OPPO 103 Doesn't Recognize SACD Layer of D-V EW&F "Spirit" Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was having problems with my BDP-80 a year or so ago, skipping on of all things DTS-CD's. A good samaritan on AVS forum suggested I clean the laser. I carefully did so 'cause I could just see myself screwing something up....but after that no problems!
Sean I know this in no way replicates your problem, but I figure every little bit helps.
Incidentally I asked the Oppo service folks how much to "freshen up" my unit and they said just wait until it quits. :confused:
I love this thing because it loads faster than my 103 and plays anything.

Hi, all. I just saw this and am responding before reading all. I cannot seem to play the Miracles stereo tracks (songs 9-16 on the Love Crazy/Miracles disk. I tried it in both my oppo 980h and BDP-203. I emailed them and am waiting to hear. It is as if those songs are not there. They do not show up in the menu when I put it in the oppo203, which I can see on the tv screen because it is hdmi connected whereas my 980h is connected to my all vintage quad setup - no tv connection. My EWF disk played fine. Hope there will be some answers. I will try some remedies mentioned here in the meantime and the DV customer service guy said he knew of no problems, but would check and get back with me. I wasn’t going to post here until they got a chance to look into it, but see there may be something going on (unless my issue is different since it is only in stereo and is totally absent. For me, the whole Love Crazy album played great, but then just ends. Thanks for starting this - always helpful!

It is as if those songs are not there. They do not show up in the menu when I put it in the oppo203, which I can see on the tv screen because it is hdmi connected whereas my 980h is connected to my all vintage quad setup - no tv connection.

Most SACD players have a "priority" setting that determines whether the multichannel or stereo layer is what plays off the disc by default. It sounds like yours is set to multi (as it should be ;)), but if you want to hear the stereo-only portion of the disc, you'll unfortunately need to hook up a TV and go into the settings menu.

It should look like this on the 203:
sacd priority oppo.jpeg

Most SACD players have a "priority" setting that determines whether the multichannel or stereo layer is what plays off the disc by default. It sounds like yours is set to multi (as it should be ;)), but if you want to hear the stereo-only portion of the disc, you'll unfortunately need to hook up a TV and go into the settings menu.

View attachment 45632
Hmm, I thought the SACD Priority should be set to Stereo, unless I'm thinking of something else?

Hmm, I thought the SACD Priority should be set to Stereo, unless I'm thinking of something else?

Nay, Pupster unless you just want it to play the Stereo layer of your SACDs. Of course, with those D~V titles which offer both QUAD/Stereo on the same discs, one would have to reprogram the OPPO to then play the SACD stereo layer. I just pop it into one of my Marantz SACD Stereo players [which actually does sound much better than the OPPO's stereo SACD mode].

Last edited:

View attachment 45632
Geez! That could be it. I do know I have the default to multi-channel priority. I will check it on both units.

Nay, Pupster unless you just want it to play the Stereo layer of your SACDs. Of course, with those D~V titles which offer both QUAD/Stereo on the same discs, one would have to reprogram the OPPO to then play the SACD stereo layer. I just pop it into one of my Marantz SACD Stereo players [which actually does sound better than the OPPO's stereo SACD mode].
I thought that was exactly her situation? I also could be confusing the menus with my Denon DVD-3910 which you have to switch a menu setting to see those D-V stereo secondary tracks.

I thought that was exactly her situation? I also could be confusing the menus with my Denon DVD-3910 which you have to switch a menu setting to see those D-V stereo secondary tracks.

It is a bit of a hassle with those D~V QUAD/STEREO COMBO discs ..... Too bad, Michael doesn't confine the QUAD only to one disc and the stereo to another but he IS a stickler at making the most out of each disc's 80 minute capacity ..... and saving us money in the process.

A few Jacintha discs which tote both mch/stereo on one SACD are another example. If you insert it into the OPPO and there are 6 5.1 cuts and 6 Stereo cuts, the OPPO will only skip to the mch cuts. Frustrating as hell!

It is a bit of a hassle with those D~V QUAD/STEREO COMBO discs ..... Too bad, Michael doesn't confine the QUAD only to one disc and the stereo to another but he IS a stickler at making the most out of each disc's 80 minute capacity ..... and saving us money in the process.
It's really an easy switch over once you've done it, full steam ahead Ralphie!

I believe it’s important to ask, what had gone on before that disc wouldn’t play? It’s also important, not to say, “bad disc or title”, because it may only be a function of prior circumstances on the machine that caused the problem. Will it happen with that particular disc ever again?

When I want to switch the audio on my SACD multichannel/SACD stereo/RBCD I have to push twice on the stop button before my Pioneer BDP450 changes audio.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A500FU met Tapatalk

[/QUOTE
I'm not familiar with the Denon DVD-3910 but My Denon DVD-2900 has a SACD menu button on the front panel that can toggle between the cd layer, SACD stereo layer or the multi channel layer. No need for a video monitor. Comes in real handy on all those DV discs.

Hi, all. I just saw this and am responding before reading all. I cannot seem to play the Miracles stereo tracks (songs 9-16 on the Love Crazy/Miracles disk. I tried it in both my oppo 980h and BDP-203. I emailed them and am waiting to hear. It is as if those songs are not there. They do not show up in the menu when I put it in the oppo203, which I can see on the tv screen because it is hdmi connected whereas my 980h is connected to my all vintage quad setup - no tv connection. My EWF disk played fine. Hope there will be some answers. I will try some remedies mentioned here in the meantime and the DV customer service guy said he knew of no problems, but would check and get back with me. I wasn’t going to post here until they got a chance to look into it, but see there may be something going on (unless my issue is different since it is only in stereo and is totally absent. For me, the whole Love Crazy album played great, but then just ends. Thanks for starting this - always helpful!

hi Quadgirl 😊
on your remote control there is a round button marked "Audio", located below the navigation cluster in the centre of the remote (circled in red in the pic)

each press of the audio button should cycle between Surround SACD > Stereo SACD > CD Audio on the SACD.

F2E62387-DD97-4663-91B5-65109C4E6BCF.jpeg

hi Quadgirl 😊
on your remote control there is a round button marked "Audio", located below the navigation cluster in the centre of the remote (circled in red in the pic)

each press of the audio button should cycle between Surround SACD > Stereo SACD > CD Audio on the SACD.

View attachment 45645
and the Blue button masher from across the pond comes through with the SLAM DUNK! :hi

I had a similar problem with the B W Stevenson disc on my Oppo 203. It is set to default to the 5.1 layer of the SACD but I could only get stereo sound. I checked all the settings on the player but they were set correctly and the buttons on the controller had no effect. Eventually I disconnected the player from the mains supply, let it rest for a minute, and then reconnected and everything was back to normal. I've no idea why the player decided to just play the stereo layer but at least now I can enjoy the quad mix again.

Back