everyone will disagree with me, but there you go. And wouldn't it be a dull world if we all agreed :D

Yes I do enjoy the SACD version of the quad mix but seem to prefer the 2003 version.
FWIW there appears to be a new DVD-A version out of the 1973 version with additional video footage - anyone know anymore?
Regards
Bill

I ordered this recently, based entirely on the recommendations in this thread. My only prior exposure to this album was, of course, its usage in "The Exorcist." At any rate, I received it yesterday and while I haven't had a chance to listen to the entire thing yet, I did sample the first 10 minutes or so... wow, pretty amazing stuff. VERY active and engaging mix. I can see I'm going to have some fun with this! Thanks, guys, again for pointing me towards something I might have otherwise overlooked!

I finaly broke down and bought this version too.
It's of historic value to hear the original version in quad and in such good quality. As TB 2003 was the first surround version I heard, this mix was disapointing a bit at first as it is not so adventurous. After giving it another chance, at higher volume, I must say that it's not bad but I like the 2003 mix a little better.
The (drunk?) Vivian Stanshall, at the end, is a rarity but not one I'd like to hear every time :)

I got a copy today...

Wow.

I've never heard it like this before.

Oh. Oh. The read count on this thread is 1,666.

Back