• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

OPPO 103 Doesn't Recognize SACD Layer of D-V EW&F "Spirit" Disc

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I had a similar problem with the B W Stevenson disc on my Oppo 203. It is set to default to the 5.1 layer of the SACD but I could only get stereo sound. I checked all the settings on the player but they were set correctly and the buttons on the controller had no effect. Eventually I disconnected the player from the mains supply, let it rest for a minute, and then reconnected and everything was back to normal. I've no idea why the player decided to just play the stereo layer but at least now I can enjoy the quad mix again.
Hi @mattB2 -were you playing anything else directly prior to putting in the B W Stevenson disc?

mattB2

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
No, it was first thing in the morning so I was starting up from cold. I did try another Vocalion disc after the first refusal to play the Stevenson surround layer and that played fine but returning to the Stevenson disc it was still stereo. Luckily the disconnection from the mains cleared out whatever bit of memory was causing the problem.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I've been ripping SACDs all week, no problems, then again today I go to rip some SACDs and my OPPO wouldn't read the SACD layer on more discs (B.W. Stevenson; O'Jays "Survival")... got it to read "The Miracles", though and that one's ripping now.... very weird

Ninecats

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I've been ripping SACDs all week, no problems, then again today I go to rip some SACDs and my OPPO wouldn't read the SACD layer on more discs (B.W. Stevenson; O'Jays "Survival")... got it to read "The Miracles", though and that one's ripping now.... very weird
What does the error message say? Simply unknown disc?

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
No error message... it just shows up as a CD and plays the stereo CD layer (the OPPO is set to read the SACD multichannel layer, but it just won't recognize it)
It sounds like the Oppo is having difficulty seeing the SACD layer which is below the CD layer, only thing I can think of is to try cleaning the laser lens (SACD & CD use different frequencies of laser to see the layers) - I had a similar issue with my old Denon before it stopped recognising anything but a CD, and was unrepairable in the end as it had more faults. So I got an Oppo 203.

ar surround

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
All of this newfangled electronic crap is so buggy. Stuff usually has to be unplugged altogether to get the problem to clear. (I had a printer where the unofficial “users group” solution was to leave it unplugged for 2 hours. I tried just an unplug / replug for after a minute but it didn’t work. Then I tried the 2 hour method and that did the trick. I swear there are real AI gremlins living in this stuff!!!)

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Well, after repeatedly trying to play different SACDs at various times, allowing the OPPO to "rest" powered down for various amounts of time, trying older SACDs that play with no problem interspersed with the newer problematic discs, cleaning the discs, cleaning out the player a bit (blowing some air into it, lol), I've managed to rip several more of the latest D-V SACDs. But I still have absolutely no idea what's going on and I'm still having the "non-recognition" of the SACD layer occurring intermittently... unfortunately I'm intimidated by electronic workings, so there's no way I'm going to try opening up the OPPO and cleaning anything directly. I just hope this doesn't eventually lead to a full shut down of my SACD-playing/ripping capabilities... I've got a 203 as a back-up, but I can't rip with that one :(

Werno

Since I haven’t noticed anyone else mention it, Oppo factory service is still alive and well. Last August I sent my venerable DV-970HD to them after going through their online support process and describing its multiple symptoms that included SACD recognition failures. Here’s their response-

“The unit will have to come back to us for an Out of Warranty Repair Service.

Since the player is out of warranty, the out of warranty repair fee is $48.00, which covers parts, labor, and return shipping back to North American addresses.”

It’s back and working 100% again, so I consider $48 plus the cost to ship it to Oppo money well spent.

They charge a flat fee that rises as the model becomes more recent, which I know from having sent my BDP-83 to them a couple years back- I think that ‘flat fee’ was in the neighborhood of $75. I will find out soon if that’s increased because the 83 is having SACD brainfarts and ejecting the disc tray or refusing to eject the disc tray randomly, which is getting old. The Oppo FAQ on the 83 mentions tray issues that are helped, but not eliminated, by always leaving a disc in the tray when it’s turned off. They’re right, it helps, but life’s too short to waste my time playing keep-away with a blu-ray player. Brace yourself, Oppo, incoming.

So long story short, maybe go to the support site and see what Oppo would charge to make you factory-fresh.

esimms86

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since I haven’t noticed anyone else mention it, Oppo factory service is still alive and well. Last August I sent my venerable DV-970HD to them after going through their online support process and describing its multiple symptoms that included SACD recognition failures. Here’s their response-

Since the player is out of warranty, the out of warranty repair fee is $48.00, which covers parts, labor, and return shipping back to North American addresses.”

It’s back and working 100% again, so I consider $48 plus the cost to ship it to Oppo money well spent.

They charge a flat fee that rises as the model becomes more recent, which I know from having sent my BDP-83 to them a couple years back- I think that ‘flat fee’ was in the neighborhood of $75. I will find out soon if that’s increased because the 83 is having SACD brainfarts and ejecting the disc tray or refusing to eject the disc tray randomly, which is getting old. The Oppo FAQ on the 83 mentions tray issues that are helped, but not eliminated, by always leaving a disc in the tray when it’s turned off. They’re right, it helps, but life’s too short to waste my time playing keep-away with a blu-ray player. Brace yourself, Oppo, incoming.

So long story short, maybe go to the support site and see what Oppo would charge to make you factory-fresh.
That’s clearly the solution. Since you have two OPPOs I’d also suggest using the 103 solely for ripping.

boondocks

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star

I did the same with my old 970HD as well recently. Plays SACD-R with a firmware hack so I like to keep it working in case my BDP-80 craps out.

stevedemena

I just hope this doesn't eventually lead to a full shut down of my SACD-playing/ripping capabilities... I've got a 203 as a back-up, but I can't rip with that one :(
Some recent SONY Blu-Ray players can rip SACDs in a way similar to the OPPOs. I got one in December for $70 -
Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (2013 Model)