OPPO 103 Doesn't Recognize SACD Layer of D-V EW&F "Spirit" Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar problem here. My Oppo 103 believes many of the DV SACD’s are CD only. I have hundreds of other SACD’s, the problem only shows up with DV.

Once every 10-20 tries, it works. Tried cleaning, power cycling, all the tricks mentioned above. No joy.

The DV SACD’s work fine in a Sony player. At least I have that as a fallback :)
I had trouble with some DV SACD's with my Pioneer DV-45A. As I recall the player wouldn't recognise the disc at all. I have had no similar problem with any other labels discs. I haven't encountered any problems with my Oppo BDP-103 as of yet. I would however suggest ripping the SACD's and playing the .dsf files via a USB hard drive or thumb drive.
I guess that won't work if you try to use the 103 to rip the disc. I bought a Sony BDP-S5100 for less than $50.00 long before I got the 103 and still use it almost exclusively for ripping discs.

I would rather play the rips via the Oppo than cause wear and tear of the Oppos drive system; although the Oppo is much more robust than other players! I find that playing the rips to be much more convenient than playing the discs themselves.

I had trouble with some DV SACD's with my Pioneer DV-45A. As I recall the player wouldn't recognise the disc at all. I have had no similar problem with any other labels discs. I haven't encountered any problems with my Oppo BDP-103 as of yet. I would however suggest ripping the SACD's and playing the .dsf files via a USB hard drive or thumb drive.
I guess that won't work if you try to use the 103 to rip the disc. I bought a Sony BDP-S5100 for less than $50.00 long before I got the 103 and still use it almost exclusively for ripping discs.

I would rather play the rips via the Oppo than cause wear and tear of the Oppos drive system; although the Oppo is much more robust than other players! I find that playing the rips to be much more convenient than playing the discs themselves.
Thanks, good suggestion and that’s almost exactly the solution I ended up with, except I play the ripped files from a NAS instead of a USB device!

I have an Oppo BDP-103 as well as the D-V Earth Wind & Fire SACD in question and immediately tested the combination when I read this. It played the surround layer immediately, no problems. I remember initially having to go through a set-up to get it to default to surround as well as to send PCM rather than DSD to my Onkyo receiver, which doesn't allow playback of DSD surround mixes. Sam

Back