OLED TV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I pulled the trigger and got the Sony. Yes, thanks to Clinty for this thread. This thread helped me and a few articles.
Sony - 77" Class - OLED - A9G MASTER Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

Sony A9G OLED wins 'King of TV' at 2019 TV Shootout
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1560428570
EXPERTS AND AUDIENCE WEIGH IN ON 2020’S BEST TV (Due to Covid 19 canceled ???)
https://ceweekny.com/tv-shootout/

This page shows 13 stores selling the Sony all within pennys of each other
https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-a9g-series/buy/xbr77a9g#
Several manufacturers, including Sony, require their dealers to sell their products at "list price" to prevent one dealer having an unfair advantage over another. I encountered this when I was selling TV's and stereo equipment.

Well I pulled the trigger and got the Sony. Yes, thanks to Clinty for this thread. This thread helped me and a few articles.
Sony - 77" Class - OLED - A9G MASTER Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

Sony A9G OLED wins 'King of TV' at 2019 TV Shootout
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1560428570
EXPERTS AND AUDIENCE WEIGH IN ON 2020’S BEST TV (Due to Covid 19 canceled ???)
https://ceweekny.com/tv-shootout/

This page shows 13 stores selling the Sony all within pennys of each other
https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-a9g-series/buy/xbr77a9g#

Are you going with Best Buy?

You’ll get to see every little Spaghetti 🍝 Western hair on Eli’s chest 🤠

See the source image

WOOF .... PUPSTER 🐶

Clinty, MANY thanks for posting that review in Sound/Vision because after reading it, I called up my installer and bitched him out. NOT A GOOD REVIEW.
He is looking into the next SONY Model, the VW995~ES which NOT only has the superior lens, but superior contrast levels and upgraded HDR10 and of course still has 3D......but the caveat....it lists for $35K.

I didn't want to say anything to you after I read that review...as projectors aren't in my wheelhouse...BUT I knew you wouldn't be happy with the evaluation...glad you could get a better unit (y)

My Sammy 8500 series plasma crapped out. I spent a couple hundred bucks to try and fix it-y board replaced but decided not to put any more money into it. I bought a budget Sammy until we move and then will probably get an OLED-Sony looks best. This thread has been helpful.

Haven’t owned any Panasonic high end gear Clint, but usually hear good things about their stuff.
What do think about this line:

In addition, Panasonic says that HZ2000 offers an improved 3.0.2-channel speaker system for Dolby Atmos as well...

OK sure :rolleyes:
Lots of things have changed at Panasonic on the video side...their high water mark was with Plasma...after they closed that down a lot of the talented people left the company...either by choice or involuntarily...when they tried to transition to LCD...they struggled....they aren't the same caliber company they were during the Plasma era...over the years I have purchased quite a few Panasonic products...

Interesting 🧐 Clint, didn’t know about this!
Saw the term pixel pitch and found a nice little vid for it; more about the difference in screen size and it’s resolution. So is this a midway point before jumping to 8K?

It's hard to say where these emerging technologies stand right now...Micro Led is facing the same obstacles as OLED did in the beginning...it's expensive to manufacture...LG was able to solve the OLED production problem where others failed...now they are king....even though Sony has better processing...they still have to buy their panels from someone else...LG....there is also a tech called dual cell LCD...but it requires a lot of power...which doesn't bode well for it's mass adoption....the projections for any type of market penetration for Micro Led is 5 years...and it will be very small...as far as 8k goes...IMO...it's not a big deal...just more pixels....

I was reminded yesterday while playing a BD on my Samsung LED of one feature that doesn’t get enough attention IMO, is how a TV handles anti-glare when watching during daytime. I have a lot of windows in my viewing area, and at certain times of the day the glare can be bothersome.

Another feature to check out before purchasing a new TV is how robust is it’s processor for smart TV features such as web browsing. My current Samsung is a real dog in that aspect and is so slow it’s unusable. It must have some kind of dedicated processor for that because it has no problem with streaming services like Amazon Prime, YouTube, and Netflix videos.

Any advice for TVs that excel in these areas would be appreciated:)

I was reminded yesterday while playing a BD on my Samsung LED of one feature that doesn’t get enough attention IMO, is how a TV handles anti-glare when watching during daytime.

Another feature to check out before purchasing a new TV is how robust is it’s processor for smart TV features such as web browsing. :)

The 1/2” glass of my LG OLED could be a real problem against sunlight. This is why some are screaming NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH with 5000-nit screens — they’re getting washed out by sunlit rooms. The answer is to put your big screen in a room meant for serious viewing — one sealed against sunlight. I’ve done that and all is well. My OLED is blindingly bright — more than enough so.

As for “smart“ TV features, my advice is forget it. No smart TV — nor disc player I’ve seen — has any streaming or other features worth a bucket of warm spit. They spend about five cents on their implementation, just enough to put another logo on the box. What you want is a dumb TV, one that won’t record your every word like a Samsung fridge. Too bad they don’t make those now, but you can just disable or ignore those features and instead buy a dedicated streaming device like Apple TV or Roku that’s expressly designed to handle those tasks well.

The 1/2” glass of my LG OLED could be a real problem against sunlight. This is why some are screaming NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH with 5000-nit screens — they’re getting washed out by sunlit rooms. The answer is to put your big screen in a room meant for serious viewing — one sealed against sunlight. I’ve done that and all is well. My OLED is blindingly bright — more than enough so.

As for “smart“ TV features, my advice is forget it. No smart TV — nor disc player I’ve seen — has any streaming or other features worth a bucket of warm spit. They spend about five cents on their implementation, just enough to put another logo on the box. What you want is a dumb TV, one that won’t record your every word like a Samsung fridge. Too bad they don’t make those now, but you can just disable or ignore those features and instead buy a dedicated streaming device like Apple TV or Roku that’s expressly designed to handle those tasks,well.
Thanks, I’d change rooms if I could; luckily most of watching is done at night.

I’m currently using a ROKU, which I like, but I think the sound specs are limited on those aren’t they, maybe the Apple TV would be better for that?
But dang it, just using one of these pieces of gear/services has their specific content, that’s what also frustrates me, too many pay for view services, and if you want a one stop place forget about it!

Back