Opeth - Garden of the Titans: Live at Red Rocks Blu-ray/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm talking about the Live Blu-Ray now.

The rip is done. From the sound waves it seems that there's activity on the rear channels, Mikael voice in on center channel (with a little leakage of guitar I might add...)

But the 2.0 track is clipped. WTF, no problem with the "Studio Master" stereo download from Qobuz :mad:

Ok, keeping the stereo download and the 5.1 from the Blu-Ray.

Can I just ask about the 5.1 audio options; the cover just states a PCM surround track, is that correct? Thanks!

So this is the Blu-Ray:
1541570567739.png

No bonus with the guys goofing around :cautious:

Thanks for the info antoine, I still haven't had time to rip the blu ray myself. FYI, the blu ray stereo waveform isn't clipped (clipped is when peaks are over 0db). It however is severely brickwalled with compression. The Qobuz looks to be the exact same mastering but just not normalised to the same loudness (when volume matched they should sound identical).

Just popped in the blu ray, video looks pretty good to me from what I sampled. Audio is lossless throughout, whether the 5.1 mix is any good I will find out later. Disappointing to see that the audio is only 16/48. Is the Qobuz download hi res?

Anyway, it kicks serious ass, it’s Opeth, and Deliverance will always kill me with this final drumming riff fest :SB

End of interlude, back to Steven Wilson now :LOL:

Folks,

I've loaded the new Opeth blu ray into my player which tells me it's PCM 5.1, there doesn't appear to be anything coming out of the centre or rears. I've had a few issues with Opeth surround disks in the past, is the blu ray working for everyone else as expected?

Thanks

Folks,

I've loaded the new Opeth blu ray into my player which tells me it's PCM 5.1, there doesn't appear to be anything coming out of the centre or rears. I've had a few issues with Opeth surround disks in the past, is the blu ray working for everyone else as expected?

Thanks
There is occasional center channel activity vocals, and while the surrounds are mostly crowd noise, there is some wrap-around audio from the band. :)

Just popped this in for a listen to the 5.1 PCM. Overall sound quality is great no problems at all, yes there isn't much in the rears, just crowd really, but i'm not a fan of too much being placed there for live mixes. Overall very enjoyable :)

I'm puzzled, there is absolutely nothing coming out of the centre or rears that I can detect???

Actually I've been using HDMI, I just switched to spdif and voila centre and rear, more investigation required...

OK after some messing around with sample rate and bit depth it's now working over HDMI, odd...

Last edited:
I'm puzzled, there is absolutely nothing coming out of the centre or rears that I can detect???

Actually I've been using HDMI, I just switched to spdif and voila centre and rear, more investigation required...

OK after some messing around with sample rate and bit depth it's now working over HDMI, odd...

Im using HDMI over bitstream to my amp and everything seems fine, most of the lead vocal is mixed into the centre, not much in the rears apart from crowd most of the time. What is the amp saying ?, it should be PCM or Multi In if PCM is selected in the audio menu.

Im using HDMI over bitstream to my amp and everything seems fine, most of the lead vocal is mixed into the centre, not much in the rears apart from crowd most of the time. What is the amp saying ?, it should be PCM or Multi In if PCM is selected in the audio menu.
The amp was saying Digital PCM 5.1 both before and after it started working, no idea why the toggling the sample rate and bit depth cleared the fault? Good old Arcam! Overall I think it sounds better in straight stereo, disappointing really...

Managed to finally watch this after falling ill since my last post.

Overall a solid release. The video quality is good and the editing is well done on the most part (no fast cuts), my only issue there is that during most of the growls the camera cuts away completely from Mikael which I found odd.

The 5.1 is pretty good, okay it is not discrete at all but then I don't always expect that with live releases. It has a nice spread across the front and sides, the dynamics are good and the mix is superb. I also didn't find that the surround lacked anything compared to the stereo, in fact it is much more crankable.

The good news is that all audio here is lossless PCM, the bad being it's only 16/48, so no hi res.

Managed to finally watch this after falling ill since my last post.

Overall a solid release. The video quality is good and the editing is well done on the most part (no fast cuts), my only issue there is that during most of the growls the camera cuts away completely from Mikael which I found odd.

The 5.1 is pretty good, okay it is not discrete at all but then I don't always expect that with live releases. It has a nice spread across the front and sides, the dynamics are good and the mix is superb. I also didn't find that the surround lacked anything compared to the stereo, in fact it is much more crankable.

The good news is that all audio here is lossless PCM, the bad being it's only 16/48, so no hi res.
Like is said, I'm not sure there is anything beyond the first 16 bits :D

Anyway, I also like it a lot (in stereo, won't have time for 5.1, right now it's SW time :SB )

Back