Once there was a thread...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if the complaints were mostly coming from people who aren't even set up for surround, let alone Atmos, so they were hearing a downmixed-on-the-fly version or—worse—hearing only FL/FR and losing everything else. That might explain the complaints and the route taken to "fix" the mix.

I'm wondering if the complaints were mostly coming from people who aren't even set up for surround, let alone Atmos, so they were hearing a downmixed-on-the-fly version or—worse—hearing only FL/FR and losing everything else. That might explain the complaints and the route taken to "fix" the mix.
Oh my god this would make so much sense.

Sledgehammer!!!!! WHAM!! CRASH!! THUD!!

("I fixed the mix. Ooooh! Pieces.") :D

It does make sense that all of the parts must be audible no matter what kind of sound reproduction is being listened to.

Think Mono AM, Stereo FM, Dolby Surround, 5.1, 7.1, 7.2.4.

(Edit) And soundbar. I forgot soundbar.

Even when making matrix quad recordings, you had to make sure a mono listener could hear all of the parts.

Last edited:
Most musicians should be let nowhere near a mixing or mastering console.

Jimmy Page is the best known example for that rule. Just ask Glyn Johns.

Just look at Dark Side Of The Moon quad (mixed by Alan Parsons and superb) vs Wish You Were Here quad (mixed by the band and very mediocre).

Queen "Live Killers" was mixed by the band themselves, splicing in concerts all over the place and over dubbing a lot of it. Brian and Roger have since said it would probably have come out better if they'd let somebody else do it.

Or tried listening to it with a soundbar (because there was an "Atmos ready" decal on the front of it).
The side, rear, and height channels are literally ricocheted off your walls and ceiling. If it's not just reverb already or a crude bullet wizzing by effect, you aren't going to hear much of it. Full music signals would just be farty sounding. I'm convinced this is the cause of a certain style of mastering damage we are seeing recently with the slammed front heavy channels, reduced surround channels, and the ear bleeding high end boost.

You know, don't suggest and try to sell proper equipment to play this stuff. Ruin the master of the recording so it still sounds really bad on inappropriate devices but now no one else gets to hear it.

All anyone would have to do to fix this would be to put crude cheap dsp in these shitty devices to do that damage. Label it "loudness". It would fix everything. Marketing could have fun gaslighting their marks that their "system" improves the sound and all that. AV receivers already have dsp chips in them for their suck button features. ("Club eq" and that kind of silliness.)

On DVD or BLR, the problem can be solved with multiple choices in the audio source menu.

Man, listening to a true, no foolin', properly done Atmos mix (like the new Leon Bridges album) and then switching over to this really just emphasizes how subtle (and lame) the Atmos mix of Sob Rock really is now.

I know that Spatial Audio over headphones was pretty unimpressive, and I wonder if this new mix sounds better than the original on headphones, and maybe that's why Mayer opted for it. But on a surround system it's so anemic, I have to check to make sure my speakers are actually working every time.

Last edited:
Who is this John Mayer person and why are they such a deeek?

If people are going to hate "proper Atmos" then we might as well kiss the format goodbye and say thanks for nothin'.

WTF is wrong with people lately? I've noticed this overwhelming deeek trend over the past few years where a tiny percentage of the population throw friggin sheeet fits and somehow manage to bully the rest of the world into getting their way. I've heard of squeaky wheels getting grease, but it's gotten completely out of hand.

Just look at Dark Side Of The Moon quad (mixed by Alan Parsons and superb) vs Wish You Were Here quad (mixed by the band and very mediocre).

I don't know what version of WYWH you listened to, but the version I have here is awesome, way better than the two DSOTM mixes IMO.

I don't know what version of WYWH you listened to, but the version I have here is awesome, way better than the two DSOTM mixes IMO.
Owen is comparing the original 70's era quad mixes of each album. The legit versions of which are only available on quad LPs and tapes of the period and digitized versions available in the respective Immersion sets of those releases. My question would be, what version of WYWH are you listening to? The 5.1 Guthrie mixes of both DSOTM and WYWH have better fidelity than the quads, but the discreteness of the Parsons quad DSOTM is considered demo material by most listeners, and IMO bests any of the comparatively timid Guthrie mixes that have been released thus far.

Owen is comparing the original 70's era quad mixes of each album. The legit versions of which are only available on quad LPs and tapes of the period and digitized versions available in the respective Immersion sets of those releases. My question would be, what version of WYWH are you listening to? The 5.1 Guthrie mixes of both DSOTM and WYWH have better fidelity than the quads, but the discreteness of the Parsons quad DSOTM is considered demo material by most listeners, and IMO bests any of the comparatively timid Guthrie mixes that have been released thus far.

Well, I have the 1975 4.0 Quad discrete mix from the Immersion box set that I assumed was the discrete master from the '70s Quad LP version. I also have the '70s Quad LP version off the record converted to multi-channel digital and I have the 5.1 Guthrie mix from the box set as well. I'm not a huge fan of the Guthrie mixes (some are better than others), but god I'd pay to hear an Atmos mix by the guys that mixed Dear Future Self for Booka Shade. It'd probably be crap your pants time awesome.

Back