OPPO 103 Doesn't Recognize SACD Layer of D-V EW&F "Spirit" Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I hate to ask for help, but I'm stumped. I wanted to enjoy my new Dutton-Vocalion Earth, Wind & Fire "Spirit" SACD this morning, but my OPPO 103 only recognizes the RBCD layer. When I hit the "Audio" button on the remote to change layers, there are no SACD options available. My OPPO "Playback Setup" settings are set to "SACD Priority - Multi-Channel". When I play the disc, I can only get CD-quality stereo.
I put in my D-V "Booger Bear" SACD afterwards, and the quad SACD layer plays fine; went back to the EW&F and it still only recognizes the CD layer. I've turned it on and off, but no improvement.

Ideas anyone? 😬

Edit: OK, I just tried it again, and now it works. WTF?! Has anyone experienced this? I'm just glad I can rip it now and never have to play the disc again.

Last edited:
I hate to ask for help, but I'm stumped. I wanted to enjoy my new Dutton-Vocalion Earth, Wind & Fire "Spirit" SACD this morning, but my OPPO 103 only recognizes the RBCD layer. When I hit the "Audio" button on the remote to change layers, there are no SACD options available. My OPPO "Playback Setup" settings are set to "SACD Priority - Multi-Channel". When I play the disc, I can only get CD-quality stereo.
I put in my D-V "Booger Bear" SACD afterwards, and the quad SACD layer plays fine; went back to the EW&F and it still only recognizes the CD layer. I've turned it on and off, but no improvement.

Ideas anyone? 😬

Edit: OK, I just tried it again, and now it works. WTF?! Has anyone experienced this?
It may be one of those memory glitches that need to clear out somehow; I've had similar things happen on my oppo 205 also. Usually changing discs and then going back to the other disc fixes it.

Ideas anyone? 😬

Edit: OK, I just tried it again, and now it works. WTF?! Has anyone experienced this? I'm just glad I can rip it now and never have to play the disc again.
The Oppo had a hangover but is sobering up now?

Ideas anyone? 😬

No explanation, Sean--and I don't yet have Spirit in my hands. But I'll say that it's happened with more than one recent D-V title that my Sony UPB-X800 would not recognize it at all, while my Oppo 103 would. So that's no help.

Last edited:
Thank you all for responding... hopefully this issue doesn't become a trend with my machine. Maybe it's some kind of a problem with the part that reads discs (I don't know what you call it... "laser head"? (ha ha))... maybe it needs to be cleaned?

I think it's a good idea to try and clean the laser. My Pioneer DV-45A does this with 360 Degrees of Billy Paul.

Sean, I totally hate that when anything gets a bug, completely freaks me out, I notice when things happen to Gene he is like me. Ripping to a digital file as fast as I can is my only help. My Mcintosh multi player won't even play SACD at all anymore, I could ship to Seattle to get fixed but I rely on my designated ripper OPPO 105 so I am not bothered the McIntosh still plays all the other discs.
It took me a couple years to set up my current system and I knew it very intimately but now if something happened, my biggest fear, I am afraid I would forget how I set it up.

Thank you all for responding... hopefully this issue doesn't become a trend with my machine. Maybe it's some kind of a problem with the part that reads discs (I don't know what you call it... "laser head"? (ha ha))... maybe it needs to be cleaned?
Wonder if a cat, dog, hamster, person hair or lint got in there?
*Sorry Sean, couldn't find the Hi-Res version 🤠

Ideas anyone? 😬

Sometimes what works with disc players is to leave the disc in the player, turn it off and on, and when the player is rebooted, the disc is recognized as well.
I have Spirit, but copied the DSD 64 Stereo & DSD 64 Multichannel from the SACD (with the Oppo 105) to files before playing them on the DACs here.

Recently in my oppo I tried to play dvd 1 of Beatles anthology. Got a weird error message several times would not load then went on to play volume 2 although it had a few glitches slow downs towards the end. Afterwards put volume 1 in and it was recognized. Skipped around and it played.
However it could be that these DVDs are deteriorating too.

I have a feeling that in the future only our vinyl records will continue to play.......but I will be too old to get up and flip the disc.

Seriously though; what worked best on mine is to take out the disc that's not playing, turn off the unit, restart and then play a different format disc like DVD-A or Blu-ray, then switch back to the SACD. That tends to work every time- at least for me. Sometimes it does get very hairy and flakey (technical terms!)

I have a feeling that in the future only our vinyl records will continue to play.......but I will be too old to get up and flip the disc.

Before the stylus wears out those LPs, time to convert them to music files.... :)

88b9ade2ac97ca090024245a6699744d

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/112762/Sony-USB_PS-HX500_USB_Hi-Res_Turntable-Turntables

I think it's a good idea to try and clean the laser. My Pioneer DV-45A does this with 360 Degrees of Billy Paul.
My DV-45A does the same on several of the newer DV discs, I believe it's a firmware problem but no updates from Pioneer, that I know of. Cleaning doesn't fix the problem. I actually have 3 of the same player (found good deals on eBay) and all have the same problem with the same discs. There are at least two other threads about this issue here and some on the Steve Hoffman site.

Seriously though; what worked best on mine is to take out the disc that's not playing, turn off the unit, restart and then play a different format disc like DVD-A or Blu-ray, then switch back to the SACD. That tends to work every time- at least for me. Sometimes it does get very hairy and flakey (technical terms!)
I'll try the "switch-a-roo" next time... thanks!

Sometimes...with brand new discs, my Sony X800 will say no disc. These can be in any surround format.
My solution is to take it out , give it a good wipe and reinsert it.
As if by magic, the disc suddenly shows up correctly and plays fine.
There must be some type of ultra fine film on these discs when manufactured, that reacts to initial readings.
Dont know enough about the disc making process, to throw any more light on this phenomena.

Tried the disc in and a on/off. Still a no go. Oh well. Now if it wouldn't play DVD's or Blu rays then I would have to get it fixed. Thank the lord for musical files, really the only way to go, I don't think I could ever go back?

I have two Pioneer DV-578A universal players that weren't playing some DVD-A cleanly. I called a Pioneer repair center that's near me and they said they had a firmware update that they could install since this player doesn't allow the user to upgrade firmware. It fixed the problem (and it wasn't free). That might work for the DV-45A, too. Call a repair center.

Back