Oppo 103 help please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a BDP-93 and I'm pretty sure the volume control is analog but it has a digital control (probably an e-pot). Also, a digital volume control, if it's controlling the reference voltage to the DAC, reduces the resolution of the bit depth, it does not reduce the sampling rate.

There is a Wiki for OPPO products, wiki.oppodigital.com.

I have a BDP-93 and I'm pretty sure the volume control is analog but it has a digital control (probably an e-pot). Also, a digital volume control, if it's controlling the reference voltage to the DAC, reduces the resolution of the bit depth, it does not reduce the sampling rate.

There is a Wiki for OPPO products, wiki.oppodigital.com.

Oppo 93 has a digital volume control which does indeed reduce the bit depth. Oppo recommend against using the volume control on the 93, 103, 103D and 203. One of the benefits of the better DACs on the 95, 105, 105D and 205 is it has more bit depth to play with so the volume control degrades sound quality less.

Quick question as to lazy to search. Can you plug in a 8 tb external into a 103 and would it work for playing flac files? I have a 2tb and 4 tb that work but couldn't remember if there is a size limit with the oppo for what can work.

Quick question as to lazy to search. Can you plug in a 8 tb external into a 103 and would it work for playing flac files? I have a 2tb and 4 tb that work but couldn't remember if there is a size limit with the oppo for what can work.
Nothing in my user manual about HDD size, only a warning that some HDDs require more current than the 1A that the USB port can provide.

Nothing in my user manual about HDD size, only a warning that some HDDs require more current than the 1A that the USB port can provide.
Might be worth an email to oppo about external size. My 4tb plays fine but I would be interested to know about the current issue. I guess if the external is powered by AC there is no limit to the size? I'm using a 203 now but my 103 had no issues.

If what I've read is correct (and my memory holds- more of a growing concern every day...) there is a 4 tb limit- but not to total size of hdd, only to size of the partitions. So you'd just need two 4tb partitions on an 8tb drive.

I've been very happy with my western digital externals. I have a 4 and a 10tb though of course you don't get that amount of storage.

Wondered if the 'Split A/V' setting actually segregates video and audio to HDMI 1 and 2 respectively.

Turns out it's supposed to, but only if you're using both HDMI outputs, this is what the manual says:

"2. Dual HDMI Output: Allows you to select the output mode when both HDMI Output ports are in use. If only one HDMI Output is active, this selection will not apply. [So I guess this isn' your problem since you're only using one output?]
x Split A/V (recommended) – Use HDMI 1 OUT as the dedicated video output port and HDMI 2 OUT as the dedicated audio output port. Th is setting will ensure the best possible picture quality and the highest possible audio resolution.
Sorry to hijack/necrobump this old thread, but I wanted to check with other 10X owners about this. On my 103D, I have HDMI 1 running to my TV and HDMI 2 running to my A/V receiver. With Split A/V engaged, while audio is sent over only HDMI 2, video is sent over both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. My understanding was that with Split A/V engaged, only a blank black video signal would be sent over HDMI 2, but this appears to not be the case. Is this true for anyone else? Or do you just get a black screen via HDMI 2 with Split A/V engaged?

Hmm. So the 103 manual says video will be better through HDMI 1 because of the QDEO (?) processor. But it does not say that video will NOT be sent over HDMI 2. I would say just take it on face value, the better video would be on HDMI 1 even though it is sent over both.

Even though a 16TB partition seems to be the maximum size for the Oppo I stick to 4TB maximum drives on my Oppo 103. Only because if there is a crash I don't want to deal with having to rebuild a larger drive with my backups. Now my backup drives are larger but they only get attached to my Windows 10 computer.

Hmm. So the 103 manual says video will be better through HDMI 1 because of the QDEO (?) processor. But it does not say that video will NOT be sent over HDMI 2. I would say just take it on face value, the better video would be on HDMI 1 even though it is sent over both.

I get video on both but I don't recall the settings I used. I no longer connect to two displays on the Oppo but I remember it working well.

Not sure if this helps or not but FWIW:

Unofficial OPPO BDP-103 Frequently Asked Questions

1610765643795.png

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players

1610765980131.png

1610765905129.png

Back