Oppo 203 Firmware Update Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I bought an Oppo BDP-203 a few weeks before Oppo announced they were going to stop producing blu-ray players. (Really great timing on my part.) It sat unused in its box until about a week ago when I completed re-configuring my entire A/V system. After allowing the player access to the internet, it is asking if I want to update the firmware to version UDP20X-65-0131. (I have firmware update notification turned on, but not auto-update.) My question: Have any of you 203 owners updated to this firmware version and, if so, have you experienced any negative results?
I no longer allow firmware updates to anything without exploring what is being update and what possible consequences will be incurred. (That's why my Oppo BDP-93 will never see the internet - it still plays SACD-Rs and ISO based blu-rays.) I don't know what other features the studios may be demanding manufactures to "lock out", so that is why I am asking. I don't want to trade, for example, a bit better 4k performance (that my TV can't use) to lose a feature, function or format ability I do use.

The patches for the 203 and 205 just addressed bugs and other issues. Nothing else was tampered with. I'd recommend updating the firmware. I'm speaking strictly as an owner and not some sort of Oppo authority (I sold my 203 a while back but still have the 205.)

I'm fully updated on mine and have no complaints (yet).

One thing I need to investigate is whether it will play an MKV made from a Blu-ray infected with Cinavia. I have a copy of the allegedly-infected "Total Recall" remake to use as a test.

(Not stealing content, I just prefer to rip anything from Netflix and play that before once again finding halfway through that I have a damaged disc.)

Thanks, MCDave. It looks like the upgrade is mainly about "Dolby Vision" for 4K TVs (I have neither) and much of it applies only to the 205 model. This statement doesn't make me hit the "install" button though: "Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. " That's the same wording used when they were forced to lock out some formats. ( Defeating Cinavia blockers, perhaps?) I will probably download the firmware update to have it on hand if I absolutely have to have it at some point, but for now the player is performing outstanding. As they say, "If it ain't broke...." Thanks for your input.

I bought an Oppo BDP-203 a few weeks before Oppo announced they were going to stop producing blu-ray players. (Really great timing on my part.) It sat unused in its box until about a week ago when I completed re-configuring my entire A/V system. After allowing the player access to the internet, it is asking if I want to update the firmware to version UDP20X-65-0131. (I have firmware update notification turned on, but not auto-update.) My question: Have any of you 203 owners updated to this firmware version and, if so, have you experienced any negative results?
I no longer allow firmware updates to anything without exploring what is being update and what possible consequences will be incurred. (That's why my Oppo BDP-93 will never see the internet - it still plays SACD-Rs and ISO based blu-rays.) I don't know what other features the studios may be demanding manufactures to "lock out", so that is why I am asking. I don't want to trade, for example, a bit better 4k performance (that my TV can't use) to lose a feature, function or format ability I do use.
Hey Wagonmaster_91,
About the 203 firmware. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront. I too have a 203 that I don't use ( ..spare/backup player) & my firmware was an older one.
Updated to the .....-0131 version with no problems.
I agree with you about the auto-update thing. I don't like it either!
I've had some printers ( Lexmark) that were very deceitful in their firmware update approach. Printer would only work afterwards with 'Lexmark' brand RFID chips on cartridges.
Oppo appears to be more trust worthy in their 'fixes, etc.'.

I agree. Any time an update has removed functionality, they have been up front about it, or at least answered honestly when asked.

Which made them almost unique in the AV market. Such a shame they withdrew from the market. I'd buy a brand new 205 from them tomorrow if they re-entered the market.

I agree that Oppo's support department is always friendly, helpful and honest. I have no beef with them. In nearly every case where they removed a feature or format ability it was because movie studios, record labels or format developers forced them to by threatening Oppo's licensing. (And it was to all blu-ray manufactures, not just Oppo.) For example, they were very honest with me about having to lockout SACD-R and ISO based blu-ray during the BDP-93 model life. They even told what firmware to look for in a used model to get those features. Unique indeed.

I agree that Oppo's support department is always friendly, helpful and honest. I have no beef with them. In nearly every case where they removed a feature or format ability it was because movie studios, record labels or format developers forced them to by threatening Oppo's licensing. (And it was to all blu-ray manufactures, not just Oppo.) For example, they were very honest with me about having to lockout SACD-R and ISO based blu-ray during the BDP-93 model life. They even told what firmware to look for in a used model to get those features. Unique indeed.

I'll sign on to everything good said about Oppo. My only complaint is that in one instance--when SACD-R playback capability was removed from the 103/105--I only discovered the change after the fact. And it was a rather consequential change: at the time, it had the effect of rendering about half of my multi-channel music collection unplayable. (Luckily, I still had a functioning 980H, as well.)

It was probably my fault, in the end: if, before hitting the "update" button, I'd gone to the Oppo website and read the fine print , I'd never have installed it. But since Oppo had never before, to my knowledge, used a firmware upgrade to disable a major feature, I had no reason to suspect what was coming, so I felt blindsided. When I called to report my problem, the support staff were sympathetic and apologetic, and they even offered a solution: if I sent in the machine, I would be allowed to "revert" to the old firmware one time. The price: henceforth I would be ineligible for any further warranty support. I chose to stand pat--and that's when I bought a couple of big external hard drives and began to learn about ripping....

Last edited:
I'll sign on to everything good said about Oppo. My only complaint is that in one instance--when SACD-R playback capability was removed from the 103/105--I only discovered the change after the fact. And it was a rather consequential change: at the time, it had the effect of rendering about half of my multi-channel music collection unplayable. (Luckily, I still had a functioning 980H, as well.)

It was probably my fault, in the end: if, before hitting the "update" button, I'd gone to the Oppo website and read the fine print , I'd never have installed it. But since Oppo had never before, to my knowledge, used a firmware upgrade to disable a major feature, I had no reason to suspect what was coming, so I felt blindsided. When I called to report my problem, the support staff were sympathetic and apologetic, and they even offered a solution: if I sent in the machine, I would be allowed to "revert" to the old firmware one time. The price: henceforth I would be ineligible for any further warranty support. I chose to stand pat--and that's when I bought a couple of big external hard drives and began to learn about ripping....
I’m considering a firmware upgrade for my Oppo 103. I’ve read some people older post that mention a software upgrade kit that you can buy on eBay. I primarily want region free capabilities

If you're looking to go further and "jailbreak" your 103 go to Oppo-JB.com. It will disable scripting, though, which means you won't be able to rip SACD's, if that matters to you.

Last edited:
You sound like me, I also bought a 203 at the last minute and I tend to buy things then put them in the closet and sometimes wait years before I pull them out and utilize them. I like to get as much use out of the old as possible. Just bought the Magnatar 900 Universal player. Did I need it? No, but I wanted an equivalent back up if my Oppo goes, and prices only go up.

You sound like me, I also bought a 203 at the last minute and I tend to buy things then put them in the closet and sometimes wait years before I pull them out and utilize them. I like to get as much use out of the old as possible. Just bought the Magnatar 900 Universal player. Did I need it? No, but I wanted an equivalent back up if my Oppo goes, and prices only go up.
Why the 900 instead of the 800?

A review I read said the improvements were impressive. I like the design too. I’m quite aware it is a bit excessive but I like the idea of a player that plays everything and they seem to be few and far between and costly anyway. So a good back up, or use and retire my oldest Oppo for a back up.

A review I read said the improvements were impressive. I like the design too. I’m quite aware it is a bit excessive but I like the idea of a player that plays everything and they seem to be few and far between and costly anyway. So a good back up, or use and retire my oldest Oppo for a back up.
No streaming like the 800?

Back