One of the more confusing system releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surround.sound.enthusiast

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I was looking around Ebay, and came across this confusing release:

Mancini / Severinsen: Brass Ivory & Strings, Taiwanese version?

Brass, Ivory & Strings Taiwanese.jpg

The auction says it's a Taiwanese release, on the Yung Feng Records label, catalog number LF-4021. The front cover art has both the CD-4 and Quadradisc logo and lettering common of Japan, but also has the SQ logo(!) in CBS-style. The rear cover art repeats CD-4 and SQ, and so does the label on the record itself. The label also uses a white and orange scheme similar to what I've so far associated with the CBS Japanese SQ releases. If this is actually a quad release, I'm leaning toward CD-4, and that the manufacturer simply didn't know what they were dealing with when it came to the graphics and packaging. Then again, it could even be stereo with a whole mess of misleading packaging!

So far we have no knowledge of a Taiwanese version of this album via Mark's discography. Anyone have any information on this oddity?

I was looking around Ebay, and came across this confusing release:

Mancini / Severinsen: Brass Ivory & Strings, Taiwanese version?

View attachment 34700

The auction says it's a Taiwanese release, on the Yung Feng Records label, catalog number LF-4021. The front cover art has both the CD-4 and Quadradisc logo and lettering common of Japan, but also has the SQ logo(!) in CBS-style. The rear cover art repeats CD-4 and SQ, and so does the label on the record itself. The label also uses a white and orange scheme similar to what I've so far associated with the CBS Japanese SQ releases. If this is actually a quad release, I'm leaning toward CD-4, and that the manufacturer simply didn't know what they were dealing with when it came to the graphics and packaging. Then again, it could even be stereo with a whole mess of misleading packaging!

So far we have no knowledge of a Taiwanese version of this album via Mark's discography. Anyone have any information on this oddity?

Has to be a bootleg copy. AFAIK, RCA NEVER released an SQ title.......only CD~4!

I have seen them online before and suspect it is a counterfeit. I believe Mark will not list Taiwanese releases unless he can prove they are legitimate. Also, the "SQ" logo is actually "SO" if you look closely. I have no idea what it means but it definitely smacks of trying to look like a Japanese CBS disc.

I'm sure i posted that years ago when we were discussing some odd cd4 releases, bit i can't find it right now, so i copy from another source:

They'd get two legit copies of the record, one for each side, electroplate them, and the result would be the stampers. Since a stamper has to be bigger than a finished record, they'd have to "extend" the edges of the original pressings by any means necessary, which meant the lead-in grooves would usually get fucked up, which is why these pirated pressings were always trimmed smaller than legit ones.

The results, sound-quality-wise, were occasionally better than you'd expect (this based on the VERY few NM ones I've come across), with the most common sonic defect being strange whooshing noises caused by the fact that the originals had raised edges and labels and such that got flattened and distorted in the press. And of course, any defects of the originals would also be on all the copies. And also quality control was, let's say, not a priority.

But the main reason they usually sound so crappy is that they were played to death on garbage equipment, since it's sort of hard to maintain a nice stereo system in an army barracks.

For a nice example,

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...-hits-greatest-others-sq-q8.5635/#post-149640

Since they were using real CD4 records for the stampers creation, the carrier IS present, from that it all depends how badly the record was pressed and handled.
The J.B. taiwan records of the post it is on the hand of one QQ member and it does decodes correctly, just have some noisier vinyl that the real japanese.

Below is a link to the counterfeit - pirate discography as a useful resource for not wasting ones dollars on product that will not satisfy a true collectors intentions. Quadraphonic Discography-Counterfeit & Pirate Recordings

I know of about 700 other RM and SQ titles from Taiwan, Hong Kong & Singapore of artist from those areas with a quad notation. These come from record companies that observed international copyright laws at the time and most are still in operation today. While I still have my doubts about most of these I can not simply write all of them off as not being quad as surely someone had the equipment to do matrix recordings.

Here is an EP presumed to QX (RM) encoded from Prinstar Records Taiwan
Chang Siao Ying with The Travellers -Sad Dreamer. Prinstar 4CS-7002 (Format EP) [Taiwan]a.jpg

Chang Siao Ying with The Travellers -Sad Dreamer. Prinstar 4CS-7002 (Format EP) [Taiwan]c.jpg

Lin Ying & Travellers Band -Songs By Lin Ying. Prinstar Records 4CS-7001 (Format EP) [Singapore].JPG

Tony Wong Records Singapore QS
Amazing Magicial Psych Music Sound Vol.14. TONY LP-1028 (QS) [Singapore]a.jpg

Amazing Magicial Psych Music Sound Vol.14. TONY LP-1028 (QS) [Singapore]b.jpg

There are lots of SQ or 4 channel labeled records from Haishan & Leico records that I am highly suspecting are not legit or quad that I have not included in the pirate list as of yet
Hong Xiulan -I love. Hai Shan Record Co. LS-4081 (SQ) [Taiwan]aa.jpg

JENNY TSENG-Unknown. Hai Shan Records LS-4012 (SQ) [Taiwan]c.jpg

LEICO AK-1008 (SQ) [Taiwan]b.JPG

LEICO AK-1008 (SQ) [Taiwan]E.jpg

Due to the lack of CD-4 pressing plants in the world, Korea and the Philippines are the only countries that produced legit CD-4 in the Asian markets unless manufactured and imported from Japan, USA, Germany.

Attachments

• Music Publishing Association (HK).pdf
    45.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Philippines cd4???? I knew koran pressing, but Philippines....

Philippines cd4???? I knew koran pressing, but Philippines....
Here is what I recall

Diana Ross & The Supremes –Greatest Hits. Tamla Motown TM-CD4-2137 (CD4) [Philippines]
GLENN MILLER & ORCHESTRA -All About Glen Miller In CD-4 Vol. 1. Vicor International VI-2038 (CD4) [Philippines]
Film Studio Orchestra ‎–Godfather, Sounds Of Cine Action. Vicor International VI-1012 (CD4) [Philippines]
JACK DE MELLO HAWAIIAN ALL STARS -Hawaiian Sound In CD4. Vicor International VI-2033 (CD4) [Philippines]
HENRY MANCINI -Warm Shade of Ivory. Vicor R4P-5010 (CD4) [Philippines]
JACK DE MELLO HAWAIIAN ALL STARS -Hawaiian Sound In CD4. Vicor International VI-2033 (CD4) [Philippines]
TAKESHI INOMATA & SOUND LIMITED -Yesterday. Dyna Products-Polydor GR-2001 (CD4) [Philippines]
ENRIQUE M. FRANCINI -Un Violon Dans La Nuit. Vicor International VI-2060 (CD4) [Philippines]

Two examples
Film Studio Orchestra –Godfather, Sounds Of Cine Action. Vicor International VI-1012 (CD4) [...jpg

Diana Ross & The Supremes -Greatest Hits. Tamla Motown TM-CD4-2137 (CD4) [Philippines]d.jpg

W.O.W.
I remember seeing once the first kind of label and thinking it was a boot... the second one is really groovy.

I have seen them online before and suspect it is a counterfeit. I believe Mark will not list Taiwanese releases unless he can prove they are legitimate. Also, the "SQ" logo is actually "SO" if you look closely. I have no idea what it means but it definitely smacks of trying to look like a Japanese CBS disc.

Wow, good eye, it does say "SO". I could only assume it means "SO" counterfeit indeed. The header photo to the Counterfeit and Pirate section of the Discography actually shows a label with "SO" on it.

Below is a link to the counterfeit - pirate discography as a useful resource for not wasting ones dollars on product that will not satisfy a true collectors intentions. Quadraphonic Discography-Counterfeit & Pirate Recordings

I have overlooked the Counterfeit and Pirate section of the Discography. Man, once again, what an indispensable resource! But then again I've rarely seen any non-North American quad releases in person, and they were either European or a Japanese one once.

Back