One Hit Wonder Day

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cozy Cole - Topsy, Pt. II - (1958)

Along with Topsy Pt. 1 which as I recall didn't get near the air play.

I love this song. I have the original, but I like the Meco version of it on his album "Encounters of Every Kind".

This is one very well-recorded Muscle Shoals release from 1977. Not many people know that these band members we're part of the Lynyrd Skynyrd / Allman Brothers circle & were moments (schedule change) from getting on that ill-fated Lynyrd Skynyrd flight.

Lenny is still kicking, but we just lost Pete Carr last year (distinctive wah-wah guitar here) native of my current state of Florida. This OHW has got to be one of the most under-appreciated 70s tunes around. This one should bring back memories for many of you that's for sure...

I always wondered how this Dutch group had such precise locales (Grapevine?) mentioned in the song. Turns out one of the members lived in LA/SoCal for several years so that explains that. Anyway this is definitely a US OHW standout from 1981 (whole album is actually quite good and I recommend it)...I'm sure you all will fondly remember this original longer version :)

Last edited:
This is the epitome of a OHW and here's the *entire original album* that should bring back serious memories of these classic video games. Several of the other songs on it are quite good too-- namely my favorite "Goin' Berserk". But "PMF" was the big hit & the original version no less you cannot find easily these days. Sony refused to give them masters to the original release so they had to recreate as an inferior 1999 CD release. But this is the true blue classic album you just may fondly remember spinning on that good 'ol turntable :)

I always wondered how this Dutch group had such precise locales (Grapevine?) mentioned in the song. Turns out one of the members lived in LA/SoCal for several years so that explains that. Anyway this is definitely a US OHW standout from 1981 (whole album is actually quite good and I recommend it)...I'm sure you all will fondly remember this original longer version :)

An unusual, quirky song and I've always liked it.

I'll have a burger and a root beer, too.

Doug

Once upon a time AGES ago I heard a song on FM radio in the car. I am sure the DJ got yapped at.

I didn't catch the group. But the song was;

"Hit Me! with your rhythm stick! Hit me Hit me Hit me!!"

It was hilarious.

Through the miracle of youtube I have discovered that it was from Ian Drury and the Blockheads. Whom I guess were more than one hit wonders.

Of course you never heard of them on regular FM radio here. Maybe some underground stations or shows that I didn't listen to.

Back