One Of The Highest I've Seen - Billy Joel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadmaker

If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it to the correct.

I don't post much but I didn't see a post on this when searching. I was watching a Billy Joel "Piano Man" Q8 Track auction on eBay the last few days, I was going to bid on it ($100 or so) actually but fell asleep.
I checked today to see what it finally sold for and my mouth dropped, selling price was $535.00 USD. I think (for me anyways) the highest I ever saw was CCR Gold Q8 Track for something like $1100 USD.

Is there a thread for these high dollar sellers, ones that go for over $300 or so, it might be interesting. I do understand this was probably a 1 shot deal and may not happen again but I find it amazing to
to see what some are willing to pay, kudos to the winner, you are a true quad-head.

Doesn't make a lot of sense really. Probably the buyer is not aware that the album is available in Sony 360RA, and I'm going to bet it will get a physical SACD release sooner than later. Audio Fidelity gave us Streetlife Serenade, so it's just a matter of time (I believe) before it gets the Dutton treatment.
I was really shocked by this to be honest. The days of high-dollar Q8's is over. Titles that used to trade for hundreds routinely have been available for a tenth of what they used to. I would imagine it's the "market" for the tapes aging-out. People would rather spend their money on other, more relevant things. I can safely say the "Under 25" crowd has never even seen an 8-track tape, let alone know what to do with it or even how to make it work.
I still feel this is a one-off or a secret pissing match. Honestly, the last time I saw a really nice Billy Joel Q8 sell, it was for under $80. Heck, even that really nice shape Mama Lion Q8 barely cracked $85. Those two tapes used to be classic heavy hitters.

Back