Once there was a thread...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can post on your behalf if you like go send me something 👍🏻
Can I chime in? Got no social media so : P .

"As a fellow surround mixer I am saddened by the replacement of the fantastic Atmos mix of Sob Rock. The original mix was more in line of a true Atmos release, and the new mix does not improve many things at all, and makes it just sound like a glorified stereo mix, to be honest. I can understand wanting to change some things but I would have preferred if the older version was made available again, as the new mix certainly does not please most Atmos enthusiasts, as it doesn't make use of the format well enough."

Same as me,only QQ and similar music/hifi sites,no social media whatsoever :cool: .

Ditto here. Only on FB for couple of private groups, with privacy settings as anonymous as I can make them. Otherwise zilch. But you should feel free to speak for other Atmos enthusiasts on QQ. ([Edit:] And borrow from Jon's post for talking points! As advised below, however: best not to drag ThomC into it...)

Last edited:
Can I chime in? Got no social media so : P .

"As a fellow surround mixer I am saddened by the replacement of the fantastic Atmos mix of Sob Rock. The original mix was more in line of a true Atmos release, and the new mix does not improve many things at all, and makes it just sound like a glorified stereo mix, to be honest. I can understand wanting to change some things but I would have preferred if the older version was made available again, as the new mix certainly does not please most Atmos enthusiasts, as it doesn't make use of the format well enough."
Posted on Twitter with attention to Mr Mayer 👍🏻

Ditto here. Only on FB for couple of private groups, with privacy settings as anonymous as I can make them. Otherwise zilch. But you should feel free to speak for other Atmos enthusiasts on QQ. (And quote liberally from Jon's post!)

DON'T QUOTE MY POST ON TWITTER OR FACEBOOK. I mean, I don't care about my words, but it would be too easy for some suit to figure that ThomC was somehow connected with the comments and it could injure his ability to do his job and earn his living, and we don't want that.

ThomC may not be able to speak his mind, and he very well may not feel the same way I do, so the last thing we want to do is put words in his mouth or jeopardize his ability to earn a living and do what we love him to do.

Please. DO NOT MAKE LIFE MISERABLE FOR THOM! He might not be able to say this, but I will.

My above post mentions Thom and that would be bad to share out in the wild. Please complain all you like, but don't use his name. You can understand why I am sure

Ditto here. Only on FB for couple of private groups, with privacy settings as anonymous as I can make them. Otherwise zilch. But you should feel free to speak for other Atmos enthusiasts on QQ. (And quote liberally from Jon's post!)
Feel free to post here or DM your request and I’ll be glad to share as a screenshot in Twitter 👍🏻 @JonUrban too 👍🏻

DON'T QUOTE MY POST ON TWITTER OR FACEBOOK. I mean, I don't care about my words, but it would be too easy for some suit to figure that ThomC was somehow connected with the comments and it could injure his ability to do his job and earn his living, and we don't want that.

ThomC may not be able to speak his mind, and he very well may not feel the same way I do, so the last thing we want to do is put words in his mouth or jeopardize his ability to earn a living and do what we love him to do.

Please. DO NOT MAKE LIVE MISERABLE FOR THOM! He might not be able to say this, but I will.
Agreed no mentions of Thom just keep it to your opinion of the mix change by Mayer.

Agreed no mentions of Thom just keep it to your opinion of the mix change by Mayer.

Best way to do it. Do not bring up ThomC at all in your comments. If you do that, I am sure it will be much better for Thom.

My ranting is just from an 'old guy on an obscure forum, out of touch with reality', you know? :)

ThomC may not be able to speak his mind, and he very well does not feel the same way I do, so the last thing we want to do is put words in his mouth or jeopardize his ability to earn a living and do what we love him to do.

Please. DO NOT MAKE LIVE MISERABLE FOR THOM! He might not be able to say this, but I will.

Fair enough--and to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest that Thom should be dragged into this (or even that you should). I really just meant that your words about the "fix" implying that there was something wrong with the original mix, and that "the initial response" here "was incredible[, and that p]eople who didn't even care for John Mayer were gushing about the Atmos surround mix" would make good talking points for those looking for something to say. (I'll edit the OP accordingly.)

Myself, I'd still like to get in a dig about the "fixing" comment showing a lack of class (not to mention a lack of respect for a seasoned pro). But I agree that even an indirect comment like that could put Thom in an awkward spot.

Last edited:
Fair enough--and to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest that Thom should be dragged into this (or even that you should). I really just meant that your words about the "fix" implying that there was something wrong with the original mix, and that "the initial response" here "was incredible[, and that p]eople who didn't even care for John Mayer were gushing about the Atmos surround mix" would make good talking points for those looking for something to say.

Myself, I'd still like to get in a dig about the "fixing" comment showing a lack of class (not to mention a lack of respect for a seasoned pro). But I agree that even an indirect comment like that could put Thom in an awkward spot.

Thanks! Yes, the 'fix' word is what really ticked me off here. Very bad choice of words

Posted on Twitter with attention to Mr Mayer 👍🏻

Also not on Twitter, so feel free to relay:

Always the artist’s right to veto a mix--but that veto should have taken place behind the scenes, and before it was released. To do it publicly, after the fact--and to badmouth it with a suggestion there were was something “wrong” with the mix that needed to be “fixed”--shows a real lack of class and professionalism. I wasn’t even a fan of Mayer’s music, but like many others here who are passionate about surround sound and immersive mixing, I’ve listened to a lot of Atmos mixes over the last year, and the one that was withdrawn was excellent. The “fixed” one, by contrast, is tame and boring, and it doesn’t begin to take advantage of the possibilities that Atmos affords. Mayer needs to hear that on surround and audiophile forums like this one, the overwhelming consensus about the original Atmos mix was that it was superb. People here were gushing about it, and it’s a shame that it was taken away.

Also not on Twitter, so feel free to relay:

Always the artist’s right to veto a mix--but that veto should have taken place behind the scenes, and before it was released. To do it publicly, after the fact--and to badmouth it with a suggestion there were was something “wrong” with the mix that needed to be “fixed”--shows a real lack of class and professionalism. I wasn’t even a fan of Mayer’s music, but like many others here who are passionate about surround sound and immersive mixing, I’ve listened to a lot of Atmos mixes over the last year, and the one that was withdrawn was excellent. The “fixed” one, by contrast, is tame and boring, and it doesn’t begin to take advantage of the possibilities that Atmos affords. Mayer needs to hear that on surround and audiophile forums like this one, the overwhelming consensus about the original Atmos mix was that it was superb. People here were gushing about it, and it’s a shame that it was taken away.
Done ✅

I agree with everyone about the sentiment that there was nothing wrong with the original mix and it shouldn’t be replaced. However, to be fair to John Mayer, I just want to make sure we aren’t misquoting him. I don’t see anywhere that the term “fixing” the mix was actually attributed to him. Just that he oversaw the current mix and is happy with it. I think it was the 3rd party reporting on it that used that term. At least from what I could gather. (I don’t have Instagram or Twitter or Facebook.)

This guy liked the first iteration...
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 11.13.26 PM.png

Just catching up with this disappointing news and turn of events. I added my voice to the twitter thread.

Most musicians should be let nowhere near a mixing or mastering console.

Jimmy Page is the best known example for that rule. Just ask Glyn Johns.

Back