OPPO BDP-103 Analog Outs to [insert musical 5.1 receiver here] - Looking for opinions, reviews, advice

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the 103 going into an Onkyo TX-Nr609, DSD however is down-converted to 44k 16bit, which seems to defeat the purpose (DSD is output over HDMI 2 from the Oppo, HDMI 1 outputs PCM from SACD)
If I might deviate from topic momentarily...do you have any problems with the HDMI board on your NR609? When I barely had warranty left I sent my 609 to be fixed, but it eventually started up again with more problems. Onkyo was well aware of the problems, and I was able to pay I think $200 and send them my removed serial number for a newer model (NR656) shipped to me.
I keep meaning to pull the board on the 609 and update to better caps which supposedly fixes it-but just haven't got to it.

If I might deviate from topic momentarily...do you have any problems with the HDMI board on your NR609? When I barely had warranty left I sent my 609 to be fixed, but it eventually started up again with more problems. Onkyo was well aware of the problems, and I was able to pay I think $200 and send them my removed serial number for a newer model (NR656) shipped to me.
I keep meaning to pull the board on the 609 and update to better caps which supposedly fixes it-but just haven't got to it.
I bought it 2nd hand about 5 years ago, straight away I noticed some random static coming out of the rear right surround but it seems to sort of go away as it warms up, and you only hear it when its quiet, so I haven't really been too distracted by it. (Actually now you mention it I haven't heard it in a while, so maybe its fixed itself, I have a thing with intermittent faults which seem to go away for long periods of time).

I use a 20 year old Pioneer Elite VSX37 multichannel inputs for my Oppo 105 analog 7.1 outputs. It is rated for use with 5.1 inputs; however, it will accept 7.1 with a minor change. I connect the HDMI video directly to a Pioneer Elite Plasma TV. I realize these units are archaic compared to today's equipment; however, each does the job well. The Pioneer receiver is essentially as a pass through to the speakers and all the processing occurs in the Oppo.
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-37TX

Minor update: the UMC-200 unit I found does NOT decode DSD. I'm not too bothered by that. I'm been outputting DSD as PCM from my OPPO 103 for years, and I haven't been able to tell the difference, so far.
Emotiva does have units that handle DSD, but there are well outside my budget, at this point.

Minor update: the UMC-200 unit I found does NOT decode DSD. I'm not too bothered by that. I'm been outputting DSD as PCM from my OPPO 103 for years, and I haven't been able to tell the difference, so far.
Emotiva does have units that handle DSD, but there are well outside my budget, at this point.
Mike, I mentioned that in post #173. And I agree. Its not worth getting your panties in a bunch.

IMO, the audiophiles who think they can tell a difference between direct DSD-to-analog conversion and DSD->PCM->analog are the same types who believe their cables sound better if they're elevated off the floor on little stands. :rolleyes:

1579115559529.png

The UMC-200 will not accept DSD over HDMI. I'm not even sure the Oppo will pass DSD over HDMI. You will be limited to the 103's analog outputs. It used to be that nothing would pass DSD over HDMI, but I think there are now components that can.
My OPPO BDP-103 and Sony x800 both pass DSD over HDMI. And my Denon x6400H can handle it. I just haven't figured out how to get the Denon to apply bass-management (and possibly room correction) to it.
No bother though, as we've discussed, DSD can be converted to PCM and I'm good to go. I'll be able to use either the OPPO's HDMI or analog outs. I'll likely experiment with both!

My OPPO BDP-103 and Sony x800 both pass DSD over HDMI. And my Denon x6400H can handle it. I just haven't figured out how to get the Denon to apply bass-management (and possibly room correction) to it.
No bother though, as we've discussed, DSD can be converted to PCM and I'm good to go. I'll be able to use either the OPPO's HDMI or analog outs. I'll likely experiment with both!

Curious to hear the results:
Analog out using the Oppo DAC or
HDMI out using the A-800 DAC.

@MCDave - it's interesting to hear you have the same setup with a 105D into vintage ADCOM amps. Even with the 105D at max volume I hear very little hiss from the tweeters of my SVS bookshelf speakers, and depending on source, I can't listen at max volume in my medium sized room. Usually have it around 70 for most sources. I've had about five different systems over the years and this setup has the cleanest sound. What speakers do you use?

@MCDave - it's interesting to hear you have the same setup with a 105D into vintage ADCOM amps. Even with the 105D at max volume I hear very little hiss from the tweeters of my SVS bookshelf speakers, and depending on source, I can't listen at max volume in my medium sized room. Usually have it around 70 for most sources. I've had about five different systems over the years and this setup has the cleanest sound. What speakers do you use?
I agree, those ADCOM amps were great gear. I had several back in the day, preamps too, and a stereo DAC, all ADCOM. I eventually switched to a 5ch B&K,

That stuff goes back to the 90's, Have you had any reliability issues over time?

I have an ADCOM power conditioner from when I was using that ADCOM gear. It's now collecting dust in my storage closet. Anyone interested?

I'm pretty convinced the noise disparity between Mikes 103 experience and MCdave's and your apparent success with the direct 105 path is due to a combination of the sensitivity difference MCdave previously laid out and the poorer quality 24 bit platform of the103.

Does it seem like the general trend in amp sensitivity changed as digital formats took over from analog formats in the marketplace? I think sensitivity ratings used to be generally higher in the analog days, and that's not far from when the designs for that ADCOM gear were born.

Receivers trade off amp capability to house all that other processing stuff.
Not always true. Depends on brand and price point.
I read a guy's review on Amazon, where he says he uses an A-800 to power his surround and height channels, for Atmos. I guess that means his fronts and center are powered off his AVR. So, maybe it is possible? In the channel assignments of your Yamaha?
I've heard some very nice Yamaha AVRs with analogue inputs that outperformed the Denon and the Onkyo AVRs I had on hand. This was three years ago, but still I was blown away at the feature sent and sound quality of the Yamaha my friend has. Just smoother and a little less effort in the delivery. The DACs in the Yamaha were better was my impression when using that feature set.

I'm actually using a 205 these days. Love the Adcoms. I'm using five Revel M106 speakers along with a pair of Mirage BPS-400 subs (I love vintage gear).

Does it seem like the general trend in amp sensitivity changed as digital formats took over from analog formats in the marketplace? I think sensitivity ratings used to be generally higher in the analog days, and that's not far from when the designs for that ADCOM gear were born.

You may be right; I haven't really been watching. My favorite amps to buy new these days are the ones from ATI, which are said to be among the quietest amps you can get. I believe @Kal Rubinson reviewed one of their class D amps in an installment of Music In The Round and he was smitten.

As a data point, the ATI line are relatively insensitive, which would in most cases make them a good choice to drive from an Oppo. Check these numbers out:

1579191187566.png

The class D AT54x and AT542 have 2.5V rated sensitivity, which is really high for a power amp. The industry standard for preamp outputs seems to be 2V, so I think you'd have a hard time finding a pre/pro that is capable of driving these to full output. But look at those power ratings, which are for all channels driven!

Back