Oppo 205 for HD quality 5.1 audio from streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Perhaps I am behind the eight ball on this topic, but I was unaware of the ability of the Oppo 205 to decode streamed 5.1 HD audio and ouput it via its multi-channel analog outputs.

We bought a new 4K TV last month and got Disney+. This app has many titles in 4K HDR with 5.1 and Dolby Vision with Atmos:

Dis.jpg

My particular TV sees the Dolby Vision stream. I was hoping for plain 'ole Dolby Digital 5.1 via the optical output from the TV, but that isn't offered according to Disney+. Ugh, "There's got to be a way," I said to myself.

So I tried connecting this thing on the TV called HDMI ARC (ARC = Audio Return Channel) to the HDMI Input of the Oppo 205 but no dice. Then I noticed while going through the input menu on the 205 that it also had an ARC option:

Oppo Input Selection.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmm. Although counterintuitive, I connected the HDMI (ARC) from the TV directly to the HDMI output of the 205. I selected the ARC:HDMI OUT input on the 205 and it started working its magic. First it gave me this screen:

IMG_20191209_105757836.jpg

I selected the Disney+ app and the 205 then did this all on its own. Is this cool or what::

IMG_20191209_105853811.jpg

And now I am getting high-quality 5.1 audio decoded via the 205's analog outputs. I don't know if the Oppo is seeing the Dolby TrueHD stream in the Atmos feed or some other 5.1 animal; but it sure sounds way better than Dolby Digital. Happy Happy Joy Joy! :rocks:rocks:rocks:SG:SG:SG

(For the multitudes out there that already knew this was possible, thank you for your patience.)

Perhaps I am behind the eight ball on this topic, but I was unaware of the ability of the Oppo 205 to decode streamed 5.1 HD audio and ouput it via its multi-channel analog outputs.

We bought a new 4K TV last month and got Disney+. This app has many titles in 4K HDR with 5.1 and Dolby Vision with Atmos:

View attachment 44513

My particular TV sees the Dolby Vision stream. I was hoping for plain 'ole Dolby Digital 5.1 via the optical output from the TV, but that isn't offered according to Disney+. Ugh, "There's got to be a way," I said to myself.

So I tried connecting this thing on the TV called HDMI ARC (ARC = Audio Return Channel) to the HDMI Input of the Oppo 205 but no dice. Then I noticed while going through the input menu on the 205 that it also had an ARC option:

View attachment 44512

Hmmmmmmmmm. Although counterintuitive, I connected the HDMI (ARC) from the TV directly to the HDMI output of the 205. I selected the ARC:HDMI OUT input on the 205 and it started working its magic. First it gave me this screen:

View attachment 44514

I selected the Disney+ app and the 205 then did this all on its own. Is this cool or what::

View attachment 44515

And now I am getting high-quality 5.1 audio decoded via the 205's analog outputs. I don't know if the Oppo is seeing the Dolby TrueHD stream in the Atmos feed or some other 5.1 animal; but it sure sounds way better than Dolby Digital. Happy Happy Joy Joy! :rocks:rocks:rocks:SG:SG:SG

(For the multitudes out there that already knew this was possible, thank you for your patience.)
Hmm, I'll need to study what all you've put out here, I just started watching The Mandalorian through a ROKU stick plugged into the back of my 205; and have been using Toslink out to my receiver. I felt the surround of the show was OK but nothing special. I do have analog outs to my receiver (and HDMI for the video to my TV) which I use most of the time; but I may be limited to what the ROKU stick will output?

Hmm, I'll need to study what all you've put out here, I just started watching The Mandalorian through a ROKU stick plugged into the back of my 205; and have been using Toslink out to my receiver. I felt the surround of the show was OK but nothing special. I do have analog outs to my receiver (and HDMI for the video to my TV) which I use most of the time; but I may be limited to what the ROKU stick will output?

Try watching Star Wars I, The Phantom Menace. I know that movie has excellent surround effects on my system when I let the Oppo do the surround sound decoding. Toslink from my 4K TV to the receiver on both The Mandalorian and Phantom Menace was only giving me stereo. Apparently, Disney+ does not support surround sound via Toslink:

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=04c9f294db4d40d03c0cf158bf9619f5

Try watching Star Wars I, The Phantom Menace. I know that movie has excellent surround effects on my system when I let the Oppo do the surround sound decoding. Toslink from my 4K TV to the receiver on both The Mandalorian and Phantom Menace was only giving me stereo. Apparently, Disney+ does not support surround sound via Toslink:

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=04c9f294db4d40d03c0cf158bf9619f5
Not sure yet, but my Marantz receiver was showing a 5.1 input (but I was so engrossed in the show "The Mandalorian"-which is excellent BTW) that I didn't actually check my center and rears.
So how is the Surround on "The Mandalorian"?

I'll need to check my setup tonight. Been killing me to get no surround on the Mandalorian. I have an Oppo 103, but it does support ARC.
Sounds promising... thanks for the heads up!

Both my Denon AVRs have HDMI ARC Return inputs for my two Sony TVs and I’m getting 5.1 from TV stations and apps (Netflix, Amazon and a Sports streaming app). This also gets Atmos if the show has it).

First words from the Mandalorian - "I can bring you in warm, or I can bring you in cold!"
He also will accept a fob and forgo a puck for the right price.

Checked my sound via the 205 with HDMI In -ROKU stick; and out either Toslink or Analog direct to Marantz 8500 receiver:

For me I believe its 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus at 48k either way (that's what the oppo says it is.) Probably limited to my ROKU stick specs., not sure what Disney + pushes on this show. The Mandalorian seems to be focused on mostly center channel for me (seems like a conservative mix in the rears)
Tried "The Phantom Menace" also, and it was much more aggressive in the rears.

Now if someone can please direct me to a rear tube?

The lack of 5.1 over optical must be a fluke of your system. It works just fine on mine. I'm running Disney+ on an XBOX One, connected via HDMI to a Samsung TV, with optical audio out to an older Yamaha receiver (which is 5.1 PCM-or-DSD-over-HDMI capable, but without DTS or Dolby lossless decoders). The receiver detects and decodes the Dolby stream just fine.

So how is the Surround on "The Mandalorian"?

It’s decent. I went back to S1E1 and there were bullets flying all around during the gunfight scene...But I was using Logic7 to generate a 7.1 surround field.

The lack of 5.1 over optical must be a fluke of your system. It works just fine on mine. I'm running Disney+ on an XBOX One, connected via HDMI to a Samsung TV, with optical audio out to an older Yamaha receiver (which is 5.1 PCM-or-DSD-over-HDMI capable, but without DTS or Dolby lossless decoders). The receiver detects and decodes the Dolby stream just fine.

There could be a whole bunch of reasons why Optical works on one system but not another. However, I am definitely getting better than legacy Dolby Digital by going through the Oppo 205.

First words from the Mandalorian - "I can bring you in warm, or I can bring you in cold!"
He also will accept a fob and forgo a puck for the right price.

Checked my sound via the 205 with HDMI In -ROKU stick; and out either Toslink or Analog direct to Marantz 8500 receiver:

For me I believe its 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus at 48k either way (that's what the oppo says it is.) Probably limited to my ROKU stick specs., not sure what Disney + pushes on this show. The Mandalorian seems to be focused on mostly center channel for me (seems like a conservative mix in the rears)
Tried "The Phantom Menace" also, and it was much more aggressive in the rears.

Now if someone can please direct me to a rear tube?
What is Dolby Digital plus ? DD+
I get it on Amazon Prime streaming but not on Netflix.

I still say if you can find an Oppo 103 on eBay for under $400 (which I’ve seen several sell in the mid $300 range lately); it’s a f***n’ steal. And I believe they have apps that the 20xs don’t have.
I'd suggest the 105 with/with out Darby is the one to have. Decoding all formats short of Atmos with very high quality analog out is a real advantage. And yes, the 103/105 has youtube, hulu, vudu, etc that the 2xx doesn't have. Since I have a projector, not a smart TV, that's enough reason right there for me not to get a newer oppo. Yeah yeah I know there's other ways to stream but this integrates so well & easy no glitches.

I'd suggest the 105 with/with out Darby is the one to have. Decoding all formats short of Atmos with very high quality analog out is a real advantage. And yes, the 103/105 has youtube, hulu, vudu, etc that the 2xx doesn't have. Since I have a projector, not a smart TV, that's enough reason right there for me not to get a newer oppo. Yeah yeah I know there's other ways to stream but this integrates so well & easy no glitches.
I haven’t priced the 105s, but I suspect they’re higher priced; but yes, better features and also could be a great buy. Agree that the prices on the 2xx models are just crazy!

I haven’t priced the 105s, but I suspect they’re higher priced; but yes, better features and also could be a great buy. Agree that the prices on the 2xx models are just crazy!
I think the 2's are priced higher because of 4K.
Another advantage of the 1's is they have HDCD decoders. There are some good Audio Fidelity HDCD selections.

I still say if you can find an Oppo 103 on eBay for under $400 (which I’ve seen several sell in the mid $300 range lately); it’s a f***n’ steal. And I believe they have apps that the 20xs don’t have.

I was curious what the market was for used Oppo 103's on Ebay now...I think paying $500 is not a bad deal...and there are some available at that price point...105's are scarce right now on Ebay...

Back