Oppo 205 for HD quality 5.1 audio from streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know anything about the 95s; at that price wouldn't a 103 be or even a 105 be much better though?
I remember...at the time....that for people who would use the analog connections....the 95 was preferred over the 103...the "5's" are the audiophile versions...the 95 was the audiophile version of the 93...so on thru the 2 series.. I can't speak from experience because I never used the analog connections...so I wasn't really interested in the "5's"

If you USE the analog connections...any of the Oppo 5's are good....I agree that was a reasonable price...for NOW....the market dictates the value...just supply and demand...there is more demand than supply...now THIS is unrealistic
Yup that's why I bought a 105 instead of a three.... I knew I would always be using both the 2 ch & multi-channel output & I wanted confidence that the quality was the best I could afford. I did not get the Darby version because of the advanced processing in my Panny projector. It has worked out well.

Didn't the last 4k Oppo's go for crazy high prices when everyone was panic buying with Opp stopping sales?

Yup that's why I bought a 105 instead of a three.... I knew I would always be using both the 2 ch & multi-channel output & I wanted confidence that the quality was the best I could afford. I did not get the Darby version because of the advanced processing in my Panny projector. It has worked out well.

Didn't the last 4k Oppo's go for crazy high prices when everyone was panic buying with Opp stopping sales?

You mean like this

I remember...at the time....that for people who would use the analog connections....the 95 was preferred over the 103...the "5's" are the audiophile versions...the 95 was the audiophile version of the 93...so on thru the 2 series.. I can't speak from experience because I never used the analog connections...so I wasn't really interested in the "5's"

I'm very pleased w my 203 and analogs into old ass pioneer avr...I'd like a 105 or 205...but he'll I'm gonna get a newer AVR and then probably go w HDMI which I've successfully avoided till now....so do I really need a 105 or 205....I guess not really...if it weren't for that damn object $$$ lol

You mean like this
How crazy is that?
Ironically my old Sony Blu-ray player was dying right about the time Oppo announced they would stop production. I had been looking at the 205 anyway and pulled the trigger just in time to get it at regular price. I use it as a DAC for music files as well. It's like the swiss army knife of audio components!

How crazy is that?
Ironically my old Sony Blu-ray player was dying right about the time Oppo announced they would stop production. I had been looking at the 205 anyway and pulled the trigger just in time to get it at regular price. I use it as a DAC for music files as well. It's like the swiss army knife of audio components!
The very day Oppo announced they were leaving this market with their players I ordered my 205 direct from them. The only thing I wish it had was those apps for Netflix etc. but that's covered with other gear, so OK then.

The very day Oppo announced they were leaving this market with their players I ordered my 205 direct from them. The only thing I wish it had was those apps for Netflix etc. but that's covered with other gear, so OK then.

Well looky here a oppo 103d just got delivered to me...will be removing 203 n inserting 103d in system tomorrow :)

Lucky you. The day I saw the announcement I was leaving on a two week trip and didn’t want it delivered while I was away. Of course, by the time I got back they were all gone and I was like number 3000 (no joking) on the wait list. Fortunately, another QQ member eventually came through and “made my day.” :)

Lucky you. The day I saw the announcement I was leaving on a two week trip and didn’t want it delivered while I was away. Of course, by the time I got back they were all gone and I was like number 3000 (no joking) on the wait list. Fortunately, another QQ member eventually came through and “made my day.” :)

And I didn't find out Oppo had withdrawn from the market until many months later. I'd love a 205, but prices are ludicrous. There's a market for a company to buy the rights from Oppo and make another batch.

And I didn't find out Oppo had withdrawn from the market until many months later. I'd love a 205, but prices are ludicrous. There's a market for a company to buy the rights from Oppo and make another batch.
I also was like no 3000 or something...sad I tried to get one...oh well hopefully someone will eventually come close

I was "away from audio" for about 22 years. I came back and was just figuring out that an Oppo would be in my future when they announced they were quitting. A local audiophile, new friend of mine, had "won the Oppo lottery" and got a second one. (205) He was kind enough to sell it to me for what he paid for it. I did give him a nice gift later. I consider myself very lucky.

Last edited:
I remember being excited to get the 205 when it came out. I drove down and picked it up in person (because San Francisco is only a short distance north of their old location). It seemed that the operation was quite bare bones at that point - I believe the guy I got the box from was actually an engineer. It was not like visiting a major production facility. I kind of liked the 'start-up' feel of that, but it did not augur well for the future. In only a few month they announced they were shutting down. I'm still sad about this and sorry that people are now having to pay such large sums to get hold of Oppo tech.

... There's a market for a company to buy the rights from Oppo and make another batch.

Agree. There could be a business plan in a well-funded company picking up the IP and perhaps even some of the key personnel to bring back the Oppo style and quality - if not its brand name.

Back