Oppo 205 for HD quality 5.1 audio from streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for Oppo 105 users
I'm considering purchase of a back up Oppo player. I play several hundred home brewed DVD-A. These discs and DSOTM quad will not play on my Sony X-800.
I currently own an Oppo 203 but am a little paranoid that at some point Oppo will no longer repair these.
I use HDMI out on the Oppo. My AVR doesn't have analog inputs. The parametric EQ on my AVR is able to individually adjust each output channel. Plus I get room correction and bass management.
I can't see any reason I would ever use analog outputs on my back up player or value a player with a better DAC.

So the question is: Should I purchase a used Oppo 105 or 103.

If you want an easy way to rip SACDs, an Oppo 103 or 105 is a great way to go.

Do the 103 and/or 105 have the ARC feature? If so, that would allow for decoding of streamed HD audio for those with legacy receivers/processors.
No, but they do have two HDMI inputs, so if you can spare the ARC port on your TV, you could connect it to one of the 103/105(D)'s inputs and use its decoders, processors, and DACs to output up to 7.1 channel surround sound over RCA. This can be done headless using the remote to select the appropriate HDMI input, which will be displayed on the front of the unit.

No, but they do have two HDMI inputs, so if you can spare the ARC port on your TV, you could connect it to one of the 103/105(D)'s inputs and use its decoders, processors, and DACs to output up to 7.1 channel surround sound over RCA. This can be done headless using the remote to select the appropriate HDMI input, which will be displayed on the front of the unit.

They do have ARC but I have never used it. I have 4 devices connected via HDMI using a 3 port switch. Works great with Harmony hub remote.

Do the 103 and/or 105 have the ARC feature? If so, that would allow for decoding of streamed HD audio for those with legacy receivers/processors.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Edit...TV with built in smart features? With no other audio output available, ARC would definitely be needed.

Last edited:
Bidder 134 "choked" at the 8 second mark...he lost...$985 was the winner
I have the 105 (not D) and the price on the Oppo web site was $1200. I bought a refurbished one (still working perfect) & I don't remember exactly the cost but I think it was a bit under $1k. So while $985 is a goodly chunk 'o change it seems a reasonable price for something like a 105D even if used.

I have the 105 (not D) and the price on the Oppo web site was $1200. I bought a refurbished one (still working perfect) & I don't remember exactly the cost but I think it was a bit under $1k. So while $985 is a goodly chunk 'o change it seems a reasonable price for something like a 105D even if used.

If you USE the analog connections...any of the Oppo 5's are good....I agree that was a reasonable price...for NOW....the market dictates the value...just supply and demand...there is more demand than supply...now THIS is unrealistic

Back