Once there was a thread...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can capture any stream you want. The Atmos decoders being strictly put into hardware only and not available otherwise kind of seals that end of the deal for now though. Stream, purchase, or pirate.

Hey, we have the modern day version of the rare early mix test acetate! :D
You know someone in the fan forum is keeping good notes and saving everything.

Such a shame the original mix is gone. I thought it was fantastic, and this new one is way too subtle and as others have said is essentially just a stereo mix.

Real bummer. But I also understand Mayer's concerns, and he kind of should have final say over how *his* music sounds.

Really??? Not even connecting the analog out of the receiver into the analog inputs of a (for example) MOTU 828es??? I do not have Atmos but I do have a MCH Marantz receiver and a MOTU 828es...
I was thinking of a direct digital transfer, but yes you could do that. What format do you encode the 12 channels in? It would have to be .WAV right? FLAC is only good for 9 channels. DSD wont work. You cant encode them back with metadata. PCM? Maybe one of you gurus knows of a 12 channel capable hi res format.....

I keep thinking about this, and I'm not even a John Mayer fan or have Atmos, so I probably never would have listened to it, but I loved the fact that ThomC did the mix and was so proud of it that he came to this forum and posted about it so that members who could hear it properly would check it out, and the initial response was that it was incredible. People who didn't even care for John Mayer were gushing about ThomC's Atmos surround mix.

Then, suddenly, to have it removed, taken off line and made unavailable, with the artist bragging that he 'fixed' it, that really pisses me off somehow - when it should not even affect me. Saying that he 'fixed' it means that there was something wrong with ThomC's version. I doubt that very much. It also insinuates that ThomC did a bad job. Again, that's crap. We all know ThomC knows what the heck he's doing, and in many cases in the past has done an incredible job on 5.1 and surround mixes.

Mayer should have said the mix was 'updated' or 'recreated in a way that was more acceptable to him as the performing artist', or something like that. Not "I fixed it" That's bullshit

To come out and blatantly say "I fixed it" is a direct shot at the person who did the mix, which is totally classless. F that guy.

I know for sure that I will never listen to this release in any format. First off, I'm too old, and secondly, there's no way I would ever purchase anything by John Mayer again.

I suspect , contractually, that ThomC is not permitted to make his own views known.

You have hit every nail on the head Jon.
Hence why we got upset when his fantastic mix was pulled and replaced by what? A total shit show compared to his sublime Atmos mix.

Perhaps this episode sums up Mr Mayer for who he really is as a person.

I suspect , contractually, that ThomC is not permitted to make his own views known.

You have hit every nail on the head Jon.
Hence why we got upset when his fantastic mix was pulled and replaced by what? A total shit show compared to his sublime Atmos mix.

Perhaps this episode sums up Mr Mayer for who he really is as a person.
ThomC was asked ,I think in this deleted thread,if he was involved in the new mix.The answer was:"sadly so":(

We should all go on Twitter and add a comment:
AEA41DD2-7C44-4920-B601-65E8150CA8F1.jpeg

9C7A5FE8-1626-4F7F-AAC8-A6087878A5C5.jpeg

I keep thinking about this, and I'm not even a John Mayer fan or have Atmos, so I probably never would have listened to it, but I loved the fact that ThomC did the mix and was so proud of it that he came to this forum and posted about it so that members who could hear it properly would check it out, and the initial response was that it was incredible. People who didn't even care for John Mayer were gushing about the Atmos surround mix.

Then, suddenly, to have it removed, taken off line and made unavailable, with the artist bragging that he 'fixed' it, that really pisses me off somehow - when it should not even affect me. Saying that he 'fixed' it means that there was something wrong with ThomC's version. I doubt that very much. It also insinuates that ThomC did a bad job. Again, that's crap. We all know ThomC knows what the heck he's doing, and in many cases in the past has done an incredible job on 5.1 and surround mixes.

Mayer should have said the mix was 'updated' or 'recreated in a way that was more acceptable to him as the performing artist', or something like that. Not "I fixed it" That's bullshit

To come out and blatantly say "I fixed it" is a direct shot at the person who did the mix, which is totally classless. F that guy.

I know for sure that I will never listen to this release in any format. First off, I'm too old, and secondly, there's no way I would ever purchase anything by John Mayer again.
I've been feeling exactly the same way Jon.

There's a trend here IMO from John Mayer stretching back to his earlier surround releases that I always felt sounded flat, heavily stereo in nature and even slightly monophonic (just check out other's comments on the Poll threads here.) Could be he used his celebrity to influence those mixes also. So to me he obviously doesn't care for the type of surround like we do. He may think it should sound like a fan standing 50 feet from the stage at one of his arena "live" performances, which usually sounds like mud.

ThomC deserves much better.

Last edited:
Back