ONLINE-Stereo Review-High Fidelity-Audio Magazines etc.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003

Yup. Despite the big mention on the cover, that article was pretty much a rehash of the technologies. All of the ads in the magazine were for stereo equipment with the exception of the Shure M-24H cartridge which had just come out and was reviewed in that issue. All in all, 1976 was pretty much the end of that universe as we knew it.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/
Maybe this could be added to the
Surround Sound Links
section.

One Quad (CD-4 and SQ) example from High Fidelity magazine:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-High-Fidelity/70s/High-Fidelity-1974-01.pdf"Lab Tests Compare The Quadradisc and SQ 4 Channel Systems"

Kirk Bayne
I went to the link and enjoyed some memories that issue of High Fidelity evoked, I was a subscriber back then. Pure Nostalgia. Audio Nirvana back then but now it is so relaxing to view in 20/20 hindsight. Undoubtedly they all got it all wrong about the value of surround sound.

LOVED the ads!!!!

Last edited:
IIRC, a 1982 issue of Video Review (a reader letter) first brought up the idea of
Home Video + Quad (some MCA DiscoVision titles had Stereo Sound and
therefore were also Dolby Surround encoded).

(I'll see if I can find that issue and scan and post it)

Kirk Bayne

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/
Maybe this could be added to the
Surround Sound Links
section.

One Quad (CD-4 and SQ) example from High Fidelity magazine:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-High-Fidelity/70s/High-Fidelity-1974-01.pdf"Lab Tests Compare The Quadradisc and SQ 4 Channel Systems"

Kirk Bayne
The American Radio History archives is an amazing place to visit. I discovered it a year+ ago & always enjoy digging through the articles.

I haven't checked to see if this is in the archives but I do have Stereo Review October '83 with a full review of the Fosgate Tate 101A quad decoder. As Jon said quad in general was dead well before this. But this article did comment on SQ playback & stereo synthesis & not just movie playback. This unit is the last one with a true quadraphonic legacy (excepting the Sansui QSD-1000). Everything that followed including Fosgate's Space Matrix dropped the need to accurately decode any quad format.

I've collected a large number of stereo review mags from the 70's and 80's (along with some audio and Hi fidelity) and love to go through them. When they were current, I looked forward every month to my visit to the newstand and looking through them, then I would go to the library to read them in their entirety. Some of my most enjoyable memories were at those newstands reading about audio gear I couldnt afford. I would buy the issues that contained my favorite adds and put them in plastic page savers, which then went in a notebook (which I still have). Those Pioneer and JBL adds were the bomb! Do you remember Pioneers cassette deck add.."it takes a big beautiful thing like this to get beautiful music out out of something small like this". Those adds are timeless. I was lucky enough to be an SRO in a high school in the 90's and was given nearly the entire decade of the 80's of SR when they were set for disposal. I tried to get the audio mags from our local library (they were hard bound in books -6 months per book) when they were set to be disposed of, but someone got them ahead of me. I did get some 69-71 car mags though (plymouth superbird test and advertisement). Of course, I have some missing issues and this resource is much needed and appreciated..thanks so much!!!

I actually saved (nearly) all of my A/V magazines (starting with my 1st - 1972-01 SR).

I lost 2 and 1 was lost in the mail, I've now downloaded all 3 :)

I recall checking every day at my High School library for the 1974-01 HF (w/CD-4&SQ),
for some reason I didn't buy this issue though, but now I have the whole issue, not
just photocopies of the Quad article.

Kirk Bayne

Back