OLED TV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clint you have passive 3D now and it looks great.
Passive 3D glasses are very lightweight. I dont see the big deal about them. I already wear glasses for driving and watching movies. It's nothing to wear the additional pair of glasses.
I think its a media driven argument made to get people to buy 4K tvs and movies and eliminate a competing format. Maybe.

Now I agree about the heavier motorized active glasses.
When I was shopping for TVs I never liked the active 3D sets the picture was always too dark. Passive 3D looked so much better. I think if the Avatar sequels had come out when they were supposed to.. will they ever....they might have saved it

I have an early sony 4K tv that does passive 3D and I prefer good 3D over a 4k version. Granted my set does not do HDR or Dolby vision.but you get full HD with 3D.

Unbelievable that they purposely kept 3D out of 4K specs very easy to have designed it in
Its a big middle finger to the consumer.

Is there a paralell with quad history here?

Those active rechargeable 3D glasses which came with my Panny Plasma 3D set were horrific.....never even properly holding their charges and the 3D image was DARK, DARK, DARK. Also, scant public acceptance of 3D was another determining factor coupled with poor sales of 3D movies which further impeded its future and the final nail was UHD4K's ommission of 3D from its platform.

I am also amazed how many people either became nauseous/dizzy from watching 3D movies and those with peripheral vision loss had similar issues with 3D.

Until the powers that be can come out with glassless 3D [like holographic projection], doubtful it will ever make a comeback in the near future.

I've been trying to buy up as many 3D movies as I can ...... some, admittedly not my cup o' tea ...... and while prices have certainly come down there are still a few which have only increased in both price and collectability value.

Last edited:
I have recently bought an LG OLED55CX5LB, and so far I’m very happy with it, but I find I’m constantly fiddling with the picture settings and I haven’t yet found a sweet spot that I’m happy with. Each source seems different (Netflix / Amazon / broadcast TV) and inconsistent.

I’m coming from a Panasonic plasma, and that also took a little while to arrive at settings I was comfortable with, but once done I didn’t touch it again for the 8 years that it served me.

The best results are with Dolby Vision sources. That seems fine with the out-of-the-box settings. But everything else seems to need tweaking.

Also, the settings themselves (brightness, contrast, etc) seem to behave differently on OLED from what I am used to on CRT or plasma. Plus there are lots of additional settings to grapple with.

What I’m looking for is a setup guide that will take me through the right steps for OLED, which are clearly different from what I am used to. I haven’t found anything yet... does anyone know of a source?

...the addition of 3D only cost the manufacturers a few dollars more.
Where did you get that figure? 3D is yet another complexity in increasingly complex TVs. It requires a large investment in time when designing TVs, and was probably the source of a fair amount of extra customer service calls... which can get expensive.

I'm sure the UHD Blu-ray people seriously considered 3D in the specs, and it just didn't make sense to support a complex technology if not enough people cared. The manufacturers involved had probably already stopped planning 3D in their upcoming TVs, based on their market research.

I'd say jefe1 called it. 3D is very much analogous to the disinterest in surround sound of most record companies. We're a little niche of freaks.

I love James Cameron, but he lives in an ivory tower. His push for 3D really wasted a lot of people's money in the movie business, particularly struggling theaters who had to invest huge. It's also bad for smaller movie productions when the cost of blockbuster movies suddenly rises sharply, in support of a radically new technology.

Additionally, 3D helped pound the nails in the coffin of real film projectors. DLP Digital Cinema projectors were jammed down everyone's throats in the early part of last decade, which ended my desire to ever to go out for a movie. Why pay all that money at a theater to see incredibly washed out blacks, when almost anyone can get a way better picture at home?

I love OLED technology. I was very aware of it before it landed, and was waiting for years for the first TVs to be released.
But, OLED is still not quite there yet.
while it boasts perfect blacks - it still cannot produce a bright enough picture.
They still need to figure out how to get more nits out of their Screens.
(and, dammit - every single OLED tv I have used has auto dimming that CANNOT be turned off. So when you watch a dark scene with subtitles - the screen dims every time a white subtitle comes up.)
Until they get the horsepower for a brighter image, I still have to pass.
my Sony Z9D LED is a blowtorch - and I will take the Pepsi challenge on its blacks against any OLED tv!
(and since it is also 4K *and* 3D - I can see 3D films with 1080p in both eyes, and with the great brightness of the Z - 3D films are finally as bright as they need to be).

OLED will be great - when it 100% realized. It just isn’t there yet.

Clint you have passive 3D now and it looks great.
Passive 3D glasses are very lightweight. I dont see the big deal about them. I already wear glasses for driving and watching movies. It's nothing to wear the additional pair of glasses.
I think its a media driven argument made to get people to buy 4K tvs and movies and eliminate a competing format. Maybe.

Now I agree about the heavier motorized active glasses.
When I was shopping for TVs I never liked the active 3D sets the picture was always too dark. Passive 3D looked so much better. I think if the Avatar sequels had come out when they were supposed to.. will they ever....they might have saved it

I have an early sony 4K tv that does passive 3D and I prefer good 3D over a 4k version. Granted my set does not do HDR or Dolby vision.but you get full HD with 3D.

Unbelievable that they purposely kept 3D out of 4K specs very easy to have designed it in
Its a big middle finger to the consumer.

The point I was trying to make was one of timing...when the "big push" on 3D was made...they weren't ready to really showcase the technology...and you rarely get a "second chance" to make a good impression when it comes to technology...plasma sets with 1080p were the best "mainstream" option they had(projectors weren't mainstream)and that wasn't enough to showcase passive 3D...they had great support from the studios and even broadcasters like ESPN....which had a dedicated station that wasn't even an extra cost option at the time...I was excited when I first saw 3D...even with the clunky glasses....but it became just a novelty pretty quickly...if that 3D premiere was now..with 4K OLED displays....things might have gone differently

I switched to OLED at the beginning of the year (LG C9 55"). As a gamer, I was concerned about burn-in, but with the latest models the tech and protection has advanced so far that burn-in, with proper care, has become a thing of the past. Hopefully.

Excellent input lag, deep black levels, and eye-popping colors, especially HDR, I can't see going back to any other television tech. I'm thrilled every time I turn the TV on. The only downside is 24frame motion can be stuttery due to the super-fast pixel refresh rate.

I have an LG OLED65E6P. Burn in can and will happen at some point unless all you do is watch dvd/blu's on it. It won't happen quickly. My set has pretty bad burn in. I use mine not only as my TV but it's also my computer monitor for my HTPC. Currently just over 15.5k hrs and guessing it was around 10k+ hrs when I first noticed the burn in. So depending on usage, you may not see burn in until you're ready for the next upgrade.

I've read where LG is doing screen swaps for burn in but not announcing it, and it's a one time deal. I'll look into this myself soon. Contacting them directly thru social media or email seems to be the most successful method. Master OLED image retention/ burn-in thread:with photos - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
This site has many sub-forums for specific model OLED's to assist anyone in setting up their display settings.

Is screen burn-in still a problem with OLED TV's? That's one thing, other than price, that has kept me away from considering one.
I've had the 2016 65" C6 model, and it hasn't been a problem, and that includes use with gaming and a chromecast. It would only be a problem if you try to use it as a monitor for long periods I suspect. Note that I have the pixel shift feature enabled.

I have an LG OLED65E6P. Burn in can and will happen at some point unless all you do is watch dvd/blu's on it. It won't happen quickly. My set has pretty bad burn in. I use mine not only as my TV but it's also my computer monitor for my HTPC. Currently just over 15.5k hrs and guessing it was around 10k+ hrs when I first noticed the burn in. So depending on usage, you may not see burn in until you're ready for the next upgrade.

I've read where LG is doing screen swaps for burn in but not announcing it, and it's a one time deal. I'll look into this myself soon. Contacting them directly thru social media or email seems to be the most successful method. Master OLED image retention/ burn-in thread:with photos - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
This site has many sub-forums for specific model OLED's to assist anyone in setting up their display settings.

Using it as a computer monitor is just like gaming....maybe worse...

I currently have a Panasonic TC-L37DT30 that would need a replacement. The Panasonic fits beautifully in a standard 32" wide armoire which is located in my bedroom. The Pansonic is a LCD and provides a great picture, Plus it's 3D. I hope this Sony's width is the same and is also 3D. I also have a LG 55EA8800 (an OLED TV) and I've no issues with screen burn-in and it's been very reliable.

As for OLED ....... the best of the BEST ....at least for now!

I wouldn’t even say “for now.”
OLED is pretty much the end of the road.

I can’t even see how it can be improved. Perfect blacks, unmatched contrast, AND — cheap to make. You read that right. They’re not expensive or complicated to make at all — just expensive to develop in the first place. They will soon be produced in giant plastic sheets and will cost very little. That’s why prices are dropping so fast.

8K won’t matter at all until you get to outdoor screens or auditoriums. And yes, OLED is coming to your theater or drive-in soon. No more projectors, no more anything else. It’s going to be an all-OLED world. Nothing else compares.

Yes.

Surround sound and 3D both faced two obstacles:

1) technology limitations
2) lack of interest

Both technologies were mostly awful in their maiden versions, more so with 3D. Interestingly, the early problems were not with the central feature: they both worked — as in, provided the promised effect — but at the expense of overall quality. Consequently, only afficionados found the tradeoff worthwhile.

Fast forward to the 21st century and surround had completely solved its technological troubles but 3D hadn’t quite. Brightness and resolution were still an issue. And then there’s those #$&%ing glasses. At least surround requires no additional body-worn equipment to enjoy.

Today, we have achieved brightness overkill — a modern LCD is brighter than you’ll ever need. And we’re on the cusp of resolution overkill with 8K looming. So maybe there’ll be one more push for 3D at a time when there will be no need to endure a subpar picture.

As for the second obstacle, if surround has taught us anything it’s that there may be no fix for it.

Using it as a computer monitor is just like gaming....maybe worse...

I realize that and it's why I mentioned it. My usage is kind of extreme and the hours it took before burn in became a problem were still really high. I would still buy another, just would abuse it less.. lol For what it's worth, my Pioneer plasma was used in the exact same setup and it never got burn in.

I realize that and it's why I mentioned it. My usage is kind of extreme and the hours it took before burn in became a problem were still really high. I would still buy another, just would abuse it less.. lol For what it's worth, my Pioneer plasma was used in the exact same setup and it never got burn in.

I'm curious...did you use D-Nice's formula for breaking in the Kuro?...,maybe you aren't familiar with him...

I'm curious...did you use D-Nice's formula for breaking in the Kuro?...,maybe you aren't familiar with him...
Thats been a few years and I dont recall how I broke it in. I'm sure it was via something from the AVS forum that I used. One thing I distinctly remember the pixel shift mode was more obvious on the plasma than on the oled so maybe that helped more with the burn in?

Just to clarify though, OLED is the best picture you are going to find, with plasma being dead. I don't think they make them anymore, but the LG OLED with 3D is phenomenal. Kind of bummed that I'll lose 3d when I get my screen swapped out.

Thats been a few years and I dont recall how I broke it in. I'm sure it was via something from the AVS forum that I used. One thing I distinctly remember the pixel shift mode was more obvious on the plasma than on the oled so maybe that helped more with the burn in?

Just to clarify though, OLED is the best picture you are going to find, with plasma being dead. I don't think they make them anymore, but the LG OLED with 3D is phenomenal. Kind of bummed that I'll lose 3d when I get my screen swapped out.

D-Nice does post on AVS...he was THE MAN when it came to calibration on Pioneer's and Panasonic Plasmas...his "settings" for those that didn't want to have their display calibrated were excellent..

Back