Oneohtrix Point Never “Magic” Blu Ray (Dolby Atmos) Oct. 29 release date

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Oneohtrix Point Never otherwise known as Daniel Lapotin, is an electro pop, ambient artist out of Brooklyn, NY who makes some pretty interesting, genre defying music - perfect for Dolby Atmos, IMHO.

There are plenty of places on the web to sample his music for those not familiar. Available to preorder direct, via Bandcamp, Amazon & other online merchants. Info below

https://opn.warp.net/release/246994...r-magic-oneohtrix-point-never-blu-ray-edition
order
https://oneohtrixpointnever.bandcamp.com/merch/magic-oneohtrix-point-never-blu-ray-editionhttps://smile.amazon.com/Magic-Oneo...r&qid=1631628239&sprefix=Oneoh,aps,173&sr=8-2

This came in the post Saturday, and I have to say this is possibly the worst atmos mix I have ever heard. I have no idea how this got past quality control, but this is almost completely devoid of any surround action in fact the stereo mix is infinitely more engaging. Looks to me that this disc was really put out to showcase his videos and the atmos mix was an afterthought, just with no thought applied. A real shame as I was looking forward to this.

This came in the post Saturday, and I have to say this is possibly the worst atmos mix I have ever heard. I have no idea how this got past quality control, but this is almost completely devoid of any surround action in fact the stereo mix is infinitely more engaging. Looks to me that this disc was really put out to showcase his videos and the atmos mix was an afterthought, just with no thought applied. A real shame as I was looking forward to this.

Thanks for the warning.

It sounds good on Apple Music, maybe another mix? :cool:

@beerking
I streamed this on Apple music in Atmos (downmixed to 5.1) and found a lot to enjoy.
Has anybody offered an opinion on if the bluray with videos is a different mix?
That seems incredible if true.
The bluray mix is poor in comparison to the streaming version.
I did email the record company but surprise, surprise no reply.
Cannot recommend the Bluray.

Were there 2 mixes?

Or was its Apples Spatial software?

I doubt we never know

The Apple mix is very good...imo

Were there 2 mixes?

I doubt we never know

Thanks amigo, you saved me $50 to spend on the Quadrophenia box instead.

I'm sure the video content is good on the bluray, but shocking the Atmos mix is different.

Last edited:

Were there 2 mixes?

I doubt we never know

Hey Mike,

Do you know if the actual proper Dolby Atmos mix (same as on Apple Music) was hidden somewhere on the blu ray? I seem to remember this being discussed, but can't find it? I might have just imagined it? :D

Hey Mike,

Do you know if the actual proper Dolby Atmos mix (same as on Apple Music) was hidden somewhere on the blu ray? I seem to remember this being discussed, but can't find it? I might have just imagined it? :D
Hi Will,

I'm not aware of a better mix being hidden on the physical Blu ray release.
Be great if it was!!

The million dollar question is...
How did Apple get their definitive Atmos mix from the original, average Atmos mix, to sound so good?

Especially as I bought the Blu ray on the basis of the excellent Apple mix.

I'm not aware of a better mix being hidden on the physical Blu ray release.
Be great if it was!!
Thanks Mike, hmm that's a shame. I wonder where I got that idea from then? :unsure: Have you tried ripping with MakeMKV? That should reveal a 'tree' of what's on the disc?
The million dollar question is...
How did Apple get their definitive Atmos mix from the original, average Atmos mix, to sound so good?
Ha, I'm not sure Apple would have had any involvement with the mix. They just put up the files that get sent to them. In fact it's also on Amazon Music Unlimited in Dolby Atmos. And what's weird it's tagged "Blu-Ray Edition"?! :D
https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B09MJMDGC4
Especially as I bought the Blu ray on the basis of the excellent Apple mix.
Yeah that's bit of piss take really. I wonder if there was an authoring error on the Blu Ray disc?

Thanks Mike, hmm that's a shame. I wonder where I got that idea from then? :unsure: Have you tried ripping with MakeMKV? That should reveal a 'tree' of what's on the disc?

I have ripped it via MakeMKV, when I first got it, just to check on whether there are issues.
The rip did not show any anomalies.

Ha, I'm not sure Apple would have had any involvement with the mix. They just put up the files that get sent to them. In fact it's also on Amazon Music Unlimited in Dolby Atmos. And what's weird it's tagged "Blu-Ray Edition"?! :D
https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B09MJMDGC4
All very strange...:unsure:

Yeah that's bit of piss take really. I wonder if there was an authoring error on the Blu Ray disc?

That has to be a possibility, Will.

I'm not sure we will ever get to the bottom of what happened.

I remember giving the BD a listen and not being very impressed. I should pull it out and listen again but first impressions being what they are not sure if it would make any difference.
I have not listened to any streaming version so I had no expectations on that front.
The Warp Records label only has a few artists I'm even familiar with.
https://warp.net/artists

Back