• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

OOP Jethro Tull SW 5.1

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

uffeolby

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Maybe that's a blessing in disguise if you're refunded. Sound-wise, you are better off with the 2016 bookset. Several glitches were corrected, new transfers done and more songs included. The only downside is that the surround mix isn't in lossless.
All true, I have both sets but still prefer the 5.1 on the blu-ray in the big box.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
All true, I have both sets but still prefer the 5.1 on the blu-ray in the big box.
When Plan9 was speaking about "sound-wise", he was oddly not considering the ultimate (high-res) fidelity of the 5.1 nor the 4.0 mixes, which is what 99.9% of the listeners on this forum are here for. Well, I take that back, he does say "only downside".

I'll take a BluRay surround disc over a V-DVD any day of the year.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
When Plan9 was speaking about "sound-wise", he was oddly not considering the ultimate (high-res) fidelity of the 5.1 nor the 4.0 mixes, which is what 99.9% of the listeners on this forum are here for. Well, I take that back, he does say "only downside".

I'll take a BluRay surround disc over a V-DVD any day of the year.
I'm at work and I don't have the disc here, but IIRC both versions included the 4.0 mixes.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
NOT in the ultimate (high-res) fidelity of lossless BR disc. Nope! V-DVD is lossy was my point.
Im sorry, I misunderstood your post. I realize the DVDV mixes are lossy. I thought you were inferring that the Quad mixes aren't included at all on the DVDV.

One other point, I think 99.9% of the listeners on this site are here for an excellent surround mix, not exclusively for lossless formats. For me anyway, the fact that the format is lossless or not matters much less than if the mix is good quality and if the original sounds were recorded well. Given the choice of course, lossless is certainly preferable.

sfactor23

One other point, I think 99.9% of the listeners on this site are here for an excellent surround mix, not exclusively for lossless formats. For me anyway, the fact that the format is lossless or not matters much less than if the mix is good quality and if the original sounds were recorded well. Given the choice of course, lossless is certainly preferable.
+1

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
When there is a choice, I'd say 99.9% (of surround buyers) are going for lossless.

Plan9

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Last time I compared I also slightly prefered the mastered 5.1 mix on the Blu-Ray, but as for all things stereo there is no contest, the "unmastered" 2016 version it is (and it's without the glitches of the Blu-Ray as well).

The Quad mix is the same transfer on both Blu-Ray and DVD (mastered by Peter Mew).

blitztorte

I see some OOP JT 40th anniv sets available from “Russian Federation” distributor. Is anyone familiar with them? Thanks.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I'd be surprised if they were actually pressed disks and not burned copies.
Why? We have seen thousands of silver pressed CD and DVD sets with "international" manufacturing plants stated. Are burned copies become more of the norm?