OLED TV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to say where these emerging technologies stand right now...Micro Led is facing the same obstacles as OLED did in the beginning...it's expensive to manufacture...LG was able to solve the OLED production problem where others failed...now they are king....even though Sony has better processing...they still have to buy their panels from someone else...LG....there is also a tech called dual cell LCD...but it requires a lot of power...which doesn't bode well for it's mass adoption....the projections for any type of market penetration for Micro Led is 5 years...and it will be very small...as far as 8k goes...IMO...it's not a big deal...just more pixels....
As I've been told by my neighborhood audio/video dealer, as far as 8K goes, by the time 8K becomes the choice of mass markets....these current 8K sets wont be compatible with the 8K technology in our future so dont even bother....and yes after all the research I've done over the years and currently....Sony even though they buy their OLED screens from LG....Sony's processing is still way ahead of LG, but LG is getting better. Just think about this....Sony make most of the film/video cameras etc that Hollywood uses.....so it would just make sense that their processors.....would be more inclined to be better to begin with.

Last edited:
As I've been told by my neighborhood audio/video dealer, as far as 8K goes, by the time 8K becomes the choice of mass markets....these current 8K sets wont be compatible with the 8K technology in our future so dont even bother....and yes after all the research I've done over the years and currently....Sony even though they buy their OLEO screens from LG....Sony's processing is still way ahead of LG, but LG is getting better. Just think about this....Sony make most of the film/video cameras etc that Hollywood uses.....so it would just make sense that their processors.....would be more inclined to be better to begin with.
Great points MMS-LLC 🤠

Sony's processing is still way ahead of LG, but LG is getting better.

When it comes to OLED, I don’t believe there is anything more than an incremental difference between models — if that.

If you take a look at LG’s website, they amusingly — and candidly - state there is little difference between their models. Unless you are a hardcore gamer, many of the differences don’t even apply.

This whole “processing” thing today is mostly marketing BS to make up for hardware shortcomings. Samsung will talk your ear off all day about how much better their “processing“ is than last year’s. There’s a reason for this: Samsung TV’s are crap hardware made with decades-old tech. Even their hardware upgrades, like full-array lighting, sound convincing in theory but in practice make no difference I can discern. I once compared two models side by side — same size, same signal — one with full-array and the other without, and could not tell a difference to save my life.

Once upon a time (last century), video processing really mattered. One company (forget the name) led the industry in developing really clever software to extract higher quality from what was essentially a substandard picture (SD or ED). It worked astonishingly well, and I spent many hours watching their demos at CES. They charged big bucks for their tech which appeared only in high-end, super-pricey sets.

With OLED, 4K and HDR, those days are over. The inherent quality of OLED is so strong it doesn’t need super processing and mostly won’t benefit from it. But marketers gotta market, and Sony gotta Sony, which means — to paraphrase the late Robin Williams — to overcharge for no reason.

While I currently own a Samsung TV, I have no great love or allegiance to that brand. When I'm ready to shop for a new TV ( :unsure: -when); it will also coincide with a new AVR for my main system, which is another big purchase to consider. But I'm definitely leaning towards OLED and either LG or Sony at this point.
But there will always be progress in the technology which is why it's good IMO, to keep up with what's on the horizon to see if waiting a little longer can be a benefit (just can't wait too long, I'm not getting any younger!)

I'm definitely leaning towards OLED and either LG or Sony at this point.
But there will always be progress in the technology which is why it's good IMO, to keep up with what's on the horizon to see if waiting a little longer can be a benefit

I would not even consider a Sony. With more than $800 price difference on the 77” model — for “processing” and a Sony badge — I would put that extra money towards something useful, like a retirement fund.

Re your second point, I have no argument. Do keep up. What I’m saying is, we are past the point of waiting, unless you just flat can’t afford OLED. They won’t get better, but they will — and are — getting cheaper. And that right quickly.

While I currently own a Samsung TV, I have no great love or allegiance to that brand. When I'm ready to shop for a new TV ( :unsure: -when); it will also coincide with a new AVR for my main system, which is another big purchase to consider. But I'm definitely leaning towards OLED and either LG or Sony at this point.
But there will always be progress in the technology which is why it's good IMO, to keep up with what's on the horizon to see if waiting a little longer can be a benefit (just can't wait too long, I'm not getting any younger!)
I actually have no allegiance to any brand either. I was interested in the LG Wallpaper TV because I thought its picture was even better then their most expensive OLED TV, which IMHO is. The price has gone way down on them and they look great UP AGAINST THE WALL!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sony seems to be going smaller for 2020 as far as OLED, 48”-65”. I want to replace my 75” Samsung with something at least as big. Looks like I’m leaning towards LG.

You might want to see how the reviews come on the Vizio OLED? It's promising to be the cheapest yet for comparable performance.

FWIW, I'm still perfectly happy with my 2016 model - I don't think there's that much change year to year.

Transparent TV . Yup. But I imagine those are simulated images.

https://www.asiaone.com/digital/xiaomi-has-just-dropped-transparent-oled-tv

I WANT ONE

And my premiere UHD4K Flick on this new TV

81jt9oHdNuL._SL1500_.jpg

When it comes to OLED, I don’t believe there is anything more than an incremental difference between models — if that.

If you take a look at LG’s website, they amusingly — and candidly - state there is little difference between their models. Unless you are a hardcore gamer, many of the differences don’t even apply.

This whole “processing” thing today is mostly marketing BS to make up for hardware shortcomings. Samsung will talk your ear off all day about how much better their “processing“ is than last year’s. There’s a reason for this: Samsung TV’s are crap hardware made with decades-old tech. Even their hardware upgrades, like full-array lighting, sound convincing in theory but in practice make no difference I can discern. I once compared two models side by side — same size, same signal — one with full-array and the other without, and could not tell a difference to save my life.

Once upon a time (last century), video processing really mattered. One company (forget the name) led the industry in developing really clever software to extract higher quality from what was essentially a substandard picture (SD or ED). It worked astonishingly well, and I spent many hours watching their demos at CES. They charged big bucks for their tech which appeared only in high-end, super-pricey sets.

With OLED, 4K and HDR, those days are over. The inherent quality of OLED is so strong it doesn’t need super processing and mostly won’t benefit from it. But marketers gotta market, and Sony gotta Sony, which means — to paraphrase the late Robin Williams — to overcharge for no reason.
Not sure where you are getting your information but processing is THE biggest difference between viewing quality when it comes to the identical panels (and even LED/LCD's). The "clever" software you refer to is likely to be similar (if not identical) to the now standard "upconversion" built in to most every TV available to get from broadcast 720 and 1080 formats to the 4k (or those plus 4k to 8k). Viewing those formats without upconversion would truncate them to a very small portion of your screen. Not all upconversion is alike. Some is almost unwatchable. As far as how better processors affect viewing but more subtlety, watch identical non 4k content on a high end Sony next to its lower model or any LG or other brand TV and you'll begin to see the difference. Even if you only watch ALL 4k content, this doesn't even begin to account for the processing "glitches" (brief pause and skip frames) of the lower end LG processors (I've heard they fixed this in latest incarnations). This happened at any resolution.

Not sure where you are getting your information but processing is THE biggest difference between viewing quality when it comes to the identical panels (and even LED/LCD's). The "clever" software you refer to is likely to be similar (if not identical) to the now standard "upconversion" built in to most every TV available to get from broadcast 720 and 1080 formats to the 4k (or those plus 4k to 8k). Viewing those formats without upconversion would truncate them to a very small portion of your screen. Not all upconversion is alike. Some is almost unwatchable. As far as how better processors affect viewing but more subtlety, watch identical non 4k content on a high end Sony next to its lower model or any LG or other brand TV and you'll begin to see the difference. Even if you only watch ALL 4k content, this doesn't even begin to account for the processing "glitches" (brief pause and skip frames) of the lower end LG processors (I've heard they fixed this in latest incarnations). This happened at any resolution.

The difference in video processing isn't marketing...it's measurable and it's visible...especially in regards to handling motion...in the past... there have been a lot of false marketing claims regarding video displays...most notably in the plasma era when contrast ratio numbers where wildly inflated...but this isn't one of them..

Ugh, I cannot believe my 65" Samsung, now about 7 years old is starting to act up, I have been down this road before. A few days ago I noticed at times the screen was less bright, I thought maybe I bumped a setting button accidentally and then this morning I turned on and screen completely goofed up, turned off and turned on and back to normal. As I said been down this slow torture road of TV on it's way out.
7 years seems a little short?
I really don't want to buy another TV, and I won't, I am going to look thru the haze as long as I can.

Ugh, I cannot believe my 65" Samsung, now about 7 years old is starting to act up, I have been down this road before. A few days ago I noticed at times the screen was less bright, I thought maybe I bumped a setting button accidentally and then this morning I turned on and screen completely goofed up, turned off and turned on and back to normal. As I said been down this slow torture road of TV on it's way out.
7 years seems a little short?
I really don't want to buy another TV, and I won't, I am going to look thru the haze as long as I can.
The T. V.s (or T.Z.) are in control...

...sorry 😈

Back