Opinions, please - which to keep as I downsize to one quad system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my Marantz much the same way you do...I have the 4140. I love my QRX 9001 also, but it currently has an issue and needs the qrxrestore gang to repair it. All part of the hobby...

I have sold very few pieces over the years, and its fair to say, I generally wish I had not. I went through a phase where it seemed like most of my collection had developed old age issues of one kind or another, and I would get frustrated and threaten to sell them all and just get new modern pieces. But instead I went on a campaign to find qualified folks for each and start getting them repaired. I used Mark Wilson for my McIntosh tuner, Tom Williams for my Marantz gear, a local old school shop for my Phase Linear and QRX Restore for my Sansui AU's. It's not a cheap path, but its a long journey and I save and send them off one at a time.
I guess I'm just sharing to say, every now and then I contrive reasons to sell one piece or another, but in the end I am very happy to have them all when I go through the phase of wanting to listen to this one or that one or another...and sometimes I just love seeing them all powered up in their vintage glory.

I agree with others, keep them both!!!
Wow, LB-V! That is all my precise dilemma and you said it so succinctly. I have been the exact way when I just want to listen and something is awry and needs attention. And then the new stuff looks interesting. But in the end these are beautiful pieces and encased in beautiful wood (I think my LaScala’s are beautiful) and have perfect lighting (not a fan of our newer bright white, probably LED streetlights in the neighborhood either) in perfect blues and some greens and some just nice functional lighting, and they bring the music alive. And, I am never sure I am getting the most of my setup, music-wise, anyway. I know I do not have sandpaper on cd-4, and I have discrete q8s (but the machines make noise that one can hear) yet, it all works out to be enjoyable and rich. And I do love my 2-channel listening for its enjoyment, too (though, despite “upgrade” to newer rega planar 6, I still love my P-25 with mods I was able to do and its rosewood plinth versus the industrial p-6. And the p-25 is under the bed. So, all that to say, thank-you! I am glad I am not the only one with these “dilemmas”. It gives me hope that I can find help when needed to keep them going and working well over time instead of sending them away to a new home. This has all been quite a revelation and now I can have my cake and eat it too, and let go the guilt! Thanks again!
Laura

If your Sansui is one of the later models (QRX-x001) and you have the blend resistors removed, you probably have one of the best decoders out there (barring something like an external surround master.) I've seen the scopes comparing the two and, although the SM is a tiny bit better in the QS department and a smidge more better (is that even a real phrase?) For SQ, I think the differences are negligible. I'd keep the Sansui and get it totally refurbished. :)

If your Sansui is one of the later models (QRX-x001) and you have the blend resistors removed, you probably have one of the best decoders out there (barring something like an external surround master.) I've seen the scopes comparing the two and, although the SM is a tiny bit better in the QS department and a smidge more better (is that even a real phrase?) For SQ, I think the differences are negligible. I'd keep the Sansui and get it totally refurbished. :)
Thanks. It is fully refurbished with holy grail as well and I am keeping it (and the Marantz!). Decision is made and I sure feel great about it now. I appreciate the input.

Back