oppo 205 5.1 plus stereo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyber 1

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Question I'm currently running the 205 as 5.1 rca to my AVR system (HDMI set for Video only) and I was not sure on if it's possible to also hook up the stereo rca outputs to my pre-amp for my stereo system with full range speakers (no sub).
So how do I go about doing this to take advantage of the better dac on the dedicated stereo outputs?
the manual is saying:

Stereo Signal: To select the audio source that will be processed and sent out through the STEREO and the XLR BALANCED STEREO audio terminals. The available options are:

1) Down-mixed Stereo (default) – The stereo or down-mixed stereo signals are processed and sent out from the dedicated stereo output terminals.

2) Front Left/Right – The original Front Left (FL) and Front Right (FR) signals are sent out from the dedicated stereo output terminals. The purpose is to fully utilise the better DAC hardware originally assigned to the dedicated stereo outputs for customers who prefer multichannel speakers and do not need the dedicated stereo output or zone 2 output. When this option is selected, the dedicated stereo output ports should be used as the Front outputs of the 7.1ch / 5.1ch / Stereo Audio group. The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be connected.

So how do I do this and still have the 5.1 rca's hooked up and also the 2 stereo rca's always hooked up? If I use #1 with a stereo SACD disk is it only being processed in the 2 better dac's or is it being processed in the 2 of the multi channel dac's?

also just wanted to make sure I did'nt make a mistake in anyway after reading "The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be connected."
So I will be ok with the planned hook up of all the rca's if I use #1?

I was under the impression that the two stereo channels (FL/FR) always are outputted.
  • In the 7.1/5.1 output RCA terminals you get what actually is in the FL/FR channels
  • In the dedicated stereo RCA/XLR you get a downmix if there are more than two channels in the source, otherwise you get the true stereo signal

I was under the impression that the two stereo channels (FL/FR) always are outputted.
  • In the 7.1/5.1 output RCA terminals you get what actually is in the FL/FR channels
  • In the dedicated stereo RCA/XLR you get a downmix if there are more than two channels in the source, otherwise you get the true stereo signal

no, the it depends on if you set the stereo to the down mix option or to Front Left/Right option and if that is done then you must unplug the 2 FL/FR from the multi ch section

I might be misunderstanding the question, but if you want the better dedicated FL/FR stereo DACs that will also automatically switch to 5.1, just follow the #2 directions (you won't be using the standard multi-channel RCA FL/FR outputs.) If you need to connect the dedicated stereo outputs to an additional pre-amp, you probably will need a passive RCA analog switcher to toggle back and forth between the AVR and pre-amp.

I guess I'm not being clear, I was trying to "if" possible run the 2 dedicated rca out's to a complete separate system,
Here is the proposed idea the 5.1 system is matched speakers FL/FR and SL/SR are matched sets, 6 rca out to the AVR for surround analog inputs, one complete system, (aka the surround system).
Second system (aka the stereo system) T table, pre-amp, amp, and 2 completely different speakers, those 2 speakers are nothing like the surround speakers in the AVR surround system.
As you propose (#2 directions) it would still require unplugging the FL/FR from the 205 which I don't want to do.
I would like if possible the ability to as send Hi rez stereo out to the pre-amp via the 205 dedicated 2 ch dac's to the stereo system per-amp inputs

guess the real question was if there was a setting or a way to do in the 205 without introducing another link in the chain, via switch box ect , which adds color , noise ect.
Think I know the answer but worth a shot

Use #1 directions: set Stereo Signal to Down-mixed stereo. Send the stereo rca's to the second system. Send the 6 rca to the AVR. You can keep the FL/FR plugged in. The only downside is that the FL/FR will not use the 2 chn dac's. Also note that with this setup the 2 chn rca's are unaffected by the Speaker configuration settings for the 6 channel setup. The 2 chn rca's will be large, equidistant, and with 0dB volume trim regardless of the settings in Speaker Configuration.

Use #1 directions: set Stereo Signal to Down-mixed stereo. Send the stereo rca's to the second system. Send the 6 rca to the AVR. You can keep the FL/FR plugged in. The only downside is that the FL/FR will not use the 2 chn dac's. Also note that with this setup the 2 chn rca's are unaffected by the Speaker configuration settings for the 6 channel setup. The 2 chn rca's will be large, equidistant, and with 0dB volume trim regardless of the settings in Speaker Configuration.

That is what I thought, I was just unsure if in the #1 setting being a "Down mix/stereo" if that would introduce unwanted processing into the signal before being output to the rca's.
As for "the 2 chn rca's are unaffected by the Speaker configuration settings for the 6 channel setup. The 2 chn rca's will be large, equidistant, and with 0dB volume trim regardless of the settings in Speaker Configuration".
That is what I want , no trim or any other processing. The stereo system is primarily for vinyl analog use, just want to add the 205 into the secondary set of inputs on the pre-amp for my my SACD stereo disc's
to take advantage of the much better speaker and amp combo.
THANKS

Back